Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2003 12:01:04 PM EDT
I just got married this last Sept and I am wondering if I should file jointly or seperately? I am looking to get about $3.2k back if I was still single. My wife and I will make about $60k combined this year. I dont have any dedeuctions, not sure about her. I am hopeing there is a loophole that will let us file as single since we were married for so little of 02.

Anyone have any ideas?

SorryOciffer

Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy TurboTax, not any other one.

Work the return both ways and find out which one gives you the best return.  There are so many help topics and online resources while you are doing it it should almost walk you through it.

Make sure you maximize your charitable contributions.  Hopefully you had some.

Ed
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 1:15:03 PM EDT
[#2]
As far as I am aware, deductions may start at the beginning of the year in which they are "earned".  IMHO, claim as many deductions as you can, and filing jointly may or may not save you $$$ depending on your circumstances.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 2:39:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. In the past years we both used the same local tax preparer, We'll ask him to run it both ways. I dont think we have ANY deductions, at least I dont. He does the electronic filing with direct deposit for state and fed for $50 for each person.

SorryOciffer
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top