Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/28/2014 1:51:33 PM EDT

As a regular over at the S&W Forums I came across this

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-semi-auto-pistols/377999-3rd-gen-parts-im-afraid-were-our-own-gents.html

And confirmed it by calling S&W directly. They are ceasing part production and support for the 3rd Generation Series of pistols. Basically pulling a Ruger. If your older gun breaks and you send it off to them they scrap it and will "replace" it with a M&P Series gun. By replace they'll sell you one at cost. So be careful of what you do with them.

I'm surprised of this since the NYPD still stocks the 5946, the LAPD still stocks the 4566, CHP just renewed the contract for the 4006TSW, and WVSP also just did a new contract for new 4566TSW pistols. Hell, the last general production 3rd Gen gun for the civilian market was sold less then five years ago.

Also S&W has been doing a Lifetime Warranty on 3rd Gen guns since 1989. So what now?

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 1:55:29 PM EDT
[#1]
RCMP still issues a 5946 as well.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#2]
off to Numrich and Jack First for parts now..
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 1:57:34 PM EDT
[#3]

3954 is best ccw
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 1:58:07 PM EDT
[#4]
There just isn't much on those guns that's gonna break or need replacing, other than springs, which I'm sure Wolff or some such will keep making, and grips, which I'm sure Hogue will keep making.  

These guns have been out of production (other than a few LE contracts) for quite some time now... it's hardly surprising that Smith didn't want to just keep making parts forever.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 2:01:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There just isn't much on those guns that's gonna break or need replacing, other than springs, which I'm sure Wolff or some such will keep making, and grips, which I'm sure Hogue will keep making.  

These guns have been out of production (other than a few LE contracts) for quite some time now... it's hardly surprising that Smith didn't want to just keep making parts forever.
View Quote

Some guns like my 5926 don't use normal grips like the other 59xx guns. The 3rd Gen series is still is use with a large number of agencies across the world so it seems kinda odd for Smith to drop support so fast.

The last general civilian market 3rd gen gun came off the line less then five years ago. This is like Toyota telling me; "Sorry but we don't make parts or support your 2009 Tacoma anymore."

I guess S&W really wants to push the M&P really badly. Hell, I wonder if they'll continue to support the new Sigma line (SD I think it's called now)?
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 2:07:01 PM EDT
[#6]
RCMP S&W Model 5946

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 2:07:01 PM EDT
[#7]
buy a Glock.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 2:09:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
buy a Glock.
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 2:12:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Also, just because S&W isn't going to make the parts anymore, it doesn't mean you can't get parts.  Like someone else mentioned above, take a look at parts available from Numrich or Jack First sometime....
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#10]
And this is why I prefer designs like the AR15, Remington 870, Glock (at least until they came out with gen 4 without full parts compatibility ) and 1911s. Someone will always be making parts for these.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 2:13:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Also, just because S&W isn't going to make the parts anymore, it doesn't mean you can't get parts.  Like someone else mentioned above, take a look at parts available from Numrich or Jack First sometime....
View Quote

thats were we get ours for customers.. We don't even bother with S&W.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 2:14:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Glock fanboys need to stop invading other threads. You don't see me bombing into every 1911 thread, or SIG thread and telling people to buy Berettas.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#13]
........I'm so upset right now I really just don't know what to say.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 2:30:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Hmmm....  I've got a 3913 that still has the original grips on it that were supposed to be replaced due to a recall.  Opened a ticket with S&W months ago to get the free replacement grip and was told recently they were still waiting on the part.  Wonder if they're just going to give me a Hogue grip or something.

What I'd really love is that if VZGrips would make some nice Micarta or G10 replacement grips for the 3913 and other 3rd Gen S&Ws.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 2:41:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote
They are running out of stock fast and soe harder to find parts are already out of stock. Midway USA blew out their inventory of parts a while ago.

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 2:42:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Soooo Guys what parts are prone to breakage????????

I have a couple of 5906s
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 2:42:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Doesn't stop me wanting a 4076 and a 1006, to go with my 4006TSW.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 2:43:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 2:44:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
m&p is ten times the gun that is, i don't see the problem.
View Quote

Fail post is fail.

DA/SA metal framed gun > striker fired polymer.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 2:46:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Glock fanboys need to stop invading other threads. You don't see me bombing into every 1911 thread, or SIG thread and telling people to buy Berettas.
View Quote

No, but there is someone there telling them to buy a glock too, so why should you get a pass?
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 2:47:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Fail post is fail.

1911 >>DA/SA metal framed gun > striker fired polymer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fail post is fail.

1911 >>DA/SA metal framed gun > striker fired polymer.

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 2:49:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah I'm not sure I am going to take some random customer service guy's word on this.

Sounds like a game of telephone
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 2:50:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hmmm....  I've got a 3913 that still has the original grips on it that were supposed to be replaced due to a recall.  Opened a ticket with S&W months ago to get the free replacement grip and was told recently they were still waiting on the part.  Wonder if they're just going to give me a Hogue grip or something.

What I'd really love is that if VZGrips would make some nice Micarta or G10 replacement grips for the 3913 and other 3rd Gen S&Ws.
View Quote

Now you are talking
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah ok jack
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 2:51:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Now you are talking
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now you are talking

Yeah... why in the blue fuck does VZ make grips for the Rorbaugh R9 but not the 3913?  
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 2:53:02 PM EDT
[#26]
They are pushing everyone towards Glock.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 3:04:09 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

buy a Glock.
View Quote
I have GLOCK and love them but I also love my Smith & Wesson 3rd Gens.

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 3:21:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 3:26:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote
No it is not. I own a M&P .45 and that doesn't come anywhere near the quality and accuracy of my 4506-1 or 4566TSW. I have a first production gun of the M&P .45 Line and got it when it first came out. I keep goingback and forth on the idea of selling it.

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 3:27:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

DA/SA is not > than anything. Fucking lawl.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fail post is fail.

DA/SA > people that don't want to learn trigger control.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 3:32:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Well we have some extremely talented people around here, how difficult could it be to make the parts?
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 3:33:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fail post is fail.

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 3:38:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Whew, glad my 100 year old 1911s still have parts made for them.

Woe unto S&W if they start to ignore the older S&Ws because they may lose a significant portion of their buyers of new guns.  You don't tend to sell those guys a new gun, you just send them off to another manufacturer.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 3:40:44 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fail post is fail.

I agree.... I learned on a Beretta 92FS. Forget being spoiled by a single action 1911 or a DAO gun. If you can learn a DA/SA you can shoot anything.  

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 3:44:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I learned on a Beretta 92FS. Forget being spoiled by a single action 1911 or a DAO gun. If you can learn a DA/SA you can shoot anything.    
View Quote

I shoot USPSA revolver.... mainly because it makes me shoot all of my guns better.  Shooting 20+ round stages with a wheelgun, you will learn trigger control.  And it's fun.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yeah... why in the blue fuck does VZ make grips for the Rorbaugh R9 but not the 3913?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now you are talking

And colt double eagle

Who the fuck uses those stupid things?
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 3:46:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like my M&Ps a lot; but no.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I shoot USPSA revolver.... mainly because it makes me shoot all of my guns better.  Shooting 20+ round stages with a wheelgun, you will learn trigger control.  And it's fun.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I learned on a Beretta 92FS. Forget being spoiled by a single action 1911 or a DAO gun. If you can learn a DA/SA you can shoot anything.    

Been banging on revolvers a whole lot more lately. Other then a very few semi's, all I've been buying lately is DA revolvers, the last one was a Ruger SP101 heavy barrel 4" .22.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 3:50:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 3:50:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Been banging on revolvers a whole lot more lately. Other then a very few semi's, all I've been buying lately is DA revolvers, the last one was a Ruger SP101 heavy barrel 4" .22.
View Quote

Revolvers are addictive as hell laced with crack.  I bought a Model 37 to carry as a backup gun some years back... I'd probably not shot more than a box of ammo through a wheelgun in my entire life.  Six months later I had 4 more revolvers, now... I don't want to talk about it.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 3:50:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he said.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 3:51:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
As a regular over at the S&W Forums I came across this

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-semi-auto-pistols/377999-3rd-gen-parts-im-afraid-were-our-own-gents.html

And confirmed it by calling S&W directly. They are ceasing part production and support for the 3rd Generation Series of pistols. Basically pulling a Ruger. If your older gun breaks and you send it off to them they scrap it and will "replace" it with a M&P Series gun. By replace they'll sell you one at cost. So be careful of what you do with them.

I'm surprised of this since the NYPD still stocks the 5946, the LAPD still stocks the 4566, CHP just renewed the contract for the 4006TSW, and WVSP also just did a new contract for new 4566TSW pistols. Hell, the last general production 3rd Gen gun for the civilian market was sold less then five years ago.

Also S&W has been doing a Lifetime Warranty on 3rd Gen guns since 1989. So what now?

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y525/Cobra_Rattler_556/1st3rdgengroup_zps1045b927.jpg

View Quote

S&W provides a one year limited warranty after which its " lifetime service policy" takes over.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 3:52:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Revolvers are addictive as hell laced with crack.  I bought a Model 37 to carry as a backup gun some years back... I'd probably not shot more than a box of ammo through a wheelgun in my entire life.  Six months later I had 4 more revolvers, now... I don't want to talk about it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know that feel.

Semis may be better for defense, but I prefer revolvers for everything else.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 3:52:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, they breed almost as well as 1911s.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 3:55:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 3:58:12 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
No.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

buy a Glock.

No.

Why say no, when it's so easy to say yes?
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 4:00:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fail post is fail.

First round is a smooth revolver like double action pull that lets you stage the trigger on the draw. After the first shot breaks after sight alignment, all the other shots are in crisp single action easy mode, on a soft recoiling aluminum frame.

What's not to love?

I much prefer it over a flex tastic M&P which patterns, rather than groups. Though I'll admit that they don't all have that problem.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 4:03:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Whew....glad I sold that 29-3 last year.......
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 4:05:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Whew....glad I sold that 29-3 last year.......
View Quote

FAIL.

Please tell me you're trolling?
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#50]
If your older gun breaks and you send it off to them they scrap it and will "replace" it with a M&P Series gun.
View Quote

I doubt S&W would steal your gun.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top