Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2003 10:15:54 AM EDT
Does anyone know the federal laws/regulations concerning keeping primates as pets?  Specifically, a gray squirrel monkey.

I don't want to get into a discussion about the moral/ethical/hygenic concerns about keeping such an animal (that's already being discussed).  Just legal considerations.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 10:57:03 AM EDT
[#1]
If I were going to take a squirrel monkey to the range for the first time, what guns/calibers would be appropriate for a squirrel monkey new to shooting?  Maybe a .22 derringer?

[img]http://www.shoarns.com/squirrel%20monkey%201.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.warthai.org/images/photo%20gallery/squirrel%20monkey.jpg[/img]

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 11:17:08 AM EDT
[#2]
They make great companions for people who love to have their pet constantly throwing their own excrement at them.

You might get lucky and find one that only smears its shit on the walls, and leaves you out of the fun.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 11:21:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Squirrel monkeys are the ultimate "Chick Magnet".

Are you REALLY that desperate that you need a monkey?
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 11:29:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I think you're legal on the federal level.
I've always thought monkeys were cool.
I did a search about 3 years ago to get one.
The dealer in FA said he couldn't ship To CA but I could pick it up in Reno.
I forgot the name of the monkey that he recommended for me but he said good pet quaility would cost about $1,800.
One of my buddies had a racoon. It never ran off. That thing was a good pet.
I can't believe the nerve of people trying to regulate what you can or can't own.
What do squirrel monkeys cost?
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:31:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If I were going to take a squirrel monkey to the range for the first time, what guns/calibers would be appropriate for a squirrel monkey new to shooting?  Maybe a .22 derringer?

-Nick Viejo.
View Quote

It depends.  

Please clarify--are you shooting with it or AT it?

Just kidding.  

Anyway, I've been checking arounsd and some guy told me that you can't import them for non-medical reasons, but there are "farms" in the South that raise monkeys for science and the pet trade.

My situation is this--a casual acquaintance wants to open a bar and have a monkey that can serve beer, wipe the counter, and dance for quarters and stuff.  I guess it's a good idea but I wouldn't want to eat or drink anything that was touched by a monkey.  And I'm pretty open-minded.

The most popular pet monkeys are squirrels, spider monkeys, and capuchins.  They're all from Central and South America.  I've heard that monkeys retail for around a couple thousand bucks.  Also, you can't have just one monkey or it'll go nuts.  They're social creatures so you have to get at least two.

Another thing.  According to my source, most monkeys are bought as infants.  That's fine, but they do hit puberty after a while.  You'll have to figure out the rest, cuz I ain't gonna' go there.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:37:05 PM EDT
[#6]
N Viejo,

I have a NA Mini .22 mag that would fit perfectly into your new shooting buddy's hands....   I won't loan it to you unless you buy him a little cowboy hat and some chaps though...
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:41:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:51:26 PM EDT
[#8]
[img]www.ms.uky.edu/~sills/dieter.jpg[/img]

"Would you like to touch my monkey.  Touch him!.  Love him!!"

[:D]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:57:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Blackmanta,

True, they sell around here(central NC) for about 1k-1.5k.  They  need pals too....2 would be okay, but I dont know if you should mix genders or what.  Two males might fight like hell or try to gang a dwarf patron. Opposite genders, unless your friend had one fixed, might turn the bar into a GRIMLENS scene within a couple of years.

Any reputable breeder/importer(goodluck finding one) should damn well be able to help you out.

Personally,  I would get a couple of Orangatans and train them to arborists.
I have had several trees removed from my  property in the last few years and would have paid double to see Orangutan Lumberjacks handle the job.
:  NO sexual connotations.  
Also, as a side note; I dont know if the little monkey cousins get vicious.....But, when I was a kid, my old man had a friend that had a baboon  (for those wondering why the government should control what you own) that was very loving toward her owner, no sexual connotations, she was just very protective of him.  Well, one day she broke out of her  while her "owner/sugar daddy" was visiting a female neighbor. She ripped the front door off the hinges/boxing before she could figure out how to turn the knob and beat the shit out of the woman.  Had her owner not been there the baboon would have killed her for sure.  Granted, had the male owner not been visiting her it is likely she wouldn't have been jealous.  but ah...

anyway, without  succombing to hyperbole, sometimes wild animals need to stay that way...comparing baboons and monkeys is like comparing grapefruit and tangerines...

from experience, It's been extremely difficult for me to adapt to modern human life from my ferral Sasquatch existance....

good luck,

-HS
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 1:03:10 PM EDT
[#10]
SOMEBODY watched the Kia commercial during college football too many times!!!

Stay away from the Sales Monkey!!!
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 1:51:38 PM EDT
[#11]
[img]http://www.captaints.com/monkey.jpg[/img]

- Nw -

Link Posted: 1/4/2003 1:53:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 1:55:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
N Viejo,

I have a NA Mini .22 mag that would fit perfectly into your new shooting buddy's hands....   I won't loan it to you unless you buy him a little cowboy hat and some chaps though...
View Quote

Bwaaahahahaha!  I had a Spider Monkey in Honduras. The thing was a beast. Every now and then Top would call down to the hanger pissed as hell, telling me to go back to the hooch and gety that "fucking animal" under control. The little guy would get into the fridge, pull out a beer, and drink one drink, then toss the rest. He would do that with a case or teo of beer. Made a hell of a mess, and got the monkey pretty drunk. Ever see a squad of Cav troopers trying to get a drunk assed monkey out of the rafters in a hooch? I wish we would have filmed it sometime.

Aviator
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 11:09:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
N Viejo,

View Quote

Cowboy hat and chaps--of course!  Thanks for reminding me.

Come to think of it, I personally am no good at repetitious, detail-oriented work.  Do you think I could train the monkey to operate a reloading press?

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 1:36:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd like to see what tatjana has to say about this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top