Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2003 7:47:00 AM EDT
SAN BERNARDINO: 2 rob shoe store, shoot at guards

Two men robbed a shoe store Thursday morning, making off with an undisclosed amount of cash and firing at two unarmed security guards chasing them from the business, police said.

The men robbed Payless Shoe Source in the 2300 block of North Sterling Avenue about 10 a.m. The two security guards were fired upon by at least one of the robbers, San Bernardino police Sgt. Gwendolyn Waters said.

No one was injured during the robbery or shooting, Waters said. No arrests were made.

Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:02:46 AM EDT
[#1]
If criminals didnt believe they would be shot at by armed patrols they woulndt be armed themselves.. ban em all.. make the world a better place.

elected offical:
[red]another example of how gun control < ie no one was hurt> works.. ... [/red]

poor unarmed joe:[blue]
but the perp got away.. !![/blue]

elected offical
[red]shh... just smile for the cameras..[/red]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:04:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:31:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Interesting that this shoe store had [i]two[/i] security guards.
View Quote

well, maybe because shoes come in pairs. And, um, two people might come in to steal a pair of shoes and go in different directions. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Unarmed security guards are nothing but customer service people that earn less and don't serve the customer. What are they going to do, throw a menacing glance in the shooter's direction???
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:43:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:04:51 AM EDT
[#5]
What an oxymoron that is: [b]unarmed security guards[/b].

Wouldn't the fact that they're unarmed make them just simple potential [b]victims[/b]?   There's certainly no "security" or "guard" associated withe word "unarmed".

Oh sorry, I was thinking clearly there for a minute.  [rolleyes]

CMOS
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 7:24:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:40:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:46:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I was a security guard prior to the military, and was also unarmed. The company said to protect the customer by any means, but the supervisors all said the same thing, if they got a gun, let them run! I always worked in businesses so all I had to do was check doors for 8 hours at a time. Really boring work...not like what I am doing [b]right[/b] now!
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 1:29:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I am an unarmed security officer at a hotel near Dayton, OH and have often wondered about situations like this.  Basically our job is to observe and report.  In essence, we have become the "eyes and ears of management" during the night.  Corporate regards us as Loss Prevention and we are able to fulfill that responsibility [i]most[/i] of the time. The most violent crime our property has seen is Armed Robbery.  I believe, that even if we had been armed, we would have lost our jobs if we had intervened.  I say this because our management prefers to avoid confrontation at all cost.
One night, after notifying local law enforcement, I once chased two car thieves on foot for a 1/2 mile armed with only an ASP (extendable baton) and Motorola two-way radio.  I look back on this today as a dumb decision.  Yes, I find it extremely disheartening that our capabilities to interdict with criminal activity are so limited.  I even watched two thieves drive my wife's car off property and was not able to stop them or slow them enough for the police to arrive. I was over 100 yards away when the vehicle began to move around the building.   I informed the Front Desk, ran to the parking lot's exit, and was less than 10 feet away when they exited our parking lot and could have easily stopped them if I had been armed. The problem is that we are really there to give the property an insurance break and maintain a mere presence.  The next time we saw that car it was stripped to the frame. [:(] However, given the amount of immaturity I have witnessed in many former security officers, I am often thankful we are unarmed. I only hope that I don't have to regret that feeling on some dark night.  The only thing that keeps me here are the people and the pay.  I still can't wait to finish college and join the Air Force though.    
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 3:10:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Steely eyed mall ninja doing his best Jesse The Body in Predator,

"C'mon, old payless is waitin"
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:35:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:06:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 5:25:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 7:10:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Knowing the quality of the typical security guard working for $5.15 an hour, aren't you glad most aren't armed?
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 10:59:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I once had a security guard call the fire marshall on me.

I was in front of a grocery store (in the fire lane) and I let my passenger out to throw something in the trash.  I must've been there for 15 seconds with my engine running, truck in drive, and my foot on the brake.

He tried to claim that I had "parked" in a fire zone, and went and called the fire marshall.  He tried to tell me that they would come by my house and possibly arrest me [rolleyes] for violating the law (which I hadn't).

I politely told him to go fuck himself, and drove off.

Then I called the grocery store and told them they lost my business until he was fired.  Haven't seen him since.
View Quote

We had a fire department command unit with FIRE/RESCUE on it along with a really nice red/blue light bar & other goodies parked in the local K-Mart parking lot (ringing the bell for Salvation Army) when out of the store comes the K-Mart NINJA wacker.

We were told this was a FIRE lane and that the FIRE truck had to be moved incase there was a FIRE so the FIRE department culd put out the fire.

After trying to explain to the female k-mart ninja we were the FIRE DEPARTMENT and the truck while not a pumper was still a FIRE TRUCK and we were parked legally.

She started to flip out saying how she was going to call the POLICE and have us arrested & the FIRE truck towed so the FIRE department could park their BIG RED FIRE TRUCKS where we were parked.

After somebody went into k-mart & tracked down the highest ranking on duty person & explained to her what was going on she came out and told the K-mart ninja to take the rest of the day off as we (the FIRE DEPARTMENT) were there ringing the bells for the salvation army and that the truck parked in the FIRE lane was really a real FIRE truck and not a truck painted like one.

Somebody smiled at the ninja lady as she walked past and asked her if she would like some prozack & valium before going home (VBG)
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 11:06:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I guess since it was a shoe store the Security Comany sent over 2 of thier best Loafers.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 12:42:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I guess since it was a shoe store the Security Comany sent over 2 of thier best Loafers.
View Quote

Hahaha, lol.

Good one. :)
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 12:58:42 AM EDT
[#18]
This begs the question:

Who employs the security guards at nuke plants, are they all armed, and what is their training?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top