Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2014 4:29:24 PM EDT
Im failing to see the problem with an over budget post office.

Fire half the mailmen and deliver mail in split shifts.  instead of a mailman delivering to his whole area six days a week have him deliver mail to his area monday wednesday and friday and have him deliver to another area Tuesday thursday and saturday.  

Firing half the mailmen should make it affordable right?  How is this so hard to grasp for the people that run this shit?
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 4:44:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Gooberment employees.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 4:45:44 PM EDT
[#2]
USPO exists to deliver junk mail.

PERIOD.

Post Master General has stated as much.

Link Posted: 6/1/2014 4:52:27 PM EDT
[#3]
You have to figure 1st class mail and junk mail along with daily delivery won't exist in a couple of decades. The Post Office will still exist but I think it will be more focused on package/Priority-type flat rate delivery. I already get everything electronic and do all my banking/bill paying online or on my phone apps. I bet we'll even be primarily voting online in the next 20 years(in some states anyway).
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 4:54:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Im failing to see the problem with an over budget post office.

Fire half the mailmen and deliver mail in split shifts.  instead of a mailman delivering to his whole area six days a week have him deliver mail to his area monday wednesday and friday and have him deliver to another area Tuesday thursday and saturday.  

Firing half the mailmen should make it affordable right?  How is this so hard to grasp for the people that run this shit?
View Quote

If the Libs were serious about climate change they would be all for that, imagine the fuel savings nationwide if delivery days were halved. I think I recall reading somewhere years ago the the USPS is one of the largest consumers of gasoline/diesel in the country (in not the largest).
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 4:54:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

USPO exists to deliver junk mail.

PERIOD.

Post Master General has stated as much.

View Quote
And they are subsidized to do it!!!

Link Posted: 6/1/2014 4:59:34 PM EDT
[#6]
The USPS doesn't work any better or any worse than any other part of the government. They all flush bails of our money daily and get nothing of value done.
But if they are willing to cut this one we should take what we can get.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 5:12:42 PM EDT
[#7]
The problem is democrats refuse to make any changes.  There was a proposal a within the last month, to end delivery to your door, and force about 15 million people to install a mailbox.  

Delievering to a mailbox instead of delivering it to your door would save about 100 per customer per year.  With savings like that, the post office could even contract the job out (so there is no cost to homeowners, and by year 2 there would be savings.  

I get delivery to my door, and I would have 0 issues installing a mailbox.  Delivering mail on foot is inefficient.  I realize there are spots where delivering by foot may be the best choice, but lets convert the places we can, and go from there.  If they want to make more money install a cluster box in my neighboorhood (but make mine big enough that I only have the check it once a week)

I agree that mail every other day would be fine for residential, but there are some businesses that rely on 5 day a week mail service (or 6).  Maybe charge a fee of 50 a year.  We spend about 30 dollars a day on postage at work, so we wouldn't care about the fee, but I think most homeowners would opt out.  We don't receive mail on Saturday at work, since we are closed, so the post office already has no problem with certain addresses not receiving mail on certain days of the week.  (even if quite a few people opted in, there would still be significant savings.

I also find it funny the Democrats are pissed about 'prefunding' the pension plan.  Doesn't that make sense to do it that way.  If I was a postal employee, and knew I had a pension worth 500,000, I would much rather see a pension plan, and the NPV of 500k invested in it with my name.  It sure beats an index card that says 'IOU' on it.

Just ask some employees in Detroit what happens when governments don't save for pension plans they have promised.

Link Posted: 6/1/2014 5:17:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Was told they're cutting my post office hours down to six a day.  Oh well.  They got rid of the small mail box that was on a pole and replaced it with one of those big ones.  The small one would get jammed full of mail and with the reduced hours, they'll need a bigger box.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 5:23:40 PM EDT
[#9]
USPS delivers most all my bills, and I pay most of them by USPS.  I like my mail carrier, and the USPS around my parts.  They're not perfect, but few things are.  I can think of many many more wasteful/useless "goberment" programs and agencies.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 5:33:46 PM EDT
[#10]
How long have you worked for Fedex, OP?
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 6:01:38 PM EDT
[#11]
USPS delivery services still beat UPS or FedEx everyday.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 7:18:56 PM EDT
[#12]
All they have to do is ravage the management staff and they would have plenty of money for carriers.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:14:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Most USPS employees are in witness protection.  We need jobs for them somewhere.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:17:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Another post office thread full of fail, aids. the gay, stupidity, oops I posted while drunk and fail X2...........
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:18:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I thought they went broke because they were forced to pay into a slush fund for obummer care?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:19:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Another post office thread full of fail, aids. the gay, stupidity, oops I posted while drunk and fail X2...........
View Quote

those are sig brace and Hardley Abelson threads...
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:24:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL !

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top