Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2003 12:03:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a mighty fine idea [B]HiramRanger[/B]! But what would the stipulations be? How many scholarships would be given out? Would it be dependant upon what school they go to?
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:56:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Dude, that is a sweet idea. I would donate money for sure. Maybe make it a Freedom Essay competition, to be judged by a panel of ARFCOM members. The winner gets whatever amount we can raise/ determine they should recieve.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 1:04:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 1:23:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Seems to me that one of the problems with education today is that most academic institutions are so liberal and by extension anti-gun that it can be demoralizing for young men and women who share our beliefs.
View Quote

I disagree somewhat with that statement.  While it is true that self-reports of university faculty are 95% democrat, I do not really see it reflected in the classroom or the culture.  I honestly do not know how this happens - if it is because conservatives are not interested in the adacemic career, or if it is that those who are gradually become socialized over time.  I can categorically deny any existince of "conspiracies" to exclude conservative faculty from institutions or tenure - it simply does not exist (despite how badly some people want to believe in them).

Sure, there are always extreme examples like Berkley - but on the other end of the spectrum there are examples like Bob Jones University.  ON AVERAGE, I don't really see any strong bias.  Yeah - occasionally there will be some flaming asshole who is a liberal on campus who causes trouble, but again they are exceptions to the rule, not a general trend.  To show an opposite example, my university axed the sociology department in the 60's because it was filled with anti-war hippie faculty members (interesting note: that's the only way I know of to fire a tenured faculty member - close their department).

Any liberal culture on university campuses is the result of young people's general attitude, which tends to be more idealistic (and less pragmatic and realistic) and liberal.  It really isn't the faculty who are trying to brainwash the students.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 1:35:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 1:51:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
With all due respect... BULL!

95%+ of faculty are liberal and this does cloud their teaching, especially in the social sciences/liberal arts such as political science and history where the subject matter is always subjective in its interpretation.  When was the last time you heard one of these 95%ers teaching that the 2nd amendment is not a collective right but is instead an individual right.
View Quote

In all fairness I cannot speak to the teaching in arts and sciences with any more authority than my experience as an undergrad student - but I didn't see or experience any bias.

However, from a hiring perspective, I can assure you that nobody wonders or cares about - for a second - the political views of job candidates.  I have been on numerous hiring committees, and of the hundreds and hundreds of applications I have read, I could not tell you the political affiliations, and for the dozens of candidates I have interviewed, interacted with and had dinner with, I could not tell you their political views.  It simply does not enter into the hiring equation.

My college was incredibly hostile to conservative faculty... In fact they only place where they were not beat down by their colleagues was within the physical sciences and the economic department.  We had one history professor who dared to speak well of the Reagan administration and the cold war that he was ostracized by his fellow faculty and was denied tenure.
View Quote

Do you know how much he had published, and are you certain you know the reason he was denied tenure? I find it highly unlikely that someone would be denied tenure because of political views.  (Sure it could happen, but it owuld be highly unusual, and not at all typical of how academia works).

I hosted Oliver North at my school.  The same faculty that mandated you attend lectures by central american guerillas and the daughter of Desmond Tutu told students they were not allowed to attend Oliver North's lecture, it was a waste of their time and posed a thread to the diversity the campus was committed to.  WTF?  Differing opinions are a threat to diversity?
View Quote

Seriously?  Students were told they were not ALLOWED to?  

What kind of college did you go to where it was MANDATED that you go to lectures?  If they are part of a class, sure.  If not, I have NEVER heard of campus speakers where attendance of students was required.

Your university sounds really, really odd - and not typical in any way I've ever heard of.

Sorry my friend, but you are looking at a corrupted institution from within and perhaps are blinded by that fact.  Incidently, its not the students who are liberal... increasingly they are identifying themselves as conservative and the vast majority support action in the Persian Gulf... hardly demonstrative of a liberal mindset.  What do you think is the position of most faculty on this issue?
View Quote

Can you show me a cite for the finding that college students in general are more conservative now?  I'd be really interested in that.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 4:28:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 4:42:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Tell me how I can become involved. I would like to do this with you HR.
I dont have much money but I can contribute.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Screw the Children, lets make it for ARFCOM members who are in College.  Sorry if I seem a bit Biased.  Just got my first bill for college. :-)
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Good idea, but the only fund I would support is for a college student that is a competitive shooter or a high school student pursuing competitive shooting at any level that may lead to a college shooting team position.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:23:27 PM EDT
[#12]
HR - that does sound pretty liberal!  

Keep in mind though, it may not be that representative - and people get denied for tenure for all sorts of reasons.  When I get turned down at the top university I currently work at, I'd love to convince people (and myself) that it was for my pro-gun stance.  That would be a lot easier than admitting that I'm a lazy bastard!  [:D]

The university I'm at is pretty conservative, and I'm in the business school - probably most conservative of all schools on campus.  I personally know of several of our faculty that own ARs, one who owns a Barrett M82A, and several more who regularly trap shoot.  At our annual women's auction, myself and another faculty member offer shooting lessons - and they go for hundreds of dollars.  Then again, MBA students are a pretty conservative lot.

If we set up a scholarship I'd love to contribute by writing a letter of recommendation to whatever school the winner wants to go to (after talking to the candidate, of course).

Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:27:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 9:08:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Good idea in theory, but lots of possibility for abuse. Gonna need serious safeguards before these guys get onboard again.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Good idea, but the only fund I would support is for a college student that is a competitive shooter or a high school student pursuing competitive shooting at any level that may lead to a college shooting team position.
View Quote

Good Idea, but that's pissing your money away -

Want to get the most bang for your buck - offer scholarships to college students that are pursuing a degree in Constitutional Law and  have a history and promise of support for 2nd Ammendment rights.  Now that's worth supporting
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 9:21:39 PM EDT
[#16]
hmmm, i wish i knew a young, hard-right, pro gun, future poly-sci/law major.....
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 10:02:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Good Idea, but that's pissing your money away -

Want to get the most bang for your buck - offer scholarships to college students that are pursuing a degree in Constitutional Law and  have a history and promise of support for 2nd Ammendment rights.  Now that's worth supporting
View Quote

Another lawyer?  Now that is pissing money away!  
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 10:27:58 AM EDT
[#18]
A very noble idea indeed!  However, given the rancor caused by several other attempts a providing monetary assistance to board members during times of need, I think it would be a very steep uphill battle.  

Sorry to say I am unable to offer any solutions, so I guess I am part of the problem...
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 12:02:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A very noble idea indeed!  However, given the rancor caused by several other attempts a providing monetary assistance to board members during times of need, I think it would be a very steep uphill battle.  

Sorry to say I am unable to offer any solutions, so I guess I am part of the problem...
View Quote

Maybe arfcommers could fund a rifle club at a university that doesn't have one (or where the university will not fund such a club).

That way, we don't get into endless arguments about which individuals deserve help, and we can help get numerous people into shooting.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 12:18:23 PM EDT
[#20]
If this is done and the essay is taken into consideration, why not make the essay compliant to the NRA essays which also pay out scholarships?

It'd be like giving them our money and them potentially winning an NRA scholarship as well.  WIN WIN!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top