Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2003 5:06:46 AM EDT
can i directly lay new vinyl over my old- seems like tearing up old would make for a more uneven working surface.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 5:29:42 AM EDT
[#1]
You can lay new over old.  I lived in an aparment that had 3 layers.  Personally, I'd tear out the old, but if its a smooth even surface, and its still adhered to the sub-floor, then you shouldn't have any problem.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 5:55:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Cleatus,
You can lay up to 3 layer's but 2 is normally the limit.
If you leave the old then just make sure it is smooth...i.e. you may have to sand down the high or rough spots.
If you are going to tear out the old then go to Lowe's or Home Depot or somewhere similar and get a floor scraper that is about 18" long with replaceble razor type blades. They usually have a big knob (weighted) on the handle for you to put your palm on to push.
Some of the the old floor will come up very easy...Some of it will not![BD] It is all according to how old it is and how good it is glued down!
Best of luck with the project as mine turned out great![:D]

If I can help you in any other way just let me know!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 6:02:07 AM EDT
[#3]
the current vinyl in in excellent condition, just ugly as sin (yellow).  it has a very light wave texture, but i dont think it will press through-famous last words...
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 6:05:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Sound's like you will be in good condition![:D]

Most of the vinyl will be thick enough not to show any texture!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 6:25:35 AM EDT
[#5]
One other thing...don't use the vinyl tiles, get the sheet goods on a roll.  Those tiles never sit right and always look like shit in the end.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 6:39:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Tear it up.  OR put a piece of luan subfloor over it.  1/4" or so.  I just tore out two layers of vinyl and two luan subfloor layers.  Laid down new 1/2" BC plywood and the install went GREAT!  Much easier than it was going to be on the old crappy flooring.  You also will be able to see if there are any areas you need to address on the subfloor, moulding, etc.

Ed  
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 6:59:55 AM EDT
[#7]
When we first moved into our house my wife wanted the vinyl replaced. New vinyl was installed over the existing vinyl. What they did was to first put down a 1/8" plywood and staple it down like crazy and then glue the vinyl to it. One of the floors they just glued the vinyl directly to the old vinyl. The installer said it was dependent upon the type of vinyl and it's surface as to wether you needed the plywood.

Things to watch out for that I learned. In a bathroom multiple layers of flooring can make it difficult for the toilet to get a good seal on the closet flange. You  may need to use two wax rings one stacked on the other.

In our kitchen the refrigerator would rock ever so slightly as we walked by it. I thought the entire floor was soft. When I ripped out all the vinyl I discovered that the sub-floor and joists were fine the bounce was because of the multiple layers of vinyl and plywood. I ripped out all the vinyl and plywood layers and replaced it with hardwood, it's much better.

We also noticed that not long after we put in the new vinyl floors they started to Yellow. I found out that the coal tar additives in driveway sealer get on your shoes and then react with the vinyl causing it to yellow. I have kicked the vinyl habit and now stick to hardwood or ceramic tile.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 7:08:46 AM EDT
[#8]
How much floor area do you have?
The reason I ask is ceramic tiles might cost more but they do look nice.
Each of my guys can average at least 100sqft per day and that is not their specialty.
They put 900sqft in my house using 3/16 "hardyboard" which is harder to install and the job cost me near $3,500.It took a week and included major dry rot repair in the bathroom.
The neighbor swapped labor with a friend and he installed 200 sqft of tile on vinyl in his kitchen and it took 2 days because of grouting.I don't recommend going over vinyl but after 3 years he only has 2 loose tiles and some grout issuses.I thought it would be much worse.
My brother inlaw never touched the stuff and did his kitchen in 16" tiles. It looks sweet.
If you really want to go cheap vinyl tiles are as cheap as it gets.
I'm personally not a tile man but I bid the jobs and have my guys do it when required.
If you ever consider having some one do tile for you I'd be more than happy to review their bid for you to see if they are being fair.
Good luck.
Andy
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 7:26:45 AM EDT
[#9]

VCT...   Vinyl composition Tile

It's the commercial tile you see in all the stores....   Held down with mastic adhesive that you apply.  It wears retro actively.  In other words.. The design/colors are through the entire tile, so it wont show wear.   You can wax buff it if you want a shiny floor or leave it the semi mat/satin look it comes in.

It will last forever..  and is much cheaper that other fancy vinyl prestick.

I did most of my rooms in Black...  [:)]

If you don't want to do the work yourself, you can get it done for about 1.20 a square foot..  that's material and labor complete

If your existing yellowish floor is shiny, I would suggest lightly sanding it, and applying a roll on floor primer with whatever you decide.  Good Luck [:)]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:03:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Before you apply directly over the old tile - strip the floor completely with 'new beginnings' from armstrong. Local hardware or homedepot / lowes should have it.

And nows the time to get rid of any squeeks in the floor by nailing the squeek parts down and just covering it up with a little extra adhesive between the layers.

If it's the original floor, I'd go for it. If it already had two layers on it, I'd tear it up, especially if you're going to be there for awhile. That way when you or the wife decide you want a newer floor, you don't have to rip up three layers of vinyl.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#11]
If your floor is relatively level and solid there are laminate wood veneer floors that can be laid down over the vinyl.

We put one down in our kitchen, it is a floating floor laid down over a thin foam pad laid on top of the vinyl. The floating flooring has interlocking edges is not attached to anything but itself, no nails, no glue just snaps together. The finish is tough and after 2 years it still looks just like a solid wood floor. If I ever want to change it I can just take it apart and replace it with a different color/stain.  

Problem is I cannot remember what it is called; I will try and find the old packing.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I am kinda afraid of the laminate floors becuae it is in the bathroom- lots of water(tub, shower) afraid it would get in the seams and ruin it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top