Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2003 6:54:03 AM EDT
I am looking for a large breed male dog(german shepherd, rotty, etc...) that doesn't shed too much.  It will mainly be an indoor dog, but will have a large fenced yard to roam also.  Any suggestions?  Also help with the name is welcomed.

thanks
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:16:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:24:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I replied to your IM Mona, I would prefer a younger (under 3 years) dog if possible.  What are the ages of the two you were talking about?
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:29:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Dont get a German-shedder if you are concerned with dog hair....
Its a non stop process...daily brushing and when when they throw their coats a few times a year...lots of hair...to deal with.
But they are the best all around protection companion dogs...imo
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:43:16 AM EDT
[#4]
The only "bigger type" dog that you can get that doesn't shed would have to be a old english sheepdog or something of the like...they have hair, not fur and even then, they drop some.  You cann't have a dog that doesn't shed.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:11:50 AM EDT
[#5]
You should most definately look into Giant Schnauzers. IMHO they are very under-rated. They dont shed and are large and very powerful dogs. They are also supposed to be great watch dogs.

As for the "German Shedder" lol...that is too accurate. We have a GSD (German Shepherd Dog) and though she is a great dog she sheds her weight in hair.

I didnt think Rotties shed nearly as much hair as they do but my mom was just down for the holidays with her 120lb Rot and his kennel was sitting in the same spot for a few days and after they left I noticed that there was a very thick pile of hair all around where the kennel was sitting. I asked her about it and she said he sheds a LOT.

GSD's and Rotts are both great dogs despite shedding so if you do get one I think you will be very happy.

Hope this helps.

[img]http://home.swbell.net/ntrcptr/giantschnauzer.jpg[/img]
[img]http://home.swbell.net/ntrcptr/giant_tyra4.jpg[/img]

Edited to add pics.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:18:54 AM EDT
[#6]
[url=http://www.breedclub.org/malfaq.htm]Belgian Malinois[/url]

[img]http://www.breedclub.org/images/Ball.jpg[/img]

Shorter hair, smaller, but used side by side in many police and gov't agencies.  Even in Germany.

Ed
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:21:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Dont get a German-shedder if you are concerned with dog hair....
Its a non stop process...daily brushing and when when they throw their coats a few times a year...lots of hair...to deal with.
But they are the best all around protection companion dogs...imo
View Quote

Agree with 9Div.  GSD's are IMHO one of the most intelligent and versatile breeds there are.  I have even seen guys out here pheasant hunting with them.  I love mine, he is super smart, obedient, very fast learner, has great instinct, is protective, vocal only when necessary, and loves to please.  But vacuuming is a daily chore...LOTS of hair.  But worth it IMO.
I have a friend that has three Dobermans.  Don't know about shedding, but they have a very short coat.  Would a Doberman suit your needs?  I don't know much about the breed, other than the ones my friend has are not quite as smart as my GSD, and much less burly looking.  

Edited to add:  Can you tell I think the world of my dawg? [BD]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:25:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow, that Belgian Malinois is a purty dog!  My ex is going to be taking Spanky the Springer Spaniel, and I have been thinking about getting another dog so Polo doesn;t have to go without a companion.

Edited cuz I saw the link afterwards!
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:34:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wow, that Belgian Malinois is a purty dog!  My ex is going to be taking Spanky the Springer Spaniel, and I have been thinking about getting another dog so Polo doesn;t have to go without a companion.

Edited cuz I saw the link afterwards!
View Quote

The two Malinois that I have met were VERY attentive.  They were not finished training but they were intent on keeping pace with my hands for instruction and attention.  This is without their owner nearby.  I mean the owner was around but not right there.  I can imagine they are quite attentive to training by the owner or a qualified trainer.

As soon as we are down to one cat in my household I believe I will be buying one.  I like the pic I posted.  However, the ones I saw were not so black through the face.

Ed
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:44:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Others are going to scoff and laugh, but the biggest non-shedder you can get is a standard poodle. They can be good watch dogs and aggressive.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:49:24 AM EDT
[#11]
How about a Portuguese Water Dog or a Standard Poodle?

GunLvr
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:54:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Just a word of advice.  If giant schnauzers bark as much as miniature schnauzers, it will drive you crazy.  My mini schnauzer barks like a madman at everything and anything.  Other than that, he is a great dog.

AR_Shorty
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 10:06:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I had a black standard poodle. Very smart dog. Amiable and protective at the same time. Didn't hardly shed. We had her cut with what they call a "puppy clip", not that stupid poodle cut. Just one even, short length, although we did have her snout shaved. Without the poodle look nobody knew what the hell she was. Great dogs, but very, very willful. Attentive when you are around, but will do as they please when you aren't.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 10:06:43 AM EDT
[#14]
My mini schnauzer never barks at all...until he sees someone outside...then he goes nuts. I dont mind though. Id rather he bark at people he knows than not bark the one time its an intruder. Once whomever it is that he was barking at gets inside the house and he has sniffed them sufficiently he goes back to quiet mode.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 10:10:05 AM EDT
[#15]
[img]groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SgDdAoEV6wmpbUUlZyLiz!5TpZqTkhS9koqUANxHqGNLP5uKsD16zh98yzEUHxsk!pdk324UaMgbP0FonVyeTTtlS1XMjPGnur8hw4P801A9UrsiNem7HQ/IMG_00120.JPG[/img]

Greater Swiss Mountain Dog.  OK, they shed EVERYWHERE, but they are actually easy to maintain other than vacuuming a lot.

For non shedders, your best bet is the standard poodle.  A Portuguese Water Dog is not really a large breed and they require a lot of excercise.  Standard poodles are pretty good watch dogs, you just have to get past the whole "poodle" thing.  Other than that all large breeds are shedders.

Another great dog is the Mastiff.  Can get to be 200+ lbs. but make a great indoor dog.  You could actually keep one in an apartment, as they are pretty low maintenence energy wise.  Great temperments too.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 10:10:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
[url=http://www.breedclub.org/malfaq.htm]Belgian Malinois[/url]

[url]http://www.breedclub.org/images/Ball.jpg[/url]

Shorter hair, smaller, but used side by side in many police and gov't agencies.  Even in Germany.

Ed
View Quote

Seconded.  I grew up with a Belgian Sheepdog - cousin of the Malinois.  She was a fantastic dog, very well-behaved and mild-mannered.  Never bit anyone, ever.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 10:20:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Keep in mind you do live in FLA....very hot, alot of large breed dogs really DISLIKE the heat. German Shepards are great but will suffer in that heat...

I have an Akita, AWSOME Breed IMHO, I would recomend this breed but the FLA heat would kill it.

Get a Rotty, and name it Rommel!  
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 10:22:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for all of the advice so far... I was already kind of leaning towards the Shepherd and think that may be the way I go.  I have a tile floor and am not overly worried about the shedding.  Have any of you Shepherd owners had problems with them chewing furniture, "marking" items inside the house, etc...?
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 10:39:07 AM EDT
[#19]
They need lots of attention and correction growing up...they like to chew...:)

Bitter Apple sprayed on places they are attracted to..helped mine...to learn..

I sit around when the pups are out of their crates waiting for behavior to reward and correct..

when they chew the wrong stuff I say no..not loudly just firmly then give them something appropriate to chew on and when they do I pat them and tell them "good dog"...

lots of praise and pats..

for other behavior I make my own beef jerky which goes along way for treat rewards..

Always watch for a learning/teaching/correction/ opportunity...keep your rewards handy..

I think the key is to crate train raise them..had the best results with this...

She got a few battle scars...but she is a great house protecter. And 8 yrs old
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=3450[/img]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 10:39:45 AM EDT
[#20]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=3566[/img]

Nuff said
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Ratters,

I love those dogs. Very cool looking pooches. That is a great pic. I also like the other one you have where the one is still little.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:49:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
[url]groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SgDdAoEV6wmpbUUlZyLiz!5TpZqTkhS9koqUANxHqGNLP5uKsD16zh98yzEUHxsk!pdk324UaMgbP0FonVyeTTtlS1XMjPGnur8hw4P801A9UrsiNem7HQ/IMG_00120.JPG[/url]

Greater Swiss Mountain Dog.  OK, they shed EVERYWHERE, but they are actually easy to maintain other than vacuuming a lot.

View Quote

My wife and I have admired the GSMD for a long time.  You've got two great looking dogs there.  I'd appreciate an IM with the contact info of the breeder you bought from.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:47:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks BD. [:)]

MD, IM sent.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 2:01:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top