Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2003 3:38:39 PM EDT
PITTSBURGH (Jan. 4) - In the latest in a string of vandalism carried out in the name of the Earth Liberation Front, members of the radical environmental group are claiming responsibility for a fire at a Pennsylvania auto dealership.

A posting on the group's Web site said the ``attack'' targeted SUVs in a fight ``to remove the profit motive from the killing of the natural environment.''

Jugs of gasoline were set ablaze under three vehicles, engulfing them and a nearby car in flames Wednesday at a dealership in Girard, about 110 miles north of Pittsburgh, FBI Special Agent Bob Rudge said. Three other vehicles also had jugs of gasoline set under them but failed to ignite.

``I have no reason to doubt that it's an individual who committed the acts on behalf of the Earth Liberation Front,'' Rudge said.

The FBI considers the Earth Liberation Front one of the nation's most prolific domestic terrorist organizations. It is thought to be responsible for the 1998 torching of a ski resort in Vail, Colo., an arson that caused $12 million in damage and is considered the most destructive act of eco-terrorism in U.S. history.

ELF is loosely organized. Anyone who carries out an action under the group's guidelines and claims responsibility as part of the organization is considered a member. Over the past year, its name has been attached to a string of vandalism in Pennsylvania.

Last month, the group's Web site said ELF members and cells from the Animal Liberation Front set a Nov. 26 fire at a mink farm in Erie. The fire destroyed a barn, but no animals or people were harmed.

The group also claimed responsibility for an Aug. 11 fire at an unoccupied forest research station near Warren and the torching in March of a construction crane at a bridge work site in Erie, Rudge said.

ELF's claims of responsibility typically come through its Web site, where managers say they serve only as a media conduit for the group. A manager who did not provide an identity said in an e-mail that the communique about Wednesday's fire came in anonymously, as do all reports of ELF attacks.

Rudge said that communique, posted on the Web site, appeared to be authentic because it included information that hadn't been made public.

01/04/03 15:10 EST

Copyright 2002 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.  All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
View Quote

Whats PA law on the use of force and arson? Can you set in your lot with a AR15 and a starlight scope for shit like this like in Texas?
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Well they are Eco-Terrorists I think they are not as hard on them because of thier affilation.  Now if its a right wing group then its a problem and they must be hunted down.

Also buring things and using gasoline is good for the enviroment right.  I thought the oil companies that made gasoline were killing the earth as they say
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 3:53:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, it's legal to pop a cap on someone committing arson at night in Texas. Those type of cowards have a limited lifespan in that type of work. I'm surprized that ELF even survives in the rest of the country. Shouldn't there be a bounty put on their heads or something? Maybe they believe in the SUV conspiracy, you know the one where they affect Global warming, until now only thought to occur here on Earth. Now that Mars also has shrinking polar caps I suppose they'll target some Auto maker for sales on Mars. These people are lame.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 4:00:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry Taxman, but those eco freaks cannot start fires by rubbing two sticks together, kinda makes the process of terrorism slow up somewhat, and make them more of a target of opportunity instead. Who'd a thunk it?
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 4:11:36 PM EDT
[#4]
  Why the f don't the news organizations cover this?  I know the majority (the liberal) of the news stations won't cover this because they think this is right.  Why dosen't fox cover it?  This is BULLSHIT.
 I guess animals are on this earth to look at.  If humans are this parasite that enviro-freaks claim they are, then maybe they should rid the earth of themselves.

-DEERSNIPER
[sniper]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 4:13:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well they are Eco-Terrorists I think they are not as hard on them because of thier affilation.  Now if its a right wing group then its a problem and they must be hunted down.

View Quote

The biggest problem to hunting down these characters isn't because of their affileation. It's the [b]lack[/b] of affiliation. ELF has [b]NO[/b] organization, it's an anarchy, no one is leading it. I could do something like this and claim that I, Billy Joe Jim Bob, did it because the dealer pissed me off. Or I could claim it as an act of ELF and then I would be a member of ELF. Without ever having been in contact or even knowing anyone else in the organization.

ELF isn't just compartmentalized like a "spy ring," it's ablity to survive is it's complete lack of organization.

The ELF website is run by a sympathizer not a leader. Or so he claims.

"Outdoor" magazine had a pretty good article a couple of years ago about an investagator in the Pacific NW who tries to run these nuts down and the difficulties he runs into. I think it was an August, Sept. or maybe Oct. edition.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 4:20:53 PM EDT
[#6]
hmmm....hippies?
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 4:33:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Couldn't they have found a more environmentally-friendly way of destroying private property?  I mean, they used polluting, greenhouse gas-creating fossil fuels. HELLO, MCFLY!  They should be looking for alternative fuels for our pointless vandalism, like a giant solar-powered magnifying glass that melts the SUV's, or soy-based napalam, and hasn't anyone heard of sugar in the gas tank?

Think globally, vandalize locally!
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 4:37:05 PM EDT
[#8]
The whole country needs use of force laws like in Texas.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I wonder if these [b]assholes[/b] realize that by burning four vehicles...they released more environmental pollution than if those vehicles had been driven around for [b]years[/b]....

Hmm, lets see....what are some of the products of combustion in a car fire....[b]PHOSGENE GAS[/b], lots of [b]hydrocarbons[/b], [b]CFCs[/b], [b]thick greasy smoke from the tires[/b]...ect, ect.

I dont know how many of you have ever seen a car fire,...but, being a firefighter, I have been on TONS of them...and I can tell you that 4 SUVs burning in the same parking lot is going to put out a [b]shitload[/b] of pollution.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 4:51:36 PM EDT
[#10]
PC &9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY.

(2) When and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:   (A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burgualry, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime: or   (B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burlary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property that:

(3) he reasonably believes that:  (A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means: or  (B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious injury.

REFER to PC &9.43  which says if it's someone elses property you can still shoot them.

My take is if they have a match and gas, can it be thrown on me, if I try to stop them? YES THEY COULD and thats why they are lying on the ground officer!
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:07:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
hmmm....hippies?
View Quote

Sorta.. but more akin to Yippies.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 4:12:24 AM EDT
[#12]
As Deersniper said, why hasn't the media broadcast this?  Oh, I'm sure they can point to a page 47 somewhere.  But, I knew nothing about it until reading it on this board.

OIC, it's not one of the intended propaganda targets.  Now I'm wondering what the media would have done if it had occurred somewhere like TX or FL, and someone had stopped the creeps.  I'd guess the first part about burning the trucks would have been left out as less important than the poor kid being shot.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 4:35:11 AM EDT
[#13]
How much environmental damage did they cause by [b]burning[/b] three SUVs?
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 4:46:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Repeat.

I said in the other thread on this subject that it was interesting that the media wasn't reporting the event.  I was wrong.  While watching CNN Headline News at about 4:30 this morning I saw a short blurb about the burning of the SUVs in PA.  Not exactly ground-breaking reporting.

Now if this had been a white supremist group who burned a cross in some guy's front yard we'd be hearing about it for days.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 5:36:49 AM EDT
[#15]
"...at a dealership in Girard, about 110 miles north of Pittsburgh..."

this sounds like girard, OHIO. girard is a suburb of youngstown (mafia run city.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 6:04:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Ban Matches! For da children!
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 6:07:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ban Matches! For da children!
View Quote

Don't forget highly volatile gasoline and "high-capacity" gasoline "clips" often called "gas cans" by the arson subculture, both of which have absolutely no reasonable sporting purpose.

[pink]For the Children!![/pink]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 6:15:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Ever read "The Monkee Wrench Gang?"

Sounds like these goofballs.  They're probably a bunch of bored yuppie offspring who smoked a ton of dope trying to plagerize their 7 year bachelors degree, never made it with a lady, camp out at Dave Matthews concerts, never played sports growing up, never got into a fight or if they did, had the snot kicked out of them in front of the school bus stop.

All eco-terrorists are die hard vegetarians who wear LEATHER birkenstocks.

For the record, I like the Dave Matthews Band...
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 8:19:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Man.  Just thinking about having my SUV burned makes me want to go out a buy a Tank so that I can provide safe transportation.  By the way, how much gas mileage does a tank get?
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 9:17:26 AM EDT
[#20]
lol...I don't know.

4mpg?

2?
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 9:41:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Yes it is 4 mpg for the main battle tank.  At least that is what the discovery channel special said.

-DEERSNIPER
[sniper]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top