Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2001 1:41:14 PM EDT
I saw a K2(?) in a gunshop yesterday, it was made by Daewoo and was a post ban. It had a thumbhloe stock, this was the most comfortable thumbhole stoch that I've haled. I know it use the AK gas system and the rest is supposed to be of AR-15 design, My questions are !1. how does it compare to the AR-15(reliable & accurate?)2. can you still buy them? If anyone has any exprience with the two, I welcome your comments.
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 1:55:56 PM EDT
[#1]
congradualtions ghostface - you have just held the finest marriage of the ar/ak system (short of the hkg36) in the world.  the model you saw is not the k2 but the dr200 - the stock is comfy but goofy looking- you can buy a us made pistol grip conversion from ace. ltd (they used to advertise in shotgun news) this will give you a pistol grip and a fixed 'folder' - the kit ws about $150ish i think

the sights are best of a1 and a2 features.  the gas system is bulletproof.  the rifle is very accurate to 300 meters with iron sights and 55gr ammo.  the twist is 1-12. easy to maintain it takes ar mags.  always overlooked and ususally underpriced -

the downside is spares - but i have yet to hear of anyone needing any.

steve
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Well to answer your questions:

1)The Daewoo is made in the ROK.  They were one of the first to license produce the M-16.  It is a high quality rifle.  Mine has been more accurate than any of my AR's.  The AK gas system gives it the edge in reliablity as well in my opinion.

2)You can still buy them, you saw one in a gunshop, right?  They are no longer imported though.  What's in the country now, is what the supply will be unless somebody starts briging them in again.

Here is what a pre-ban K2 looks like:
[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1289692&a=9560558&p=41854258&Sequence=0[/img]

They are in my opinion, better than the AR-15.  The stock really folds, the gas system doesn't blow dirt into the action and is adjustable, it takes AR-15/M-16 accessories, the sights are much better than the A1 and more practical than the A2, it's far easier to maintain, and it's still a lightweight rifle.

Alot of folks bring up the lack of parts.  This is valid, but many AR parts fit outright, or can be easily modified to work.  Some parts would have to be custom made, but even then it's not impossible by any means.  I do not believe the rifle to be any more prone to breakage than the AR.  The question is really how much do you really need spare parts?  SHTF scenario?  Well, I'd take my Daewoo without parts over an AR without parts.  Since I can plan ahead, I'd already have the spare parts on hand for the Daewoo, if that's what I'm worried about.  Like I said, there's many of the parts are AR compatible, and you could just make a firing pin and ejector pretty easy.  All the springs and pins are AR.  The internals are avaialable from ACE, Ltd.  The bolt carrier can be made from an AR carrier.  If you want a whole extra rifle worth of parts, just buy another rifle.

Get it, they're great rifles.

Ross
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 3:59:06 PM EDT
[#3]
My DR200 is not as accurate as my AR. Its kinda heavy up front too (though that's subjective). A korean pal of mine says they generally consider the M-16 more accurate. People lament the notion they can't find "parts," though I don't foresee needing any (never needed "parts" for either the dr or ar). I like the fact it takes AR mags, and that it cost under $500 when I bought it (I saw it as a far superior alternative to the mini-14). Now I think they are overpriced (hell I've seen them priced over $900). Not being an engineer, I can't say if the operating system is mo' better. I say if ya want it, get it, ya got nothin to lose.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I love my K2.  Here is a picture.  Sorry about the size, I don't have enough space on my computer to load my fireworks software.

[img]http://itomnt2.cob.appstate.edu/web200/web231/k2/k21.jpg[/img]

here are two more photos if you want to look.

[url]http://itomnt2.cob.appstate.edu/web200/web231/k2/k23.jpg[/url]
[url]http://itomnt2.cob.appstate.edu/web200/web231/k2/k24.jpg[/url]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top