Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2003 2:24:52 PM EDT

Anyone else out there play this?

Anyone else out there as addicted to it as I am?

This game just *rocks*. I thought DoD was pretty good, but this takes the cake by a longshot. *64 player multiplay*...MONSTEROUS maps...you can fly, drive, pilot, or blow up pretty much any vehicle you see.

Of course, there are some nits to be picked. There's no way my sniper fire is missing that much. [:P] Also, due to the lighting/shading, its hard to blend in perfectly if you're trying to hide...but, it's doable. Uniforms, vehicles, all that seems to be top-notch as far as detailing and accuracy goes.

If you're looking for a new macro-world sim to start playing, and if DoD is starting to chafe, pick this game up. You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 2:34:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 2:47:25 PM EDT
[#2]
My wife got me this for x-mas. My sniper fire never seems to miss. Are you taking half a breath then squeezing the mouse button? I have yet to fly more than one minute without crashing. There's no way the Americans win if I'm in one of the shoreguns on Omaha Beach. I downloaded the version 1.2 upgrade but didn't notice any change. Unfortunately I'm on dial up so no online play.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 2:51:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Ahh, that's tragic...cause playing multiplayer is easily half the fun. (It sucks when $RANDOM_IDIOT takes control of the aircraft carrier, and runs it off the map, killing everyone on it..and when the guy driving the jeep you're a passenger in decides to go kamakazi...)

Other than that tho, it's fine.

And yes, my breathing is just fine. [:D] Actually, what it is, is I keep aiming for upper chest/head...%75 of the time, I'll nail it. It's that other %25 which leaves me hanging..
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#4]
My in-laws give it to me for Christmas but my out of date graphics card will not let me play it.

I got a 700mhz AMD with a 8mb video card and 383 MB ram.

It loaded fine but when I got to the play screen it locked up.

Time to get another card!
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 2:32:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 11:48:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah that game kicks ass. Too bad I am on dial-up so I cant playon line. And as far as CPU speed I got a 2 ghz and it still gets slow on me at times. Mabye I need to chage around my setting. As far as spearhead goes, I beat that on difficult level in about 1 week. Awsome graphics and game play though. A little to easy for me.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 11:52:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I love this game.

Oz
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 12:27:26 AM EDT
[#8]
The 4600 Ti and 4400 Ti were actually released at relatively the same time nearly a year ago, yep, the card is almost a year old already.   I've had mine almost a year now after I bought it to beef up my poor little 866's performance with some older games, but even with the Ti 4400 my 866 was gettin beaten up pretty hard by BF1942 with frame rates really chugging at times.     Now I got a new 2.4ghz machine with 600megs of PC2700 DDR RAM, with the 4400Ti installed the silly thing just outright flys.    Should be good for another 2 years until the next level of games come out and force me to update again.

The Nvidia FX card is supposedly due out in about 2 months, it's got 256 freakin Megs of RAM and will just kick major ass.

Then there's the ATI 9700 Pro that came out and actually beats out the 4600 Ti, that's the real reason for the 4400Ti and 4600Ti coming down in price probably.

Anyhow, BF1942 kicks some really major butt.

Online play can be great or it can be really awful.    Many of the servers are filled with nothing but a bunch of idiots waiting around on airfield trying to grab a plane.    The hijinks that follow when you get 5-6 people laying around on an airfield waiting for planes to spawn can be downright stupid and annoying.

But when the game play is good, it is REAL good.    A great server with low lag and a group of people working as a team really makes this game deliver what it set out to deliver.

Flying is a riot, earlier today on a 64 player server I had managed to bomb about 35-40 people off the map while only racking up 8 deaths.   For dog fighting use the "nose cam" by pressing the F9 key, for bombing it's often better to use the 3rd person tail cam by pressing the F10 key.

Once a couple mods get made for the game it should be real interesting, there's a BlackhawkDown mod being made already as well as many others including a Star Wars mod.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 5:30:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Where can the new mods you talk about be downloaded from? Are you running any mods now?
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 7:13:24 AM EDT
[#10]
The only "mod" I have is bloodpatch.

As you've probably noticed, every time you shoot at someone...you have no way of knowing if you've hit them unless the crosshairs change, or you see them die.

With bloodpatch, you see puffs of blood each time a round hits the target. It's pretty wild.

[url]www.bfcentral.com/pafiledb/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=170[/url] is a link to it.

Make *SURE* you've patched the game to 1.2 before installing this mod. Go to [url]www.bfcentral.com/pafiledb/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=163[/url] and snag it there, or go to [url]www.ea.com/eagames/official/battlefield1942/gamedemo.jsp?state=1111[/url] if you'd rather get it from the official EA Games site.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top