Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2003 7:39:48 PM EDT
I would like to know if anyone uses a wall outlet device designed to add a telephone without the need to run telephone cable?

If so, I would like to know how well phones sound that use this type of hook up?
                             Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 7:57:03 PM EDT
[#1]
are you talking about a spliter? turns one phone jack into two with the same number on both jacks? They work great as long as you don't mind them sticking out of you wall a ways.

If your talking about getting 2 different number off of one cable you need a "B" splitter. (at least that's what we call them at work) Works pretty good too, but it you have to wire the jack and punch down the cable a little bit differently. I can tell you details if you need it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:03:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Sparsky but this device makes running cable unnecessary, I guess it uses the houses electrical wiring as telephone cable.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:10:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes.

RadioShack sells 2 models...

1 is modem friendly, the other (cheaper one) is for other uses (voice phones, Dish TV boxes, etc...) and is 100% modem incompatible...

Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:17:52 PM EDT
[#4]
oh your talking wireless systems... I installed some.. but they were way more expensive than what an average person wants to pay for one.(They were for companys where the employees can run around the building with their laptop and still be connected to the net.) My bad.. thought you were just looking for a second line or jack. Hope everything works out.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:46:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:39:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:03:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I use one for my Satellite receiver (for pay per view) and it works great.  Haven't thought about it for two years.  Mine is the RCA branded model I got at Best Buy.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:20:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Back in the days as a student at Tulane I worked at the campus radio station WTUL.  We transmitted by "carrier current" that is we plugged our signal into the campus power grid and everyone in a ten block radius could receive us by plugging their radio into a duplex outlet.  Clear signal as an FM broadcast.  I've asked for decades why doesn't cable TV use "carrier current" transmission?
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:44:56 AM EDT
[#9]
For those of you who use the wireless phone jack I have a question that kind of relates to the original question. Why not just get a cordless phone and have the base located by the jack and the phone wherever you want it?

I can understand if it would be for a modem or something non-voice related.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:59:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Have a basement? Drill a hole behind the computer AGAINST the wall. Drop phone line down.

2 options.

1 Drill hole up thru floor where there is a jack.

2 Find where phone splitter comes into house and add a jack in basement.

Carpet covers up these little transgressions...
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:11:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the info guys, my daughter wants a  phone in her room and she brought up these things to make it go faster.

Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:22:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I was wondering about those last night.

Does anyone know if they would work for a TIVO?
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 9:15:48 AM EDT
[#13]
radioshack has a  device that will send the phonesignal on the AC powerlines, these work ok from what i hear, although doesnt matter now. 2.4 GHz expandable 2line wireless phone setup.only one base station needed for 8 phones.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 9:31:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Where is the phone box on your house? Is it close to the room where you want the phone jack? Is therw a jack on the other side of the wall from where you need one?

All you need to do is go the the local Lowes/Home Depot and buy some cat3 or better phone wire. Hook the red/green or blue/white wires up in the box outside to the red/green wires in the jack. If this is a second line in the house the wire colors will be black/yellow or orange/white. If there is a jack on the wall in the room next to where you need the new one punch a hole in the wall and tie the wire down color for color and use a second jack. This might be a cheaper route.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top