Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2003 8:53:14 PM EDT
[b]Bill permitting shooting range passes[/b]

[url=http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2002/Nov-21-Thu-2002/news/20113207.html]ReviewJournal.com[/url]
STEPHENS WASHINGTON BUREAU

WASHINGTON -- The Senate approved legislation early Wednesday that permits Clark County to build a public shooting range on federal land just north of Las Vegas.

The bill, authored by Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev., has the backing of county recreation officials, gun enthusiasts and law enforcement officers.

The bill conveys 2,880 acres of federal land managed by the Bureau of Land Management to Clark County, which is drafting plans to build a public range for recreational shooting and police training.

"There are a lot of people in the valley with firearms, everything from pistols to shooting rifles to high-powered rifles and everything in between, so the shooting park will be a series of ranges," said Jeff Harris of the county Parks and Community Services department.

The county's goal is to provide area residents with a safe place to shoot, he said.

"We have a lot of weekend warriors that go out and shoot in the desert. It's illegal," Harris said. "They will shoot bullets and it's a real public safety issue. In the past there have been people shot."

The multi-purpose facility is projected to cost between $20 million and $30 million, and county officials are looking for creative funding, including housing gun manufacturers on the site or levying bonds, Harris said.

The House approved the bill in April, and Reid said President Bush will sign it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:58:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
[b]The bill, authored by Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev.,[/b]
View Quote

Interesting...
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:59:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
"They will shoot bullets...
View Quote

No...really?

(text from article, not Skibane)
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:03:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

"We have a lot of weekend warriors that go out and shoot in the desert. It's illegal," Harris said.
View Quote

Is it illegal to shoot in the desert?  Don't a lot of guys here (arfcom) do that?
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:04:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I hope my state is next!!!
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:11:54 PM EDT
[#5]
We already have one of those. We call it Cincinnati.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:32:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:35:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:45:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like Nevada dumpocraps are as pro-gun as South Carolina democraps.

Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:56:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Good to hear there are pro-gun democrats!

Pro-gun (D) -> Democrat

Liberal (D) -> Demoncrap

[:D]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 10:02:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I wonder who the payoff is for.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 10:33:42 PM EDT
[#11]
We are at war with Iraq? When does the shooting start!
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 10:46:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

[url=http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2002/Nov-21-Thu-2002/news/20113207.html]ReviewJournal.com[/url]
"There are a lot of people in the valley with firearms, everything from pistols to [red]shooting rifles[/red] to high-powered rifles and everything in between, so the shooting park will be a series of ranges," said Jeff Harris of the county Parks and Community Services department.
View Quote

No place for the people with throwing rifles?

Scott

[:D]

Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:37:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, rats, when I saw the thread title I thought maybe Bush was converting the state of California into a rifle range.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:41:50 AM EDT
[#14]
I am glad to see Bush backing something like this. The safety provided will be a great benifit.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:54:06 AM EDT
[#15]
A good idea, but I wonder what is churning in the undertow.
[peep]   [peep]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 4:46:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

"There are a lot of people in the valley with firearms, everything from pistols to [b] shooting rifles[/b]..."

View Quote

WTF????? I thought all rifles where SHOOTING RIFLES!

R35
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top