Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2003 12:53:55 AM EDT
Fredricksburg, VA permit holders beware!!!

The Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star is publishing a list of area residents who have concealed handgun permits.

Great idea Free Lance - let's tell all the criminals which houses to burgle in order to get some guns!  Great service to the community.

Maybe the editor and senior people at the Free Lance should publish their personal home addresses so that they, too, can spend quality
time with some of those cuddly little felons.

Here is the link:

[url]http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/weaponspermits[/url]

If you find publishing CHP holder's names and addresses to be a pretty stupid idea and to be endangering of the citizens of Virginia, let them know about it.  Just because they have the right to publish public information does not necessarily make it the smart or correct thing to do:

[email][email protected][/email]

What a bunch of morons!
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 1:30:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Stupid FCKN idiots is more like it.

I'll email those stupid lame FCKS in the morning.  

Ya, real newsworthy.

I'm gonna ask the stupid lame FCKS if they have a searchable criminal database on their website.  Criminal records are a matter of public record too.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 1:50:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Email sent.

I will finally use the term...

What a bunch of "AssClowns"!
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 3:07:50 AM EDT
[#3]
The more I think about this, the more it infuriates me.

Do they not realize the consequences of their actions??? Apparently, they don't.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 3:24:10 AM EDT
[#4]
The county paper tried to do that here a few years back. Sheriff told them to stuff it and refused to give them a list. Turned into a bit od a tiff, but in the end they had no list to publish.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 3:33:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Not that anyone cares, but this is what I sent
Just what is wrong with you people?  I cannot believe that you would publish the names, in a searchable database no less, of law abiding citizens excercising their constitutional rights.  Hopefully the first of these gunowners who is robbed of their firearms while away at work will know about this list and sue you.  Do you ever stop and think of the consequences of your actions?
If this list remains, I expect you to post a list immediately of all the blacks, gays, jews, muslims, and all other law abiding minorities.  While you're at it, why not post a list of all registered voters in your area and their political affiliations?
This is despicable, and I personally find it even sadder that this has occured in the South.
View Quote

Those of you that are asking if they post lists of felons, its not the same.  As I said in my email they are calling out law abiding citizens, and possibly causing them harm.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 3:56:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I sent this letter to them. I sent it three times. We need to really jump on this and show them how ridiculous their idea really is.

"Your website offering a search tool to locate gun permit holders is the height of lunacy. What moron at your paper came up with that idea? If you're intent on assisting burglars, why not publish the street numbers with the name so the burglar won't have to go to the trouble of looking through the telephone book.  Just because a record is a matter of public record doesn't mean you have to bring it to everyone's attention. If a homeowner comes to harm as a result of your little stunt I hope they sue your paper for every dime you have.  As crazy as the courts are these days, a burglar might sue you if they were harmed during the course of a burglary by saying they were encouraged to burglarize a house for weapons, based on the information from your web site."
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 4:01:39 AM EDT
[#7]
IDIOTS!!!!!!!!! What are they thinking???
View Quote

FYI: [url]www.RKBA.org/antis/hci-master[/url]Allege 1993 feinstein/hci master plan
PRETEXT for TOTAL Gun Freedom Confiscation Dis-Armament.

[size=1] 33 Making Gun Owners Records and Photos matter of public record
    We would have to assemble a legal team, in order to investigate the
    balance of the right to privacy and the right to safeguard the public.
    We fully endorse the photographing and fingerprinting of all gun
    owners, however, these records are usually relegated to law
    enforcement use only.  [b]We think that it would be a good idea to make
    these records public, so that the communities can have the knowledge
    of who poses a danger to their community before disaster strikes.[/b]
    We realize that this proposal would probably be controversial, thus
    [b]a long public affairs campaign would have to be initiated in order
    to build public support[/b] and ease the transition of such an idea.
    We feel that this idea has merit, and can be justified via the past
    publication of the names of water wasters during drought,
    customers for prostitution, and deadbeat parents who are delinquent
    on child support.[/size]

^^^
[size=1]^   Million Gun Freedom March on Washington July 4th, 2003.
[url]www.Cures-not-wars.org/[/url] Truth Will Liberate Earth.
[url]www.RKBA.org/antis/hci-master[/url]Allege 1993 feinstein/hci master plan
PRETEXT for TOTAL Gun Freedom Confiscation Dis-Armament.
[url]http://www.DigitalAngel.net/[/url]Revelation 13:18  ID-GPS-MONEY BAN Human Power Implant Micro-chip

Never Again, Never Forget --  Seek the Truth , Liberate Your Mind -- We Are At War[/size=1]

FIXED BAYONETS

VX
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 7:25:32 AM EDT
[#8]
PKennedy,

You may want to tell the about the "Observer" group of local papers up here in Fairfax Co who did the samething until they were threated w/a suit.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 8:46:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I just spent a bit of time writing a letter to the publishers of fredericksburg.com and carbon copied my email to GOA, and a few local Virginia gun owner's groups. I included the url of the database to those groups as well to make it easy for them to locate the offending piece of garbage.

I hope the lawsuit is painful for the publishers.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 9:28:57 AM EDT
[#10]
If this information is public, then doesn't that defeat the idea of concealment?

If I can legally obtain this information, even if it wasn't published in the newspaper, then I can find out if a coworker has a permit, and get him fired, etc.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 9:30:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I just spent a bit of time writing a letter to the publishers of fredericksburg.com and carbon copied my email to GOA, and a few local Virginia gun owner's groups.
View Quote
Also try the Fredericksburg Chamber of Commerce - [url]http://www.fredericksburgchamber.org/index.asp[/url] since the people who advertise with that news paper/website stand to loose business from all of us who will no longer visit there.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 9:33:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I emailed the paper this morning, thinking their search tool was a new feature. The editor that relpied said they've been doing this for a long time.  Any way they slice it, it's a bad idea.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 9:51:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just spent a bit of time writing a letter to the publishers of fredericksburg.com and carbon copied my email to GOA, and a few local Virginia gun owner's groups. I included the url of the database to those groups as well to make it easy for them to locate the offending piece of garbage.

I hope the lawsuit is painful for the publishers.
View Quote

Which groups?  Just curious, as I don't want to send out redundant mails.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 9:58:24 AM EDT
[#14]

Editor,

I am absolutely appalled that your news organization has published and made a searchable list of the names and streets of all concealed weapons permit holders!

This is not "news" and it serves NO PUBLIC SAFETY purpose at all.  The background of EVERY one of these people have been investigated by the state of Virginia and have come up clean.

By doing so, the Free Lance-Star news organization has assisted in the identification and harrassment of innocent citizens.  

*** You've made it easier for extremists or mentally unstable people to locate and harrass private gunowners. Would you ever post the names and streets of all local Abortion doctors???

*** You've allowed thieves and burglars a much easier way to identify  many of those who own guns and who could now become targets for criminals seeking to steal guns.

*** You've identified by name and street persons who may already have an urgent and legitimate purpose to carry CONCEALED weapons - such as women victims of abusive husbands/boyfriends who need to carry concealed weapons for their immediate protection - ANONYMOUSLY!

The actions of your news organization have now put at greater risk MANY private, law-abiding citizens who already obviously may have an urgent need for protection and anonymity.

This is just another unprofessional and disgusting attempt by so-called "journalists" to abuse their position in the press to label and harrass innocent private citizens who just happen to be law-abiding gunowners.

When you're through "outing" these gunowners, will you also do the same for:
- Abortion doctors,
- adopted children,
- welfare-recipients,
- witnesses who testify against criminals,
- disabled parking-permit holders,
- non-citizen immigrants,
- Muslims,
- Jews...

You people are absolutely disgusting and are a prime example of a biased, slanted and irresponsible bunch of hacks that use their position in the media not to report "news" but to advance their own leftwing sociopolitical views and goals on the rest of society.

Signed,

T. Macallan,
A VERY concerned gunowner.

Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:11:44 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The editor that relpied said they've been doing this for a long time.
View Quote
Oh I see... I guess it's okay then.

[b][red]FUCKERS!!![/RED][/B] [stick]

[pissed]

Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:28:58 AM EDT
[#16]
The_Macallan, that was very nicely done!

This is pretty infuriating.  What's equally infuriating is that this kind of information is public record.  Why should the government have a record of whether or not I choose to exercise my God given right to self protection?  More importantly, why should I have to be licensed to exercise that right?
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:31:38 AM EDT
[#17]
I can't find it now...did they take it down?
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:45:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, the offending page is failing to load.  It's either being pinged unmercifully (great) or Fredericksburg.com is taking it down or making it unavailable.

As a side note, my e-mails to their publishing contacts failed.  Evidently those addresses (listed on their contacts page) are unknown or unrecognized.  Sounds like they got a lot of nastygrams and changed their emails or put a filter on the subject line.

I am going to resend to anyone on their contacts list I can get at.

The other orgs I contacted were: The Virginia Citizen's Defense League, Gun Owners of America, and Virginia Shooting Sports Association.  Has any one notified Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership?  This should interest them.

Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:58:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Rather be labeled as a owner than not.  Not is like a big sign that says, he's easy rob him.
View Quote

THis in theory would be good, but what if the thugs break in during the day when nobody is home, or just the wife, or the kids?  
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 11:00:48 AM EDT
[#21]
I can't believe that the list would be disclosed in the first place.  Its like publishing a list of where to find the botulism disease.  Only the bad guys would have such a need for that information!
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 11:04:35 AM EDT
[#22]
I wonder if they have a searchable database for registered sex offenders??
I doubt it.....
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 11:59:02 AM EDT
[#23]
All liberals think that will be good if implemented is only good in theory, which is exactly same to communism.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 12:14:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Here's what the pathetic loser wrote back:

--- Chris Muldrow wrote:
Thank you for your note.
The Free Lance-Star and Fredericksburg.com have been publishing these
records since Virginia began requiring the concealed weapons permits
about 5
years ago. All of these records are made available at the circuit court
office--they are released as public record and are thus available for
public
consumption.
Chris Muldrow, editor, Fredericksburg.com
View Quote

Here's my response to his pathetic response:

Dude-

So I guess there's no logical reason then.

Thanks for dodging the question.

Pathetic.
View Quote

The original:

Dude-

Is there a logical reason why concealed weapons permit
holders are listed by NAME on your website?  You plan
on contacting their kids teachers or something?
Doctor?  Church?  Friends?  Relatives?  Veterinarian?

And why the partial address?  Where's the spouses
name?  Kids?  Don't hold back.  I want to know if this
is the same guy whose daughter my child visits and a
simple street name doesn't suffice.  I don't really
have the time to go down to the county courthouse
either.

I suppose you also plan to run all the names daily on
your newsstand issue as well?  Frontpage right?  DO
you even have a newsstand issue?  THIS IS NEWSWORTHY
RIGHT?  

By the way, where's the criminal database link on your
webpage?  I want to see if there are any criminals
residing near me and I don't have the time to go down
to the courthouse.

You losers are truly pathetic!
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/6/2003 12:16:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Try this loser's email:

[b]Chris Muldrow
[email protected][/b]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 1:42:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Find out who publishes the paper, and start publishing data on him.  And his staff.  Should be public knowledge.

TXLEWIS
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 1:44:55 PM EDT
[#27]
[b]WE WON THIS BATTLE GOOD!!![/b]   [bounce]  

01/06/03  

"After discussions here in the Fredericksburg.com office, we've decided there's not a compelling need to have a searchable database of concealed weapons permits available on the site and have removed the searchable database."

Chris Muldrow
Editor, fredericksburg.com

[URL=http://fredtalk.fredericksburg.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=openforum&Number=26606&page=&view=&sb=&o=&fpart=2&vc=1]Fredricksberg .com Discussion Forum [/URL]
View Quote
WHOO-HOO!!!  [bounce]

Well done! Thanks [b]pkennedy[/b] for first alerting us to this.

Gunowners everywhere (including here and FA) must have melted their email terminals with all the flames they musta got!!

[frag]
[rocket]

[:D]

Link Posted: 1/6/2003 1:58:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
[b]WE WON THIS BATTLE GOOD!!![/b]   [bounce]  

01/06/03  

"After discussions here in the Fredericksburg.com office, we've decided there's not a compelling need to have a searchable database of concealed weapons permits available on the site and have removed the searchable database."

Chris Muldrow
Editor, fredericksburg.com

[URL=http://fredtalk.fredericksburg.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=openforum&Number=26606&page=&view=&sb=&o=&fpart=2&vc=1]Fredricksberg .com Discussion Forum [/URL]
View Quote
WHOO-HOO!!!  [bounce]

Well done! Thanks [b]pkennedy[/b] for first alerting us to this.

Gunowners everywhere (including here and FA) must have melted their email terminals with all the flames they musta got!!

[frag]
[rocket]

[:D]

View Quote

[b]Well Done!!!![/b]

I want to personally thank everyone here who contributed! This is a war we must continue to wage. As we fight each battle, I am proud to stand next to all of you!

You guys were great, and this just shows you what we can accomplish when we all work together.

A special thanks to Philip Van Cleave of the Virginia Citizen's Defense League [url]www.vcdl.org[/url] for bringing this to my attention.

Link Posted: 1/6/2003 2:11:13 PM EDT
[#29]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just what is wrong with you people? I cannot believe that you would publish the names, in a searchable database no less, of law abiding citizens excercising their constitutional rights. Hopefully the first of these gunowners who is robbed of their firearms while away at work will know about this list and sue you. Do you ever stop and think of the consequences of your actions?
If this list remains, I expect you to post a list immediately of all the blacks, gays, jews, muslims, and all other law abiding minorities. While you're at it, why not post a list of all registered voters in your area and their political affiliations?
This is despicable, and I personally find it even sadder that this has occured in the South.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I care,  my response was knee jerk...I will forward this.   Thanks my clear minded friend.

-HS
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 2:15:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 2:48:37 PM EDT
[#31]
I e-mailed Chris with my complaint at his papers publishing this list earlier today.

NOW, I will send him another e-mail THANKING him for listening to our cries and removing this list.

I suggest everyone else does too.

This is how we wing the war guy's, one well planned battle at a time. Let's let Chris know we appreciate his willingness to listen to us and do the right thing. His e-mail box should be just as flooded with thanks as it was complaints.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 3:02:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
His e-mail box should be just as flooded with thanks as it was complaints.
View Quote

Already sent.

[email protected]

Editor,

Thank you very much for removing the list of names and streets of Concealed Weapon Permit holders from your news website.

I wrote a strongly-worded email this morning regarding this and I am glad that the editorial staff have reconsidered their actions.

I appreciate you doing what's right for all law-abiding citizens of your community and respecting ALL citizens' right to privacy and safety.

Thank you again,

T. Macallan,
A concerned gunowner
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top