Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2003 3:56:58 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:13:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you [b]ever[/b] sleep?

Aviator
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:15:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I never thouht about it, but I would agree that you hear what you read in your head. But don't you also *hear* what you think?
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:36:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:16:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Have you ever noticed that when you read something you hear the words in your head in [b]your[/b] own voice and with [b]your[/b] own accent?
View Quote

Nope. Can't say that. Whenever I read a text, I "hear" it clearly in the accent of the author and in voices that appear to be a propos for the text and writer.

If someone was born completely deaf, never hearing a word spoken, how do they comprehend certain word emphasizms and what do those written words sound like?
View Quote

I guess they don't. Ever hear a deaf person who learned to speak? In most cases, they are barely understandable.

Does this make sense or do I need to finally go to bed?
View Quote

No, go to bed.

View Quote
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:42:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Have you ever noticed that when you read something you hear the words in your head in [b]your[/b] own voice and with [b]your[/b] own accent?

Try it -

Now, another question -

If someone was born completely deaf, never hearing a word spoken, how do they comprehend certain word emphasizms and what do those written words sound like?

Does this make sense or do I need to finally go to bed?

View Quote

I must be weird then. When I read, I don't have any voice middleman getting in the way. It's neutral tone, and the information goes straight to my interpretation zone. [:P]
If I try to add a voice to the reading, I read a lot slower.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:45:37 AM EDT
[#6]
The voices in my head all sound like pissed off Scotsmen.
[:D]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:49:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I must be weird then. When I read, I don't have any voice middleman getting in the way. It's neutral tone, and the information goes straight to my interpretation zone. [:P]
If I try to add a voice to the reading, I read a lot slower.
View Quote

What everyone is talking about is called sub-vocalization. Typically, using sub-vocalization limits the speed of your reading because you are inserting an extra task in the path of comprehension. It is said that one cannot read faster than 400wpm if using sub-vocalization.

There are methods out there to learn to stop doing it. I'm sure a web search would turn up lots of results.

When I am reading for fun, I will somtimes deliberately sub-vocalize in the voices that I have assigned to the different characters, just to enrich the experience.

Oh, and you may be weird, I dunno. [:D]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:50:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I am like the fox, I learned to read before going to school and printed material does not "sound" to me. This is hell when I try to read out loud. I have to slow down and my pronunciation is not always correct. I know what the context and meaning of a word is, but it has no sound to me.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Do you [b]ever[/b] sleep?

Aviator
View Quote

Those who give in to the weakness of sleep shall never catch the Hun.....

Scott

[:D]

Link Posted: 1/2/2003 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Hmmm...I'm intrigued by this "sub-vocalization" thing.  I sub-vocalize, and would love to learn to stop if it will speed up my reading.  Interesting.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 10:18:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hmmm...I'm intrigued by this "sub-vocalization" thing.  I sub-vocalize, and would love to learn to stop if it will speed up my reading.  Interesting.
View Quote

You will definitely read faster without it. Do a google or Yahoo search on it and you'll get tons of info.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 11:06:11 AM EDT
[#12]
chimb, baby, if you love to read---DO NOT LEARN TO READ WITHOUT SUB_VOCALIZATION!!!! I began reading a 490 page book this morning, I will finish it tonight. My reading speed is beyond belief and it gets expensive.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 11:53:30 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm not concerned by the voices in my head. But the voices in [b]your[/b] head really worry me!
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:17:29 PM EDT
[#14]
The voice in my head sounds like John Madden.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
chimb, baby, if you love to read---DO NOT LEARN TO READ WITHOUT SUB_VOCALIZATION!!!! I began reading a 490 page book this morning, I will finish it tonight. My reading speed is beyond belief and it gets expensive.
View Quote

That is freakin' amazing.  I've got stacks of books I need to get through.  About how many hours does that take?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top