Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2003 8:12:54 AM EDT
I really blew it yesturday.
I was on the phone for several hours with a couple of different support companies trying to get my brand new computer to work.
I ended up deciding to take the long drive to Fry's to exchange it.
On the way there,there was a single person in the commute lane with absulutely no one in front of him blocking traffic.Several cars had to pass him.When it was my turn I flashed my lights and it pissed him off to the point where it was now his mission in life to block me in.
I finally passed him and this is where I messed up.I tossed some water out of my window (no container just water).We were going about 40mph.
I immediately saw red flashing lights and got nailed.The CHP (with a cadet)pulled me over and read me the riot act (which I earned). He threatened to take me to jail for assualt and said he probably would if I didn't have a kid with me.I didn't argue with him or admit to anything,but I did appologize for my behavior.
I got a ticket for following to close and throwing an object out of the window.
I am ashamed of not setting a good example for my kid and I'm guilty of that.I am also guilty of tossing a half cup of water out the window but I wasn't following to close.
This probably aint going to be cheap (my middle name).
I'm thinking of fighting the following to close ticket and admitting that I tossed some water out the window. I'm wondering if this might piss the judge off even worse after hearing the CHP's testimony.
What would you do?
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:20:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Pay the fine quickly and quietly.

Not only will it settle the matter legally, it will show your kid that actions have consequences and that you are willing to fess up when you mess up.

Okay, okay. I'll get off the soapbox now... [;)]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:23:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Yea....that few ounces of water sure is a deadly weapon. Why did'nt the gallant officer go after the single guy in the commuter lane (a violation) or when the guy blocked you (a violation)
no, no, go for the guy with the deadly weapon......ASSAULT WATER !!!!
Just pay your tax and move on.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:23:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Ahhhhh... California.  Has it already been ten lovely years since I left that shit hole?

I would of asked the CHPie if the fine was the same for any liquid - not just water.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:36:40 AM EDT
[#4]
How does the cop know you were doing it on purpose?  Is it really illegal in Cali to pour a cup of water out the window?  Have your water restrictions gotten that bad?
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:38:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Pay the fine quickly and quietly.

Not only will it settle the matter legally, it will show your kid that actions have consequences and that you are willing to fess up when you mess up.
View Quote

Exactly.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:42:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:50:05 AM EDT
[#7]
In our great state, it is a FELONY to throw an object out of your car with the intent to hit another person. Be carefull.
PS - next time screw the water, use some nickles. Big enough, heavy enough, and cheap!

[:D]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:53:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Sheesh...what a goofy story from all sides!

First the AH who was playing the power game

Then you who lose your cool IN FRONT OF YOUR KID!

Then...the JBT who pops you for tossing AN OBJECT from your car.

Pulleeeeeezzze!  H2O can be construed as an OBJECT?  Sorry officer, can't handle that one.

Following too close I can understand...but I think the second charge is a bit of a stretch.

Anyway...follow the above advice; pay the fine quietly and promptly.  Even if you think you have a chance on the tossing charge, getting the Chip in court would just cause you more grief and not worth the effort.

California...figures.  Lesson learned here:  Stay cool behind the wheel.  Let the other assclown lose HIS temper.  Especially with the proliferation of CHPs all over the roads out there like fleas on a dog's back.

(Gee...wonder if the cop would have busted him if the OBJECT had been spittle?  Probably would have shot him for assault with a deadly loogie.)
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:09:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In Texas, the only things allowed to be tossed from a vehicle are potable water and live chicken feathers (no joke).

I wonder what the is in your area?
View Quote

This is true for VA too. Although it is the PRK we're talking, it might be worth a check.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:10:18 AM EDT
[#10]
They better fine that bitch mother nature too! She throws water all over the place! The water you threw out was probably cleaner too!

Since you now know better than to do what you did I am going to go the other direction and saying to fight it, at least the water citation. The other one you will have to gauge your chance of winning and decide morally if you wanna pursue it. If your kid asks what you did with the tickets just say "I took care of them", not a lie, how you took care of it is your business.

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:11:51 AM EDT
[#11]
You really screwed up. Whenever you are speeding and/or weaving in and out of traffic you must scan the area for cops.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Pay the fine quickly and quietly. ...
View Quote

Agreed.

You’re thinking about contesting a traffic charge while pretty much admitting to committing an assault??

If you fight it, you’ll have to tell what exactly happened!  The trooper will also tell what he saw.

If you tell the truth, the judge certainly isn’t going to be sympathetic.  If you don’t and the trooper contradicts you, the judge will probably be even more unsympathetic.  How can you win?

And admitting you did this with your child in the car only makes things look worse.

In my state, a trooper who sees the behavior you’ve described could legimately arrest you and throw you in jail!  Plus, I can only imagine what that does to your insurance rates.

If you decide to fight it, you would do well to talk to a lawyer first.  You don’t need a “following to close” charge somehow morphing into an “assault” or “road rage” charge.

I’d chalk it up to a lesson learned, and gracefully exit.

Good luck in any event.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 11:12:49 AM EDT
[#13]
I have spent two careers, first as a cop and then as an attorney dealing with people who, as the result of momentary lapses in judgement, do foolish things they later regret and for wich they pay severe peneltys.  Most of them, unfortunately, could have only wished to have gotten the deal you received and have instead ended up with criminal records or extremely high legal fees.

Your storey calls to mind the expression "act in haste and repent at leisure" which recognizes the very human phenomenon of impulsive actions.  You could argue that your actions ought not be elevated out of proportion to the situation and its consequences.  But I would pay the fine and look at it as a learning experience, count my blessings and move forward.

I must say am a little surprised at the comments here regarding the "JBT."  (a) He in fact gave you a play and was doing his job, if he had released you without taking any action and the "throwee" complained he would have been in hot water, (b) he let you go with a minimal summons.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 11:15:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Consider consulting with a criminal defense lawyer to keep you from digging yourself in deeper.  If the Caliban pushes for felony charges you definitely need one.

Take your lumps like a man and get on with your life.  Learn from the experience.  It will make you a better driver.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 11:24:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 11:27:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Sorry to hear about the ticket...next time you want to throw a half cup of water, do like my brother-in-laws says..."give 'em the juice". Simply pass them, in the right lane, move back over and let them catch up, wash your windshield. Similar effect. No 'object throwing'. No bad influence on the kiddies. Works for me![;)]

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 11:28:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have spent two careers, first as a cop and then as an attorney dealing with people who, as the result of momentary lapses in judgement, do foolish things they later regret and for wich they pay severe peneltys.  Most of them, unfortunately, could have only wished to have gotten the deal you received and have instead ended up with criminal records or extremely high legal fees.

Your storey calls to mind the expression "act in haste and repent at leisure" which recognizes the very human phenomenon of impulsive actions.  You could argue that your actions ought not be elevated out of proportion to the situation and its consequences.  But I would pay the fine and look at it as a learning experience, count my blessings and move forward.

[red]I must say am a little surprised at the comments here regarding the "JBT."  (a) He in fact gave you a play and was doing his job, if he had released you without taking any action and the "throwee" complained he would have been in hot water, (b) he let you go with a minimal summons.[/red]
View Quote

yes....how dare anyone berate this kind and benevolent officer. He was only doing his job, and besides, you did throw several ounces of assault water out the window. You should kiss his ass and thank him for being so kind.

Link Posted: 1/3/2003 11:52:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
In Texas, the only things allowed to be tossed from a vehicle are potable water and live chicken feathers (no joke).
View Quote

To be considered LIVE chicken feathers, wouldn't they have to be still attached to the chicken? Man, that would leave a mark!
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 11:56:59 AM EDT
[#19]
[b]I would feel bad too if my kids were in the car and I acted like that - THAT would bother me more than the ticket itself.[/b]

Well you also justified his job yesterday, and his $70K+ pay.

This could of easily have been me.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:00:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Point of fact, Mechandy was not arrested or charged with any assault related criminal charge, and was merely summonsed for traffic violations for following too closely and throwing an "object" from his vehicle.

He probably came off as a good guy and that is why he got the dressing down (also for the benefit of the recruit) and the lowest possible infraction as well.

Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:02:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Well........I hope you learned something!
keep cup on water one foe the jacka$$ and one for the cop[:D]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:11:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How does the cop know you were doing it on purpose?  Is it really illegal in Cali to pour a cup of water out the window?  Have your water restrictions gotten that bad?
View Quote

Yep, in a L.A. Times story a few years ago on dump trucks dropping rocks and pitting/cracking automobile windshields, the only thing you can legally drop on Kalif. highways is chicken feathers! it is illegal to drop water on the highways and is a ticketable offense.

Yep, any traffic ticket from the CHP is going to be very expensive, probably on the order of hundred bucks, because the state needs the money to offset the $35BILLION budget deficit. If you appear before the judge, and get the "following too close" dismissed, there are the other violations they can nail you on. Personally, if I were you, and you are eligible, I would strongly suggest going to traffic school, and consider it a lesson learned.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:28:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:41:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top