[#1]
That would be Showtime Extreme.

On right now.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 6:52:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Seen it, loved it. The SAS kicks ass!!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 7:08:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Was originally made for TV (BBC). I got a copy back then.

There is one good firefight scene.  The rest of the film is painfully boring.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#4]
For those interested, it's been available on region 1 DVD for some time now
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 9:27:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 9:29:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Was originally made for TV (BBC). I got a copy back then.

View Quote

That's because it was a true story of a true event. If it was another hollywood action movie I'm sure it could be more entertaining.

Andy McNab was the advisor to the film and author of the book by the same name.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 9:30:04 PM EDT
[#8]
It's been at the local Hollywood Video for a while now. So it came out in the US...
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 10:28:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's been at the local Hollywood Video for a while now. So it came out in the US...
View Quote

Uhhhh... US = Region 1 [slap]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 10:32:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Perhaps "Windtalkers" is more your style? [nuts]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 10:53:49 PM EDT
[#11]
The thing about a movie is, it's gotta be over in a couple hours, three at most.  Hard to tell the story in any kind of detail in that time, and so much needed explaining, again hard to do in a movie.

I rented the video, and while the book was great, I rewound after it was about 2/3-3/4 over.  One of the things I didn't like was some cheap ass special effects, like when they were supposed to be under fire with more than small arms.  The impacts were pretty  minimal, all flash & nothing else.

Link Posted: 1/5/2003 11:04:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah,I watched it. The book was good. Movie was a bit lame(go figure). See it was filmed in South Africa.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 1:06:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 2:27:41 AM EDT
[#14]
I didn't think it was that great of a flick.

Link Posted: 1/6/2003 7:45:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Any one read "Immediate Action", it's McNabb's life getting into and being in the SAS.  A lot of 'English' slang, but a pretty good book.  I'm pretty sure he wrote it after Bravo 2-0.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 7:56:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I got this from Netflix a couple discs ago. Somewhat entertaining, but quite interesting. Still way way better than [i]Wind Breakers[/i] and [i]The Thin Red Plot[/i]. The dialect was a bit harsh though.

Bippity boppity boopity arse.

Quiggly biggly quins pins too?

Wazzly woo fuzzly boo shiny thing.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 8:29:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Any one read "Immediate Action", it's McNabb's life getting into and being in the SAS.  A lot of 'English' slang, but a pretty good book.  I'm pretty sure he wrote it after Bravo 2-0.
View Quote

Yeah, great book. If anyone plans on reading both of McNabb's books, read Immediate Action first.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 11:12:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Not a flame, but his assumed nom-de-plume is "McNab."  That is not his real name, so I am told.  He doesn't want the "boys" from the IRA to look him up.

"Bravo Two-Zero" is a very good read (I haven't seen the movie, and didn't know it existed until this post).  He mentions three items he calls "excellent bit of kit."  They are:

Gore-Tex boots;
Small, but good quality, pocket binos; and,
USGI poncho liners.

"Immediate Action" has two hilarious moments:

(1) The improvisation that allows his unit to use their sunglasses under triple-canopy jungle; and

(2) The aftermath of a "Dear John" letter party involving hexie stoves, a lot of alcohol, spam, underwear, burning grass (and, did I mention, their encampment was next to the officers' club?).

I'm going to find the movie version of "Bravo" post haste.

Small spoiler:  There is something very chilling in one of the book photos of the squad.  You see eight faces, five of which have the eyes blocked out (to hide identity).  You are thus allowed to look into the eyes of three men who do not need to hide their identities any longer.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 12:29:24 AM EDT
[#19]
The movie bit ass.  I saw it after I read the book, and didn't think they edited it very well.  I guess it was kinda cool to "see" some of the things that he talks about in the book though.  The book is where it's at.  Yeah, he's a brit, but he's a badass nonetheless.  Like the other guy said, if you wanna read his books, read Immediate Action 1st.  It's a good autobiography, and a great precursor to Bravo Two Zero.  His fiction is outstanding as well.

Oh, and a bit of trivia.  Did you guys know Mcnab was the technical advisor for Heat?
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 12:38:36 AM EDT
[#20]
They should have greased that shepherd boy.  Funny, some US special forces operating inside Iraq were ratted out by a little Iraqi girl who found their hide out too. Again, should have greased the kid.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 4:22:32 AM EDT
[#21]
I thought one funny thing in the book was the way they a coveted the US MRE's. Seems it was quite common for the various squads to exchange rations. They loved the big spoons in the US kit.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 4:31:52 AM EDT
[#22]
I have the book and the DVD. It would be kind of hard to follow the action in the movie if you don't read the book first. In fact, don't bother with the movie if you don't read the book because you won't like it much.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 9:38:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They should have greased that shepherd boy.  Funny, some US special forces operating inside Iraq were ratted out by a little Iraqi girl who found their hide out too. Again, should have greased the kid.
View Quote

3 very good reasons were given why they didn't. I tend to agree with their reasoning.

Best deal I've seen on this movie is here:

[url]http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?style=MOVIE&pid=2278173&cart=134307347[/url]

[img]http://cover09.cduniverse.com/MuzeVideoArt/186860.jpg[/img]

VHS $16.45
DVD $25.79
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 6:06:39 PM EDT
[#24]
there is another movie version of this story called something like "Only One made it out"...It was based on "Chris's" version of the story (the guy who didnt get captured)
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:40:23 PM EDT
[#25]
[img]http://lookinside-images.amazon.com/Qffs+v35lepmnyWEWBC7jIxfNOVNUSAq06Gk/b2PSb1mTXRiQmI8J9KHbSRhlKpyx+N5lxHm1h8=[/img]

More pics and info here [url=https://www.amazon.com/dp/0440218802?tag=arfcom00-20#reader-link]Bravo Two Zero[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top