Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2003 12:07:19 PM EDT
I am pretty sure I know the answer to this already, but my old neighbor disagrees with me, so I want to check with any home construction types here just incase.

I'm getting ready to saw out a bunch of holes for soffet vents underneath the overhang on both sides of my house.  It's a typical early 70's 3 bedroom split level, with the roof overhanging the walls by about a foot front and back.

Anyway, my neighbor, who has never built a house, claims I may be structurally compromising my house by sawing out too many holes under the overhang to install soffet vents.

I always thought the roof beams entire weight rested on the walls of the house, and the soffet boards were pretty much there just to close up the space between the end of your roof and your wall, but don't supply any strength in holding the roof beams up.

He says he thinks they're their for added strength, but my attic beams have really dried out from summer heat over the years, having had no vents at all under the overhang, and I want to put a bunch in.

So is my neighbor right or wrong?
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:16:29 PM EDT
[#1]
you're right he's wrong.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:27:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Your neighbor is wrong, and his explanation supporting his wrong idea is bogus.

Cut away!
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:58:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Just to repeat what the others have said - You are right, neighbor is wrong.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 1:04:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Think about it, the soffet is HUNG off of the bottom of the rafters which supports the roof.  The rafters are supported by the outside walls and bearing partitions inside.  You could take the entire soffets off and not change the structural integrity.  Venting the soffet is a good idea and should be done and is code in many areas.  Go for it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 1:09:39 PM EDT
[#5]
He's justing a "neighbor"

Anyways, as long as youre not cutting into any bearing walls,rafters,trusses,beams or shear panel, your ok.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 1:36:55 PM EDT
[#6]
He needs to think a little harder.  Don't these people ever play with blocks as a kid?
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 2:03:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Cut away, my friend!
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#8]
fire up that sawsall!!!
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Just to bump my post count...You're correct and your neighbor is a fcking ID-10T. I will ponder that he's not an engineer?! Go practice on his house to prove that you're right! [devil]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 3:25:45 PM EDT
[#10]
FWIW...add a ridge vent to give an outlet for the attic air............
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
FWIW...add a ridge vent to give an outlet for the attic air............
View Quote

What he said.  Also, humidity builds up in the attic in the winter, and can SERIously compromise structural integrity by causing wood to rot.  Soffit vents and a ridge vent are the way to go.  If you want to get fancy install an exhaust fan (looks like a mushroom) with a thermostat AND a humidistat, and power vent the attic.  Ops
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#12]
As previously stated, soffet is not loading bearing.  Install a vent every 3 to 5 feet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top