Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2003 10:37:01 AM EDT
I've got severe problems with a neighbor and am considering a security camera system to provide some security for my property.  Over the past 3 years we've had to have the police out when the neighbor was running around the neighborhood with a shotgun saying people were after him that weren't even there.  He was taken for a mental evaluation but unfortunately released the next day.  That is just one example of the many problems we've had.  He's extremely paranoid and thinks that people are always trying to break into his home.  Recently I was attacked by one of his dogs that he never keeps in his yard.  The dog has been a continual problem and when animal control was out he told them that I go on his property and let the dogs out, at the same time he claims I also go through his house.  Later that night he tried to have me arrested for breaking and entering. I've never once gone on his property, it's a good place to steer clear of.  He claims he has witnesses though and get his girlfriend who is as crazy as he is to give false police reports.  Now his actions have turned towards me.  He puts spot lights on my home directed at my bedroom windows, waits outside at night just waiting for me to go and check on my animals and then he keeps a light on me while I'm out in the yard.  He claims my fence is his (I have receipts to prove it's not) and tells me threats such as he will kill me if I go near the fence.  He says I'm not allowed to go out of my home at night.  At one point he even held a handgun on my mom and I threatening to kill us if we didn't go back in the house and stay there until it was light out.  The police were called from my cell phone but unfortunately when they arrived they sat in their cars for 2 or 3 minutes before coming back and when he saw that he walked in his house put the gun inside and came out with a camera telling the police that's what he had, not a gun.  It was his word against mine so the police did nothing.  The police want me to get a restraining order but I'm not sure how well the will work with a neighbor and any time the police are called out it just makes him more angry.  He also does nothing in their presence so it will always be my word against his in court.  I take care of my handicapped mother and 84 year old grandma so I'm concerned about their safety.  Last night he's threatened to kill my dogs if they are out of the yard which they never are but I'm afraid he will make let them out just to do it.  All of this brings me to the idea of using video surveillance and continually recording it both to prevent him from doing things, hopefully seeing the cameras might make him think twice about it, using it for evidence in the event he does and also using it to show that I don't trespass on his property by going over my fence like he claims I do.  Cost is a factor in setting this up because I don't have much to spend.  I've seen some low price setups on the harbor freight website, has anyone tried those?  Someone also told me about a low cost four camera system at Sams Club but I don't know any details yet.  I need to record sound but I don't know how the mics on the small cameras will work and having some night vision capability would be good.  A wired system is fine and I don't need hidden cameras, having them in plain view is fine.  Also I guess I'll need a time lapse VCR to record the video and sound.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can set this up and or someone I can buy equipment from?   Thanks, John
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 10:41:59 AM EDT
[#1]
"Over the past 3 years we've had to have the police out when the neighbor was running around the neighborhood with a shotgun saying people were after him that weren't even there. He was taken for a mental evaluation but unfortunately released the next day. That is just one example of the many problems we've had. He's extremely paranoid and thinks that people are always trying to break into his home."

so...what's his screen name.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 11:13:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 11:17:56 AM EDT
[#3]
This guy sounds like a meth-head, both he and the girlio are twisted, you sure they're not operating a speed lab next door to your house???

Any funky odors?  Any unusual traffic?  

If so, call in a report to the local DEA boys.  If what I'm suspecting turns out to be true you'd be rid of him pronto, and for a very very long time.

Best of luck, Eric
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:34:12 PM EDT
[#4]
A Black and White camera should do.  Discount and hardware stores have nice systems for a good price. Most of them have the monitor and multiple cameras with a VCR option.

Avoid any X10 stuff.

Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:38:46 PM EDT
[#5]
It sounds as if your neighbor has a physiological problem.

HE IS A THREAT - I have seen people like this even turn on their own families. If he has family try to get them to help you. They may be able to confirm that he has problems. Definitely, get a restraining order.  If he threatens you again call the police.

With regard to the camera, I would suggest something that can work in low light such as the Sony Digital 8 with nightshot.  

Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:55:37 PM EDT
[#6]
[url]www.123cctv.com[/url]

We have a Z200 that works with a standard VCR. We have a deep fish pond in the back yard and live in town. The yard is fenced in but we were having problems with things around the pond being disturbed. It was the neighbor kids. Of course, "My little angles wouldn't do that.", until presented with video evidence. End of problem. I'm just glad the little idiots didn't fall in the pond(5' deep).

Fred
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:59:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#8]
If you are a muslim, the people here will be saluting your neighbor for his acts of patriotism.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:15:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info and suggestions so far.  I'm leaving shortly for an appointment with an attorney to start the restraining order process.  I'm also following up with the local PD Captain if he will return my call.  I've mad 3 attempts to talk with him over the 10 days and he will not return my calls.  So if I get no response from him today them I'm going to the city council.  The man does have family and he has turned against them.  They had a big legal battle over his father's estate.  Unfortunately they seem to be equally crazy, just in different ways.  I've tried to contact the only one I've seen that seemed normal but have been unable to locate them.  I've got a Sony Digital  8 with night vision that I try to use but unfortunately by the time you can grab it and get it on him it's too late.  That's why I think the mounted security cameras will work better.  I agree with the paper trail.  I keep a diary and thought all of the reports from the last few years have been on file with the police but learned last week that wasn't true.  They only took incident reports, not full reports as I asked them to and they claim they are gone from the computer after 90 days.  I didn't know they were incident reports until I started giving them the numbers to pull and they told me that they were incident numbers not report numbers.  I believe they are still available some place in the department though and am going to ask the captain and or city council to retrieve them.  I've thought of contacting the DEA. I've noticed people coming and going from time to time, no strange smells or anything but the guy hardly ever leaves the house yet he owns a new corvette, late model Porsche, a motor home, a nice late model import street motor cycle, two newer boats and wave runners.  Seems like a lot of money coming in from some place, maybe it is drugs, who knows but it doesn't hurt to have them check it out I suppose.  Unfortunately here in Calif people like that seem to have all the rights and good honest people have to fight hard and spend lots of money to prove they are in the right.   John
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:22:20 PM EDT
[#10]
How attached are you to living there?  I know it hurts to tuck your tail and run, but sometimes that is the best way out.  

Here's something you might try.  Do a few of the above suggestions for a designated amount of time.  Set a date.  A month, maybe two.  Be crafty, but don't be obvious.  Watch out for the times of day he sleeps, if you can.  If he's that paranoid it may not be much.  Do the camera installation then.  

Think of what would be the best way to fuck with him.  If he's going to be paranoid, confirm his fears, but not in a way that he could prove you did it.  YOU MUST BE VERY CAREFUL.  Think everything out before you do go ahead with any plan.  Try to have fun with this idiot.  Don't do anything extremely criminal.  Be creative.  Let your evil side hatch a sceme or two.  

If things worsen and you are still uncomfortable there, move.  Your house is your sanctuary, it is vital to your sanity that you are at ease there.  And if you do end up moving, then truly make his life hell.  At least you won't have to suffer his wrath from afar.

Good luck!  [;D]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 2:03:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I've noticed people coming and going from time to time, no strange smells or anything but the guy hardly ever leaves the house yet he owns a new corvette, late model Porsche, a motor home, a nice late model import street motor cycle, two newer boats and wave runners.
View Quote

Dude, the reason I gave you that head's up in the first place is that the ex-wife of a work buddy of mine ended up with meth-heads, and is going down with them as we speak, we're talking serious federal drug charges, pretty much guaranteed felony convictions. Their behavior rings a majorly loud bell. Bad shit, mon!

The "never leaves the house" sure sounds like a lab to me. As far as aroma goes, if it's a big enough residence they can dilute the effluent to the point that it's not perceptible.  That's what happened with the dumb bitch I referenced earlier.  The lab in her house (fairly large, guessing 2000+ sq ft on around 1/4 acre) had been going for who knows how long, they finally got busted when deputies were serving an eviction notice and noticed drugs and weapons in plain sight.  Ended up being the biggest meth bust in this state in the last two years.

Call the DEA, the more details you provide the more it sounds like drugs.

-Eric
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top