Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2003 7:49:36 AM EDT
Remember all, Islam is a religion of PEACE.

....Oh, and rape.  Don't forget rape.

[url]http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/01/03/wgang03.xml&sSheet=/news/2003/01/03/ixnewstop.html/news/2003/01/03/wgang03.xml[/url]

'Gang rape' victim faces jail on adultery charges
By Philip Delves Broughton in Paris
(Filed: 03/01/2003)

A businesswoman who accused three men of gang rape has been arrested in Dubai and faces trial on charges of adultery.

Touria Tiouli, 39, from Limoges, in France, has had her passport confiscated and cannot leave Dubai after being charged under the emirate's Sharia law.

This declares any sexual relationship outside marriage to be illegal.

Mme Tiouli was on a business trip last October when, she alleges, she was raped by three men who offered her a lift home from a nightclub.

She reported the attack immediately to the Dubai police, who after investigating her claim arrested her rather than those she accused.

One of the men admitted to having "consensual sex" with Mme Tiouli, which made her, in the eyes of Dubai's judiciary, guilty of both adultery and making a false rape accusation. She could face up to 18 months in prison. None of the men has been charged.

Mme Tiouli was held in prison for five days and has since been staying at a hotel.

The government has taken her passport and refused to let her leave the country until her trial, which has not yet been scheduled.

Friends in Limoges issued a statement from Mme Tiouli yesterday. It said that when she reported her rape to the police, "I was crying and I saw quickly that my story did not carry any weight with them."

She added: "I am frightened and I am not sleeping." Her 14-year-old son is staying with friends in France.

Mme Tiouli, who is divorced, was born in Morocco but moved to France as a child and is a French citizen.

This was her third visit to Dubai, where she worked on behalf of French luxury goods companies establishing links in the local market and dealing with the French consulate.

When she reported her attack to the police, she believed her status as a French citizen with close ties to the consulate would lead to her being taken seriously.

Sharia law is applied with varying severity in many Muslim countries. In Nigeria, adultery is punishable by stoning to death, while in Dubai a prison sentence is usual.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/3/2003 7:54:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 7:54:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 7:55:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Islam, the religion of pieces!

[grenade]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:08:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:16:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So we have at last an instance of someone being better off in France!  [:D]
View Quote

HAHAHA!!!!
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:27:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Ironically...

In our system, we sentence and send lawbreakers to prison to get gang raped.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:28:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Can anyone say that this is actually a surprise?  

[sarcasm]Sucks for the french woman, but what did she expect after getting in the car with three animals?[/sarcasm]  
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:40:56 AM EDT
[#8]
she is no longer married so i guess they can drop the adultery charge
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:47:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
she is no longer married so i guess they can drop the adultery charge
View Quote

Not if any of the men were married. Under Sharia, if you have sex with a married person, you too are guilty of adultery, and if the married one is a man, he gets off because he was "tempted" by the woman. Really wonderful way to run a society isn't it?  NOT!
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:22:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Islam, the religion of pieces!

[grenade]
View Quote

ROFLMMFAO!!!!!  That was a great one.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:30:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:34:39 AM EDT
[#12]
This is great news, my brothers!  Now the precedent has been set, my droogs and I can break loose for a bit of the ol' in and out!
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 5:20:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey [b]ken-mays[/b]...
[url]http://performanceart.net/personal/rants/images/clockwork_orange_got_milk_alex.jpg[/url]

BISHOP
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 2:04:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hey [b]ken-mays[/b]...
[url]http://performanceart.net/personal/rants/images/clockwork_orange_got_milk_alex.jpg[/url]

BISHOP
View Quote

LMAO, I think I have found my new wallpaper.  I wonder why I haven't seen the Dairy Council use this?
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 4:30:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Bishop:
I saw a t-shirt of this once. Know where I can find one in super-oversized ogre? Sorry, Ir not brite and aint figured out how to make the link active yet.                                              performanceart.net/personal/rants/images/clockwork_orange_got_milk_alex.jpg
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:02:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Sharia is a strange bird, legally speaking, but this is not the first time I've seen cases like this.

There are seven crimes specified in the Koran, adultery being one of them.  Each of these crimes specifies the actions prohibited, and, the number of witnesses required for the crime to be considered covered under Sharia.  In this case, it is four witnesses.

If her divorce is not recognized, then she is married.  The four witnesses are the three accused rapists, and the complainant herself.  Interesting how this works, huh?

When I was in law school I took a class in Islamic law for S&G (and because most of the other crap got boring by the third year).  I puzzled over a case I ran across in Pakistan in the 1980s where a woman was convicted of adultery after being raped by her employer (she was a housemaid) and his son.  She became pregnant and gave birth.  Who were the witnesses?  I had to read between the lines here:  the complainant, the employer (who was married and, under the law, that makes his sexual partner an adulteress), the employer's son, and ... I guess the child by the rape.  Her sentence was commuted.

I am not trying to apologize for the behavior of religious zealots, but you might appreciate this:  when these laws were set down (7th Century AD) Christians were hanging, burning, beheading, precipitating (i.e., throwing people off towers and cliffs), and otherwise letting much blood for crimes established with far less proof.  Up until two hundred years ago, Englishmen would gladly hang a person for theft (with one witness), while under Sharia the accused would get his hand cut off (with a minimum of two witnesses).

Civilization is a thin veneer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top