Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2003 1:28:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:05:01 PM EDT
[#1]
No.  I've used the G36 and it's a great rifle, but the emasculated version is way overpriced.  I'd buy an AR180B instead.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 2:09:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 2:23:37 AM EDT
[#3]
One thing I noticed on quite a few examples is that the barrel wasn't exactly centered where it exits the furniture.  Kinda off to one side.  And I've looked at about seven of them at the same time before.  Sort of like a Remington 700(P) where the barrel seems more off to one side.  I'm sure it's purely cosmetic though.

I didn't buy one though, decided on another Bushy instead.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 2:43:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Did a little research on the SL8-1, including picking one up for a fit test.

Unlike the G36, and the SL8 that the rest of the world can buy, the SL8-1 can only fit the 10-round single stack mag.  The SL8 is supposed to be able to change magwells to fit SL8 (full size), AR, or Steyr mags.  

The rifle is supposed to run very clean, especially compared to an AR.  No dirty gas gets back in the reciever, except what comes with the case during extraction.  

The scope-and-dot sight set w/ carry handle looks pretty cool.  I'm waiting to see pix of one of those on a full length rail on an AR.  

I have fairly big hands.  The thumbhole stock would NOT permit me to get my thumb all the way around to proper firing position.  I like having the forearm bones pretty much pointing into the grip... best I could get was to have them aligned into the right side of the grip.  Very uncomfortable, for me.  Also, the safety lever, in the fire position, impinged on the top (thumb side) of my right hand.  

I suggest hkpro.com for more info.

(let's see if I can get the link working)

[url]http://www.hkpro.com/[/url]

Link Posted: 1/9/2003 12:26:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a chance to shoot one last fall. I was underwhelmed. Too much plastic, crappy trigger, OK accuracy. Best to handle one, or better yet-shoot one, before you buy it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 12:32:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy 1 and convert it to a SW36 best gun you'll ever own, there will be 100 guys that tell you don't and every one of them is wrong.

Plus it is a fun project and the difference is dramatic.

i'd post a pic of mine but don't know how

these are how sl8 have been looking lately

http://boards.hkpro.com/NonCGI/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=15&t=000173
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#7]
It's not a pretty firearm!

Link Posted: 1/9/2003 2:54:47 PM EDT
[#8]
The SL8-1 is known to have a problem with the receiver cracking.  IIRC, it has something to do with the way the bolt is modified such that it can't strip rounds from a double stack mag.  At first, HK was swapping out receivers and attempted a fix to the issue, but they were still cracking.   Then HK stopped fixing them and said it was a "cosmetic" issue only.  Now they are ceasing importation altogether.  Coincidence?

Also gotta take into account that they are now under new ownership.  Could be the new owners are moving away from civilians sales in the US.  However, I don't think that quite sounds right, as a limited number of the previously European-only USP's were recently brought in (Elite, 9mm Tactical, 9mm Expert, etc).  They also still seem to be importing the USC.  I still think the cracking receiver has alot to do with it.  Prices had come down considerably even before this, however, which likely means sales weren't as good as anticipated.  I would have thought sales would have picked up with the mag and stock conversion kits out there, though.  Perhaps it was already doomed at this point.  

Rocko
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 4:16:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Who in their ringht mind would pay $1100 for a single stack post ban gun plus $300-$500 to make it a neutered double stack post ban gun and on top of it have parts made by toad who in turn says he's getting out of the civvie gun biz.

They look nice all modded out but the cost is huge!
SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 1:51:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Well,

*if you don't have big hands,
*you are not a lefthandshooter,
*you aren't worry about stuffing the light gray plastic stock in the dishmaker from time to time,
*you like ugly ducklings and
*you'll replace the sights in any case,

think about to buy a SL8(-1).

Mausebaer
[img]http://www.jpfo.org/brasco5-100x109.jpg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top