Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2003 7:02:25 AM EDT
This is one carjacker that won't be stealing any more cars.

Tennessee Carjacker Picks Wrong Guy To Assault
By Marc Morano
CNSNews.com Senior Staff Writer
January 01, 2003

(CNSNews.com) - A man who turned the tables and fatally shot a would-be carjacker in Nashville this week deserves a "good citizenship" award for fighting crime, according to a national gun advocacy group.

According to published reports, Billy J. Brown stopped at a convenience store in South Nashville at around 1:00 a.m. on Dec. 29 to get a snack. When he got back into his car, he was surprised by two carjackers demanding that Brown start driving.

Instead of following orders, Brown pulled out his gun and shot and killed one of the carjackers who had jumped into the backseat, according to police and press reports. The other carjacker fled the scene, but was later apprehended by police and reportedly admitted to the attempted carjacking. Brown has not been charged with any violation of the law, but the local district attorney is expected to review the case.

"I hope there is some agency at the state level that is prepared to reward this guy or give the guy an award appropriate to the circumstances," said Joe Waldron, executive director of the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, in an interview with CNSNews.com.

"[Brown] deserves some kind of a good citizenship award," Waldron said.

Waldron believes Brown's actions were completely justifiable.

"When an incident like this occurs with the carjacker being killed, while any loss of life is unfortunate, the carjacker made that decision and had suffered the consequences," he explained.

But a group favoring restrictions on gun ownership cautioned that this one incident should not be used to draw conclusions on gun laws or to heap praise on any individuals.

"Anecdotal stories like this don't necessarily make up good policy. To say that because one individual may have used his gun in self-defense in this case doesn't necessarily mean anything about gun policy. It tells you very little," said Matt Bennett, spokesman for Americans for Gun Safety.

"Gun laws should not be based on one event, either tragic gun shootings or instances of self-defense like this," Bennett said.

"There are 250 million guns in private hands. It is a much more complicated issue," he added.

But Waldron said instances in which would-be victims fight back against criminals are not rare.

"This case is actually quite common. There are any numbers of legal defensive gun uses in the United States everyday and newspapers are beginning to carry more accounts of these things," Waldron explained.

"Every day, I see reports of citizens, law abiding armed citizens, who are forced by circumstance to use a firearm to protect themselves and their families," he added.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:05:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Good for him, the scumbag(s) need to know we are not going to take it anymore.

Line em up and mow em down.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:19:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Did it mention that the carjackers had threaten him w/any type of weapon?
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:39:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Did it mention that the carjackers had threaten him w/any type of weapon?
View Quote

Actually I think they did in one of the first stories posted.  Not that it would matter to me under like circumstances.  I would assume that anyone crazy or determined enough to climb in my car and make such a demand on me would be armed with something to ensure that I bend to their will, and that they would use that weapon given the chance.  Therefore, since I choose to carry, I would draw my weapon and shoot the perp dead, just as this gentleman did.

I believe the vic used a .44 revolver to shoot the perp right through the vehicle seat.

Hope the cops helped him clean up his vehicle.

Wonder how the insurance company would handle that?  Imagine the phonecon when you make the claim to repair or replace the shot up parts of your vehicle.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:55:28 AM EDT
[#4]

"Anecdotal stories like this don't necessarily make up good policy. To say that because one individual may have used his gun in self-defense in this case doesn't necessarily mean anything about gun policy. It tells you very little," said Matt Bennett, spokesman for Americans for Gun Safety.
View Quote

What?!  These idiots whole campaign is based on anecdotal evidence and manipulation.  This is like the pot calling the kettle black!

2 million+ instances of defensive gun use every year is not anecdotal!
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:00:08 AM EDT
[#5]
"Gun laws should not be based on one event, either tragic gun shootings or instances of self-defense like this," Bennett said.

HAHAHA!!  I can't believe they could say this with a straight face.  Don't they all pop out of the woodwork whenever there's a "tragic gun shooting?"
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Excellent!
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:28:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Brown has not been charged with any violation of the law, but the local district attorney is expected to review the case.
View Quote

The poor guy had to go through the trauma of having to kill someone in self-defense, the trauma of having to clean-up after the mess, the hassle of dealing with cops afterward, and now he has to patiently wait on a lawyer to decide his fate.z
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Damn right, the local district attorney will review the case.  then he will get "no billed".  

i hope this is just the usual run around to satisfy the liberal media.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:30:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Joe Waldron is the MAN!
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:12:09 PM EDT
[#10]
That Matt Bennett sounds like a real "Idiot".  This isn't the only instance that someone used his gun in self defence; and it wont be the last.  I bet it happens every day; somewhere.  If it were not for the conceled carry permits;  guys like Brown (or even us) could not defend themselves when a situation like this or any other arises that could be life threatening.  It doesen't say but I assume that Brown had a concealed carry permit.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:04:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I can't believe that guys comments about "good policy" blah, blah, blah. He's just mad another Democrat is taking a dirt nap. What can be a better policy than "shoot the carjacker"?
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:16:22 PM EDT
[#12]
"Complicated issue"
I don't think so.  The guy saved his own skin by exercising his 2nd amendment right.
Sorry that the bad guy got dead.  It would have been more fun for him to rot in jail for 90 days.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:17:29 PM EDT
[#13]
The good guy will probably be sued.   I guess that's better than being dead.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:18:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Good guys: 1
Bad guys: 0

[:)]

CMOS
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:29:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The good guy will probably be sued.   I guess that's better than being dead.
View Quote

Yeah....Its pretty bad when a person defends him or herself and the scum sucker sues the person he was trying to rob for hurting him or his family sues if he is killed.  Whats wrong with this picture??
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:47:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Whats wrong with the picture is that self defense comes at a price. [:\]

Come to think of it, if the family of this sack of shit should sue, I think Billy Brown should shoot the rest of the family for trying to steal from him.  Take from the gene pool what Darwin couldn't.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:25:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Ummm.. this is Tennessee - believe me - he won't get sued.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:36:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Good job! The only bad part is that the good guy now probably has a big mess in his car to clean up, and maybe a bullet hole too. I wonder what the car dealers who say they will take any trade would react to that? Yeah, it's too bad that the carjacker had to die, but he decided to break into a law-abiding citizen's car and threaten him.

View Quote

What a load of BS! Like someone else said, the entire anti-gun movement is based on a few anecdotal stories of admittedly tragic accidents and crime. You can tell all the stories you want, but the fact still remains that law-abiding citizens with guns stop crime about four times more often then criminals with guns commit crimes. That's 2.5 million times a year, or 6850 times a day, or once every 12.6 seconds. I hope someone recorded this statement to throw back in their faces the next time they complain about a media-hyped shooting somewhere. Note also how they disguise their cause with a name like "Americans for Gun Safety", presumably since most people don't like names like "Handgun Control Inc.".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top