Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/4/2003 6:26:20 AM EDT
I was talking to a friend last night and we started debating whether or not parents should be able to smack their kids - and by smack, I mean a smack, not a brutal beating.  It's my opinion that when parents and teachers were able to paddle you, kids were alot more well respectful and turned out better.  Now, I know there are other things that also help in making a kid turn out better, but I think it sure played a part.  

I remember in school, if you got in trouble, you got smacked with the paddle.  And you didn't do it again.  And, when dad got home, you got smacked again to make sure

So, what do you think?

"my parents used to beat the living shit out of me, and looking back on it, I am glad they did.  And I'm looking forward to beating the shit out of my kids"  ---- Denis Leary
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:29:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:32:49 AM EDT
[#2]
damn straight!

I've also lost count of the number of wooden spoons and plastic spatulas broke by my butt!

Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:35:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I got beat with a belt.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:38:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Hell yeah, my Mom had a wooden spoon that she used to crack us with!

Quoted:
damn straight!

I've also lost count of the number of wooden spoons and plastic spatulas broke by my butt!

View Quote
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:39:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Dad hand one of those narrow, 1½" leather belts that he could undo in the blink of an eye.

But I am proud to say I broke mom's wooden spoon. With my butt of course. So she switched to a wooden ruler. I cracked it, though. [BD]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:40:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I remember a time dad found one of his tools broken. Neither of us would cop to it,(my older brother broke it) so he grabbed a 6' 1x2, broke it in two and whacked us both at the same time! Ahhh! The memories of my youth.
AB

Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:48:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, mostly playing football.

I think there is a time and a place for physical punishment...I dont have kids, but,  I wouldn't ever let a public official spank my child.  My dad allways had a standing agreement with school principles that he was to be called and he would  dole out the licks. This happened once.

-HS
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:48:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Yup,with a willow switch. Ouch!![shock]

-T.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:49:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:50:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:51:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Only got hit when we really did something bad....mostly open hand slaps, but some belt to. Thought I had it made when I got dad to use my real fat belt! Of course that didn't last & he went back to his real skinny belt![>Q]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:52:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:52:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:53:41 AM EDT
[#14]
I think I'm the only one that said no...I was never spanked because I was the "good" one and never got caught...my older sister was wild (and not too smart) and my poor parents certainly laid into her on more than one occasion.  Now, if I had gotten caught, you bet I would have been smacked.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:54:15 AM EDT
[#15]
If I had a Dollar for every time I heard this:

[b]'Don't make me take off my belt, Son!'[/b],

you would have to come visit me in my chateau in the south of France!

Eric The(TheFatherChastisesThoseWhomHeLoves)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:55:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Sure.  By family with hands, belts, boards, and peachtree limbs (till my back bled).  By school principals with 1x4 pine board.  Part of growing up.  Having deserved most of it I'll probably recover.

[;D]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:57:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:58:45 AM EDT
[#18]
I was pretty much a well behaved kid and I was never hit/spanked by my parents. My older sister, on the other hand, was a trouble maker and was smacked alot of times.
Now that I'm an adult, I have more of a smart-ass personality than I did when I was a kid. My mom jokingly says, "You may be bigger than me now, but I'm not too old to still whack you one!" And then she flexes her skinny, old arms at me. [:D]

[b]ArmaLiter[/b]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:01:31 AM EDT
[#19]
if by hit you mean whipped, yes! I was never hit anywhere but on my ass by a belt, switch, or other handy object
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:01:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, my dad wouldn't warn me either.  I remember one time, I accidently broke a window at the church with a rock.  well, I ran off - thinking no one saw me.  the problem was, my dad was talking to someone and watched the whole thing.  i got home and we started eating dinner - not word about it.  i thought i was free and clear.  after dinner, i went to play with my toys he came up behind me with a belt and let me have  it.  from that moment on, i always 'fessed up to whatever it is that i did.

Quoted:
Quoted:
If I had a Dollar for every time I heard this:

[b]'Don't make me take off my belt, Son!'[/b],

you would have to come visit me in my chateau in the south of France!

Eric The(TheFatherChastisesThoseWhomHeLoves)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

You got a warning????  I just heard the sound of the belt being yanked out.  [:O]
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:01:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:05:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My dad would say "Legs!, Go pick me out a belt."

I went through all of them trying to find the one
that hurt the least. They all hurt.
View Quote

You lucky SOB, I never had a choice. He had a belt that he never wore that he used exclusivly for tearing my ass(middle of back to back of knees)up. It was thick, flexible and painful. Once he got started you were in for a good ride.

I'd say I deserved most of it. I was one of those terrible preacher's kids you've heard so much about
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:08:21 AM EDT
[#23]
The only kids I knew growing up that did not are now SCUM OF THE EARTH!

I did.....and it did me good.

I also hit my kids when they needed it.....have not had to for YEARS now.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:09:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:14:20 AM EDT
[#25]
My dad punched me through a set of closet doors when I was 16.  That's about the hardest blow I've ever taken.  I think he would have respected me more if I would have fought back.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:14:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Sweet Mother Dolomite used three little words to keep me and my brothers straight:

[center][b]Hot Wheel Track[/b][/center]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:14:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Didn't everyone? Everyone I knew growing up did. Most of us turned out pretty damn well.
View Quote

Dude have you looked at the pic next to your name [;D] Thats turning out damn well ?

Back to the subject of the post.

Hit,yup beat,yup. You name it I got hit with it. The worst was being knocked out with the old timey phone headset. The handset was some kind of cast or pot metal ,bammmmm ,stars and then fade to black. Head ache for days.

Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:16:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:17:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If you watch young parents today it is easy to see where this society is headed.  The POS book that is even worse than "Dr. Spock" is the new one by T. Berry Brazelton.  He says that a child should never be "forced" to do anything.  They should be cajoled and talked into everything.  Gone are "because I said so!"  Now we have young girls trying to reason with a two year old.  The young child quickly learns to run the house just by throwing a fit, as he/she knows (quickly learns) there will be no consequences.  No spanking = no consequences = a child totally out of control that will be a monster in a few years.  It is "the way of things" today.  [:(]

Children learn respect through a bit of fear.  If you ask any solid citizen why they didn't do certain things as a child or teen, they will all say the same thing--because my parents would have "killed me!"  They do not mean literally "kill" but had a healthy fear of the dire consequences that restrained them from outrageous and unacceptable behavior.  This is the foundation of respect.  Today's kids fear nothing, and will do anything.  
View Quote

Man, I couldn't agree with this post more.
My brother, sister and I got smacked (open hand) from time to time; but the "intimidation factor" provided by our father was more than enough motivation for us to stay out of trouble.
Verbal, in your face tirades were more the norm from our parents.  Yep, I classify it as abuse.  The stories my grandmother told me...  I probably learned the same amount of "how not to discipline you children" from my parents as "how to......"
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:25:11 AM EDT
[#30]
I'd get spanked with my Dad's leather belt. In retrospect, I only got whooped when I did stuff like throw rocks at the kids next door--and hit them.

I still remember him laughing when he found me looking at a Playboy magazine in the barber shop when I was 4.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:27:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Spanked, yes. Abused, no. I should have been spanked more often than I was, and they should have started earlier.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:31:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Hit as in beaten? Absolutely NOT!

Hit as in spanked or the occasional DopeSlap (TM Click and Clack)? You bet! I'd get the belt when I had it coming.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:39:02 AM EDT
[#33]
I was spanked and I think up to a certain age it is a necessary punishment.  But past age 8 or so, the spankings stopped working---rather than make me penitent, they just started to piss me off and make me more stubborn.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:45:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Sweet Mother Dolomite used three little words to keep me and my brothers straight:

View Quote

Your Mother must have talked to my Mother...that was to only, and I mean only, thing my Dear Sweet Mother couldn't break on me. Oh, and plastic hairbrushes. She broke yardsticks, ping-pong paddles, wooden spoons, etc. But once she got that [orange][b]Orange Track[/b][/orange] in her hands, it was all over except for the crying. She would grab one of my arms and we would go round and round.

Ahhhh, good times.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:51:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:56:51 AM EDT
[#36]
My dad used to beat my ass with a rodeo belt that had "Minnesota" engraved in the leather.  Whenever my brother and I really acted up, he'd yell, "GO GET MINNESOTA!"  Worked every time.  Perfect behavior thereafter.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:58:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Wooden spoons! I got that several times.  Didnt really hurt too bad.  finally one day it broke.  I couldnt stop laughing!  So my started to pull on my hair.  The next week I went to the barber and got it trimmed real tight!  LOL.  The worst was the back end of a wire fly swatter.  That hurt like the dickens!
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:59:00 AM EDT
[#38]
I remember my Mother's hairbrush. It was custom made in blonde maple and her initials were inletted into the wood on the back of the brush with big, raised silver letters. Those letters, [b]L H J[/b] were occasionally stamped/embossed on my butt when I was caught doing something that was regarded by the parents as . . . [b]baaadddd![/b] [owned]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:00:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:10:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Yep. Belts, barber straps, wood paddles, back handed, beer bottles and a hammer once.
I guess I was a "bad" kid.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:12:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

No Doubt! Those can be viscous in the wrong hands!
[}:D]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:15:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:19:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh man!  I just had instant flashback of repressed childhood days.  I laughed so hard when I read this.  I was spanked with so many different things when I was a kid.  I had totally forgotten about the hot wheel track.  

My parents almost seem to regret it today, but I reasure them that they kept me in line.  I honestly believe I turned out to be what I am because of their discipline (which was never done in hate, only in love.)  I see kids in bad ways now because their parents failed to discipline appropriately.  It makes me sick because many of these problems could have been stopped with discipline at an early age.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:24:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Oh! those HOT WHEEL TRACKS! Ouch!  I traded my set to the kid down the street at a loss just toget rid of it!  Baseball bat once, she poked me more then hit me.  Once she found out she really couldnt physically hurt me anymore she stopped!  I always came back with the, "I am going to put you into a old folks home as soon as I can."  I think that actually scared her.  I did find a few nice ones!
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:31:03 AM EDT
[#45]
ahh yes the ever present threat of Foot Implantation. i was spanked, whipped, paddled when need be... i deserved it... 6 year old felon. course in the 80s people knew kids didnt know better the first time. the second time you should have known better.. i was on the way home from school when i was 6 years old and on the way i would stop at this mailbox open it and toss the mail into the air. these fluttering whitethings where cool i tell ya! anyhow i do this a few times on the way home from school one time the old bat stayed home and caught me... OOPS. belt time! twas the end of that.. never did it again.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:33:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Hm, let's think about this. I lived in the Bronx, was the school brainiac, went to Catholic school, was the youngest of five kids and had an "old school Irish" mother but a pacifist father who perpetually drummed it into me that I should always turn the other cheek and never fight. I vaguely remember a few moments when I *wasn't* getting the crap kicked out of me.

FWIW, I disappoint my father on a regular basis. [:D]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:33:41 AM EDT
[#47]
My parents only laid their hands on me two or three times when I was a kid, but then again, they didn't need to.  The verbal assault they could unleash was usually enough to keep me in line.  Especially my mom, I swear her eyes would turn black when she was really pissed and getting ready to unload on me.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:33:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'd get spanked with my Dad's leather belt. In retrospect, I only got whooped when I did stuff like throw rocks at the kids next door--and hit them.

I still remember him laughing when he found me looking at a Playboy magazine in the barber shop when I was 4.
View Quote

hehehhe at 4? that would be funny!
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:34:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:41:11 AM EDT
[#50]
i do remember one time my brother and i did something i forget what. anyhow my mom got so pissed off that she used what she had in her hand to spank us, one of those cheap Kmart plastic hairbrushes with sparse hardplastic bristles, she spanked us with that and it broke over my butt. my brother and i could not stop laughing and she got so mad she just stormed out of the living room and stayed in her bedroom to calm down.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top