Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2003 8:20:02 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 8:28:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
It was reported that the man sat on the edge of the 100 foot overpass for 2+ hours prior to finally commiting suicide.  During which time, it was reported that authorities tried to talk him down / out of killing himself.

[red]Seconds after the police officer fired the stun gun, Wright jumped over a waist-high concrete retaining wall[/red] on the overpass where Texas 360 and Interstate 20 come together in southeast Arlington.

Wright fell an estimated 100 feet and was pronounced dead at the scene.

The police report that is publicly available made no mention of the stun gun.

View Quote

So the police spend 2+ hours trying to talk the guy down. They try to "stun" him. He jumps over a retaining wall and jumps to his death. Who's fault is that?

If he was "stunned" he wouldn't be able to move. That would make it impossible to jump over a retaining wall, wouldn't it?
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 8:31:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 8:35:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That's BS - he was sitting on the edge.  Not on the other side of the "waist high" retaining wall.  If I was the chief, I'd do some quick tap dancing too (making sh*t up to the press, AS THEY ALREADY HAVE) - knowing that vital information such as USING A STUN GUN was left out of the official report!!!!!

View Quote

Is that tampering with offical documents?
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 8:45:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 8:46:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey, what do you expect? The scumbag had already kept them from the donut shop for two hours, the SOB deserved to die.
And for you doubting thomases, a stun gun could not in any way cause a person to lose their balance, equilibrium or whatever and cause them to fall.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 8:47:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Or 82abn, was it a guy that was intent on commiting suicide? Could it be that the police on the scene knew he was about to go, and out of desperation resorted to the stun gun to try to disable him?
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 8:49:53 AM EDT
[#7]
What is going on down there? First it was the FW Police getting busted for the woman with the hood, now this. Are the cops getting dumber or is it just a string of bad luck with cameras and witness'.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 8:50:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 8:55:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Publicly available report, or press release?

In your quote, the news account of the photos, it indicates that the "jumper" was on the bridge side of the retaining wall. The PD tried to "stun" him. He jumped the wall and fell of the bridge.  Are you saying that the news guys are not telling the truth about where the guy was when the PD tried to taser him?
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 9:07:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 9:14:39 AM EDT
[#11]
The dead man wasn't a "jumper" till the police shot him.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 9:19:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I had read it, and I re-read it at your request.

I'm not sure about the incident, specifically if it is a good idea to taser a suicidal person on a high structure. But never say never.

In reading the reports it says that a police internal investigation is underway. I doubt that if an internal investigation is underway if they are releasing all the reports.

[red]The police report that is publicly available made no mention of the stun gun.[/red]

I'm not sure "publicly available" means it is all inclusive, or the actual report.

Unfortunatetly people sometimes want to "spin" incidents, like politicos, and it has no place in police work.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 9:28:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 9:32:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 9:35:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Roger that.  Press consultants or talking heads (for the department) shouldn't be given a big say so.

Is this a fairly new integration?
View Quote

I didn't mean they neccesarily had "pro spinners". Lots of people like to explain things in a way that makes them look as good as possible. It takes more guts to say, "we tried doing some stuff, some of it didn't work out".

Police Chiefs are by their nature political types. They didn't get there by hard work and straight talk. They got there by some work, and a lot of hand shaking, and smooth talking. If you know what I mean.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 9:40:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 9:40:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Or 82abn, was it a guy that was intent on commiting suicide? [red]Could it be that the police on the scene knew he was about to go, and out of desperation resorted to the stun gun to try to disable him?[/red]
View Quote

Proactive policing

"Hello officer, why did you pull me over?"

[blue]"See that red light up there? You were about to run it."[/blue]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 9:46:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, Ponyboy, very cute. In the stories, it says the police used up to 4 negotiators (?) for between 2-3 hours trying to talk the guy down.  It is possible that in that 2+ hours they were getting nowhere and were getting to a point that they knew, based on how the talk was going, what the subject was saying, what his body language was, what his mental state was, etc. that they knew their talking to him was not working.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 9:53:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yeah, Ponyboy, very cute.  
View Quote

Thanks, you aren't too bad yourself...
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 10:08:48 AM EDT
[#20]
You know, F$%k the dude who jumped, if he was a coward and jumped its his fault. dont blame a cop. May the jumper burn in hell.Cops didnt put him up there, he did.
GG
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 10:11:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 11:11:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Stun Gun or Taser?

Neither should be used on a 5150 Jumper, but they are not the same. Not even close to the same thing.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 1:57:40 AM EDT
[#23]
I understand that the city I am currently living in uses police dogs to reel in jumpers, and the city I used to work for was drafting plans to do the same.  I never understood how 85+ lunging dog would safely get someone off of thier suicide perch.  Yeah, the dog grabs 'em as he hits them.  Then he hangs on, with his teeth.  I always thought of it as a last ditch attempt to catch a jumper.  Don't think I would ever try it with the dog if I were the handler.

pat
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 2:06:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 3:40:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 8:11:30 AM EDT
[#26]
This is Texas!  They could've just lasso'd him!

[peep]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top