Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2003 9:18:05 PM EDT

Tougher gun laws will stop this? Not bloody likely. People already get life in prison for murder- and that doesn't stop them, does it?

Prediction: nobody in the UK will do anything about this other than publicly wring their hands and deliver Clintonesque "I feel your pain" nostrums. Why? Because the victims are black. Sad, but true.

Also because the UK govt. has done pretty much all it can to disarm the population, and the effort has failed to stop crime, but nobody dares come out and say it.  

[url]http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-12214801,00.html[/url]

Tougher Gun Penalties Considered  

Drug Gangs Menace  

Police Appeal  

MACHINE GUN KILLINGS

Police investigating the shooting of four teenagers at a party in Birmingham say more than 30 shots were fired and a sub-machine gun was used.

Detectives told a news conference that the girls, two of whom died, were not members of a gang and described their deaths as a "senseless loss of life".

Detective Superintendent Dave Mirfield released a photograph of all four girls - who are related - taken hours before the shooting, which he said served as a "poignant reminder" of the tragedy.

He appealed for help from those who attended or saw what happened at the party at a hairdressing salon in Birmingham on Thursday morning.

Reward

Charlene Ellis, 18, was killed and her twin sister Sophie injured in the shooting in Aston. Sophie is now under armed guard in hospital and is in a stable condition.

Latisha Shakespear, 17, also died. Cheryl Shaw, also 17, was injured in the hand. She has now left hospital.

They had left the party for some fresh air when they were shot.

£10,000 in rewards is being offered by the Birmingham Evening Mail and the Victims of Crime group to catch the killers.

'Killers must be found'

The newspaper's editor, Roger Borrell, said: "As a community newspaper, we grieve with those who are caught up in this tragedy. Their killers must be found".

Relatives who were gathered at the twins' home said the girls' mother was too upset to talk about the tragedy.

Neighbour Huler Henry, 40, said of the girls: "I had seen them both on the evening of the party they were going to. They were getting ready to go out to enjoy themselves.

Devastated

"They were a very happy pair of teenagers. They were inseparable, always going round together and joking with each other.

"My husband went round to see their mother yesterday and said she was devastated."

Police said Sophie and Cheryl are both in a stable condition in hospital.

Police described the shootings as "exceptional in their brutality" and "unprecedented".

Search

A wide area around the scene was sealed off by police as the area is searched for clues to what happened on the night.

Ballistics experts are examining bullet casings recovered from the scene and a car riddled with bullet holes abandoned around 50m from the salon.

Extra armed officers have been deployed on the streets of Birmingham in response to the killings.

The Government is also expected to launch tough new laws to deal with those who carry and use guns.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:28:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats impossible.  They have strict laws that keep guns out of the hands of criminals.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 11:30:26 PM EDT
[#2]
'Latisha Shakespear'?

Now I think I have heard of everything!

Not 'Shakespeare', but with the final 'e' dropped!

Please tell me she was not from Stratford-on-Avon!

Sorry, this is simply a cultural rant and should not be considered a racial slam against anyone!

Eric The(Elizabethan)Hunne[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 11:33:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 11:36:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

[url]http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-12214801,00.html[/url]

Detectives told a news conference that the girls, two of whom died, were not members of a gang and described their deaths as a "senseless loss of life".
View Quote

View Quote

I would have to say that any death is a senseless loss of life. Gang related or not it is terrible.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 11:37:32 PM EDT
[#5]
...to deal with those who carry and use guns.
View Quote

Like we're a band of thieves, rapists and killers! [pissed]
It's this so-called "objective journalism" that just makes my blood curdle!
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 11:42:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 11:56:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
...to deal with those who carry and use guns.
View Quote

Like we're a band of thieves, rapists and killers! [pissed]
It's this so-called "objective journalism" that just makes my blood curdle!
View Quote
You have to remember that "gun culture" to the Brits means "criminal culture".  They don't necessarily mean that all gun owners are criminals; it simply is that they do not have a mental allowance for the idea that guns are okay for the average person to own.
View Quote

I know what you're saying, [b]DoubleFeed[/b]. It's just that this type of "reporting" only adds fuel to the fire that burns for the liberals (or should I say the vast majority?) of that country.  Either way, thanks for cooling my jets before I start to vent to my wife.  I know she's getting tired of me bitching about politics every time I log on here. [:D]  Oh well, at laest she is a good listener and enjoys the fact that I'm having fun here.
EDITED TO ADD: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention she lived in England for over 6 years.  She does hate it when I go off about that country! [;D]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:25:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Since the Brits banned guns, the demand for weapons among the criminal underclass has led to weapons smuggling. If you are smuggling weapons into another country, are you going to mess around with POS Ravens and such, or are you going to buy cheap AKs in Eastern Europe? Mexico has seen essentially the same thing. Gun bans lead to a relative INCREASE in firepower among the criminal class. I prefer my bad guys armed with the cheapest, crappiest weapons they can afford.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 2:13:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The Government is also expected to launch tough new laws to deal with [red]those who carry and use guns[/red].
View Quote
Uhh... Okay but what the f@ck does that have to do with [b]MURDERERS[/b]??? [stick]

Let's see, 12,783 gun laws written on paper didn't stop the murderers, so maybe if we make it 12,7[b]90[/b] gun laws - THEN maybe we'll have peace in our time. [:\]

And if that doesn't do it, maybe we should REALLY get serious... and write 20 MORE laws.[rolleyes]

It's like that Robin Williams joke about unarmed British Bobbies trying to stop a criminal - [b]"Stop!... Or I'll say 'Stop' again!"[/b] [:|]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top