Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2003 2:44:38 AM EDT
I randomly thought about this, looking for an answer. Meant to ask my friends but always forgot.

Whenever I go down to the states and visit bars, there is ice in the urinals.

They dont do this in Alaska.

Is there some regional difference here?  You're not supposed to dispose of ice in sinks in CA?  Is it considered classy to make sure your customers' pee is ice cold bfore it gets flushed into the sewers?

Just wondering if there's a reason why they do that.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 2:46:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I have never seen this pratice. Enlighten me please as to what you are speaking of. I go to the urinal, and there are sometimes the urinal patties, but never seen any ice. I would think if it were a disposal thing you would use the toilet, or just throw it outside and let it melt.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 2:49:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I know.  But all the bars in SF I went to had freaking ice cubes in the urinal. WHY?
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 2:49:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 2:52:05 AM EDT
[#4]
COME ON!  If anyone knows, please tell me.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 2:55:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
When you urinate - you melt the ice - drunk people find this amusing and tend to piss in the urinal instead of the floor or wall.

PSYOPS.
View Quote

Seems like a good reason to me.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 2:56:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
COME ON!  If anyone knows, please tell me.
View Quote

i think what the man above you said sounded legitamate. I have never noticed this either. Then again, I've been to SF only twice.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 2:59:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
When you urinate - you melt the ice - drunk people find this amusing and tend to piss in the urinal instead of the floor or wall.

PSYOPS.
View Quote

Makes me want to go pee on ice...
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:01:24 AM EDT
[#8]
He was just joking.  Who is tempted to piss on the walls unless there's ice they can watch melt under their stream? That's the dumbest thing I've heard of.  Most likely explanation is that it's just a place to dump ice from consumed drinks, but why dont they use the sink?
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:19:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:24:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I've gotta tell ya . . . in all of my years, I have NEVER seen ice in a urinal.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:27:46 AM EDT
[#11]
The only place I've seen this done was the infamous (now awpsaiyo), "Starz" club here in Tongduchon, Korea (For those of you who have been there. Yes, it is no more. Sept 11th and Prostitution scandals have changed this town quite a bit).

When you pile ice in a sink, you have to waste hot water to get rid of it (assuming you have hot water coming from the tap). If you stor beer bottles on ice, you often dispose of large quantities of ice at a time. Troughs and urinals have greater capacity without limiting their primary use. Yes, drunks are amused when they get to melt the ice. Yes, drunks at Starz were the type to be tempted to piss on floors, walls, etc. unless they could be otherwise amused.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:40:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:46:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
the bar i worked at we would dump it in so the dumb people that didnt flush it wouldnt stink up the place. as the ice mealts it washes out the piss .
View Quote

Indeed - I had forgotten about that benefit!
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:55:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
the bar i worked at we would dump it in so the dumb people that didnt flush it wouldnt stink up the place. as the ice mealts it washes out the piss .
View Quote

We have a winner. This is in fact the reason why. How many of you, when drunk, actually flush the urinal?

Aviator
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:05:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

We have a winner. This is in fact the reason why. How many of you, when drunk, actually flush the urinal?

Aviator
View Quote

I think the trough at Starz had constantly trickling water - though no doubt the ice did help a lot - especially at peak times.

In terms of smell avoidance, it seems more effective and cheaper than the urinal cakes. C'mon Alaska - you are behind the times!
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:14:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Behind the times and how.  An environmentalist said in disgust "Alaska is a great place to go if you want to know how people in the 19th century thought!"

Dumb SOB didnt realize that was a compliment.

But the auto-flush function sounds reasonable. Thanks, I couldn't have figured it out on my own.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:14:20 AM EDT
[#17]
I thought that's where you got extra ice for your drink, you mean those are urinals?

I think I'm gonna be sick.

McBalming
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:23:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Aviator
View Quote

They need to do this at my work. You would think that engineers would flush the toilet.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:51:42 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm suggesting to my management that we start putting ice in the urinals... I still just want to pee on ice to see it melt... what great entertainment for a drunk!
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:54:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm suggesting to my management that we start putting ice in the urinals... I still just want to pee on ice to see it melt... what great entertainment for a drunk!
View Quote

I don't think you would need to be drunk to enjoy that, but neither would I for that matter.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:14:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Man, you get to be drunk at work?!? I had a job like that once...God I miss that job. No really, it was one partying place!![<]:)]

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:20:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:21:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Shouldn’t the drinker have a choice anymore?

Strait up or Piss on the rocks, shaken not stirred? [:D]

THISISME

Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:32:38 AM EDT
[#24]
thats not ice. its frozen piss cubes. are they yellowish in color? when the temperature drops, that tends to happen in places like AK and such.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:46:13 AM EDT
[#25]
It makes the urinal cakes taste better.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:09:24 AM EDT
[#26]
It is for me to cool off my dick, and too keep it out of the piss water.  That or to keep the smell down.  You gwt 1000 drunk people pissing and not flushing it tends to start to stink.  The ice will lower the temp of your wiz also reducing the temperature and preventing the warm steaming pee cloud from floating around.  You know what i am talking about- when you eat somthing that affects your wiz smell-sugar crisp cereal seems to do it for me...
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:09:31 AM EDT
[#27]

I about froze my pee pee off in a Brownsville, Texas Ice House 2 years ago running into this practice. I complained to the bartender, but she just Laughed   [shrug]  
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:19:14 AM EDT
[#28]
What are these "urinal cakes" you guys are talking about?  The only thing I've seen are those disgusting tasting breath mints that are to big to fit in my mouth.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:26:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:27:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Aviator
View Quote

They need to do this at my work. You would think that engineers would flush the toilet.
View Quote

Engineers remember to flush the toilet???

Hell, it's amazing when they remember to flush their fly's
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:50:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:00:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What are these "urinal cakes" you guys are talking about?  The only thing I've seen are those disgusting tasting breath mints that are to big to fit in my mouth.
View Quote

You're not supposed to put it in your mouth!

You just lick it a little, and leave the rest for the next guy. C'mon, man, show a little etiquette.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:08:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
...when you eat somthing that affects your wiz smell-sugar crisp cereal seems to do it for me...
View Quote

[size=5][red]HAHAHA[/red][/size=5]  Me too!  Everytime I get to enjoy a big bowl of Super Golden Crisp, I get the pleasant aroma again when I pee.  My wife even noticed it one time!  She got a good laugh out of that!

Aspharagus does it for some folks.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:11:11 AM EDT
[#34]
I've only seen this in beer bars.  I thought ice was put there to cool the urine before it was recycled and sold as draft beer.  I only drink out of a can or bottle.

Shootist
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:30:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Smell....ice keep the bacteria level down..
cheaper than those big mints
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:35:36 AM EDT
[#36]
drunk or not, i never flush (engineer) and routinely piss all over the public/restaurant/bar urinals and toilets to help motivate the people that clean them to get a better job.......
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:42:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
drunk or not, i never flush (engineer) and routinely piss all over the public/restaurant/bar urinals and toilets to help motivate the people that clean them to get a better job.......
View Quote

So that's who's been doing it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 8:56:20 AM EDT
[#38]
PLEASE DO NOT EAT THE LARGE WHITE MINTS!

Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:01:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Someone said it, it keeps the smell down. You'll notice that bars that do this trick don't have a pee smelling problem.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:37:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You just lick it a little, and leave the rest for the next guy. C'mon, man, show a little etiquette.
View Quote

Dude, it has nothing to do with etiquette.  It has to do with hygine.  I'm not going to lick something that someone else might have already licked.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:56:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Dude, it has nothing to do with etiquette.  It has to do with hygine.  I'm not going to lick something that someone else might have already licked.
View Quote

But, dude, if you don't lick it, the hairs may build up...
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 10:05:48 AM EDT
[#42]
We do it out here. If we have a party at a hall in the winter time, we dump the ice in the pisser to prevent more ice forming outside by the walkways but the other reason is because the mens pisser used in most halls don't have toilet bowls for urininating only defecating. They have this long, shaped kind like a half sausage for peeing.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 10:15:07 AM EDT
[#43]
[b]Havent ANY OF YOU HEARD SAM KINISONS BIT ON THIS TOPIC???[/b]

HE said:

"What is the deal with Ice in the pee troughs. I bet I know. There is some fag at the end of the drain line with his mouth open saying "OH YEAH!!!!! THIS IS MY DREAM COME TRUE!!!!! YEAH!!!!"

I just about puked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top