Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2003 6:58:35 PM EDT
I was reading an article in the Airforce magazine the other day about the lazers that are being developed by the military.

I new we were working on them but I didn't realize we were so far along.

Can you imagine one mounted on an AC-130? Looks like Star Wars may not be too far away.

Link to article. http://www.afa.org/magazine/Dec2002/1202attack.asp

Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:02:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:39:22 PM EDT
[#2]
TRW has a system called THEL which recently shot down a number of Katusha rockets in rapid succession.  

[img]http://www.defense-update.com/directory/thel-beamer.jpg[/img]

Looks like Jeapers article covers the THEL already, but here's another article on it.-

[url]http://www.defense-update.com/directory/THEL.htm[/url]

The big problem with lasers isn't the laser istelf, but powering it.  The THEL takes a few 18 wheel sized trailers to make a complete system, though the laser istelf is small.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:01:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Currently we are in the process of mounting a high-powered chemical laser in a Boeing 747 to be used as an airborne ballistic missile defense.  The power problem was overcome by using a chemical powered laser rather than an electrical.  Breakthroughs on the use of lasers and miniature power supplies has led the US to be wary of the threat of troops being blinded by enemy lasers.  Actually Oakley is in the process of making laser protective lenses for their M Frame (quite popular with the military) just in case such a scenario were to occur on a battlefield.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:30:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I was reading an article in the Airforce magazine the other day about the lazers that are being developed by the military.

I new we were working on them but I didn't realize we were so far along.

Can you imagine one mounted on an AC-130? Looks like Star Wars may not be too far away.

Link to article.

[url]http://www.afa.org/magazine/Dec2002/1202attack.asp[/url]

View Quote
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#5]
wathcing "Future Guns" on discovery channel.

lasers, rail guns, OICW, fechetts.... toys toys toys
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 10:40:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Lasers aren't real practical for military use.  Best they could figure was that it could burn holes in the fuel tank of an attacking aircraft, then the fuel would leak out.
View Quote

A powerful enough laser would be a [i]devistating[/i] AA weapon, since there would be no need to lead the target, and no ability to dodge once aquired. Just burn enough holes in the plane and you'll damage something eventually (Same methodology as firing 20MM AP, just at the speed of light, and no impact force). Also, it should be noted that the structural strength of most missiles and military aircraft is in the [b]SKIN[/b]. If you make enough holes, it just breaks up...
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 10:51:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 12:46:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Nothing that throwing enough moeny at the problem won't cure[:)].  Actually the US has been able to solve other technical problems in the past with this method, and they weren't even as promising, nor had the potential that these do.  I'm sure it will cost us taxpayers billions, but it's almost a "for sure" thing when it comes down to it.  It's jsut a matter of time, and I'm betting not that much time in the greater scheme of things.

Ross
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 12:55:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 1:00:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I read that the military wants to move to rail guns to replace the 5 inch naval guns and their magazines and use charged and neutral particle beam weaponry(PBW) to destroy aircraft or missles.

Particle beams are just hydrogen ions accelerated to relatavistic velocities. All the heat of a high powered laser with the kinetic force of a cannon shell. Too bad they don't make a man-portable version. [:D]

Edited to say: And what the heck is wrong with me? I'm discussing lasers, rail guns, and PBW's at 4 in the morn. I should at least be ranting about the AWB sunset plans. [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top