Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2003 10:57:09 PM EDT
On our ride out to my folks today in our '80 K5 Blazer w/ 220,000 mi (still gets 18 mpg on the highway too) on it that we've had since '84, the topic came up that we'd probably never be able to part with "old reliable", so that's the question, how many of you have an old rig that you'll probably never be able to part with and how long have you had it?

Kinda like my old 1911, lotsa things would go before that,

Just a new year's thought. [:)]
JJ

Link Posted: 1/1/2003 11:13:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a 1978 CJ-5 10 years ago, took it down to the frame, rebuilt/replaced what was needed & put a fiberglass body on it. It has over 155,000 miles on it & it's still running strong.
I don't imagine I will ever part with it, too much fun to drive!!!

ColtShorty©

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."

Link Posted: 1/1/2003 11:24:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a 1990 S-10 Blazer with 140,000 on it,it's in the shop now for the first time to get a few new gaskets.

For now I get to ride around in my wife's little car[:(]I want my truck back.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 11:25:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, 7 of them.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 11:27:41 PM EDT
[#4]
'85 Jeep CJ7, bought 13 years ago, and it will never leave the family!
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:22:10 AM EDT
[#5]
My over 20 year-old full-size van.  I've spent way too much time getting it setup like I want it.  It's a straight drive, which is almost impossible to find now in a full-size work vehicle.  It's got a limited slip differential, so it drives better in the snow than many (most?) front-wheel drive cars.  It has a pair of ambulance alternators and a couple of inverters, so I can run whatever 12V and most 120V things that I need.  I've got shelves setup on both sides of the back, and I have room for more than enough tools and parts.  I've got the most comfortable driver's seat ever put into a car.  It's leather and came-out of a wrecked custom van.  There's a vent on top so it doesn't get nearly as hot in the summer.  Also, I've got a small desk in the back with good lighting.  The two large gas tanks are very nice.  I bought steel bumpers and a steel grill from work to put on it.  I have air shocks on all four wheels, so I can set the ride height I need on the fly.  About the only thing I wish it had that it doesn't was four-wheel drive and a diesel engine.  Too bad it doesn't run and it's going to cost more than it's worth to fix!  It keeps eating clutches.  I can't justify the money for a new transmission right now.z
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:25:21 AM EDT
[#6]
With my Jeep, I will be willing that to someone in my family with a stipulation that they can not sell it. Wonder how much they will hate me?
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:41:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Exactly what we were talking about, you put so much into getting a rig like that the way you want and then for some strange reason everything seems to work for the most part when you need it and voila! you've got a keeper, and for what new trucks go for nowadays I can sure do alot of work to the ol gal. parts are easy to find too...
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 2:37:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a 76 Chevy Laguna S3 that I said I'd never part with. The Army sent me on a free trip and I knew it would set for 3 years so I sold it to my cousin. I've regreted it ever since.

My 79 CJ7 has been in the family since it was new. I've relaced the frame, installed a glass tub, locked and regeared the axles, did some small engine upgrades, etc. This one will NEVER be parked in someone elses driveway.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 2:41:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I was thinking about the cost of a NEW 4X4 truck with the amenities that I want, then I thought about paying off my house in 6 years. The price is about the same. I don't think I could do a new one!
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:35:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Not me, when I was young I drove crap, junk, whatever. No $$, couldn't afford the insurance, ect. 3-4 years is about as long as I keep anything.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:41:34 AM EDT
[#11]
waldo, you've SEEN my '89 s-10! aka "the rolling junkyard".

lessee...'85 citation, '85 jetta, '85 fiero, '90 cherokee, '91 citation.

yup...it's safe to say i have a gard time getting rid of stuff.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:42:33 AM EDT
[#12]
69 3/4 ton Chevy long bed fleet side truck that I am prepping for paint. 89,000 original miles 350cu engine, 400T Trans.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:47:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Had a 1978 Cadillac Seville I bought in December 1977.  Colonial yellow paint, leather and vinyl top.  Called her "Moon Pie" cause she looked like a banana moonpie.  Best damn automobile.  Kept it 22 years and 312,000 miles and that Caddy just kept on working.  Everything.  Even the 8-track.  Finally Miz Arock convinced me to give her to the lady who helps with our kids.  One month later Moon Pie saved the lady's life when another driver ran a red light and t-boned her.  Officer at the scene said our friend would have been dead if she had been driving another car.  That 4600 pound sweetheart had it till the end.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:59:27 AM EDT
[#14]
We have a 1981 Mercedes Benz 240D with manny tranny that we will likely never get rid of.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:07:39 AM EDT
[#15]
1966 F-100 Fleetside Pickup, 37 years old.  I got it back in 1989 and the stories I could tell would waste entirely too much bandwith.

McBalming
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:08:42 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a '67 Firebird I plan on being buried in.[:)]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:35:06 AM EDT
[#17]
A 1978 Chevy heavy half pickup. It was the family truck after Dad died in 1993. No way they would let me sell it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:04:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
lessee...'85 citation, '85 jetta, '85 fiero, '90 cherokee, '91 citation.
View Quote

91 Citation[>:/] 85 was the last year they made that one [:)] Unless your talking about a camper[;D]

I had an 85, probably the best car I ever had. I would have like to post that it was the car I would not part with, but one day I came home from work and found that Mom decided to have it and my 80 Chevy p/u hauled off to the scrap yard [>Q] Also was done without too much emphasis on removing the tools and new parts what were in them.  The car I didn't want to part with for a couple reasons. I liked that car for a few reasons. 1-it was the best thing I had in the snow, 2-My grandfather gave it to me.  we were going to do some body work on it, but we lost him 2 weeks later. 3- I had the car through highschool, alot of cool memories were born in that car. I used to put 20-25k miles a year on it.. but anyway..... it is no longer

Now I have an 85 BMW 325e, It has 186k miles on it, I don't see myself giving that up too easy.  I planned on trading it on an s10, but when summer comes around, I kinda like opening up the sun roof and taking long rides (to the range) best of all its getting 26mpg avg hwy/city mixed
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:06:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A 1978 Chevy heavy half pickup. It was the family truck after Dad died in 1993. No way they would let me sell it.
View Quote

I had a section chief in the ARMY that had one. It was a great truck. That is what we named his HUMV
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:07:02 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a Hyundai Excel that I will probably keep forever, just because no one will buy it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:07:54 AM EDT
[#21]
1990 Chevy/4.3ltr/standard with 251,000 original miles.

Like a rock baby![:D]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:11:28 AM EDT
[#22]
My 88 RX7 Turbo II.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:11:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Where I live insurance costs are really high and garages are rare so keeping a 3rd car around makes no sense.  Had to get rid of my old '79 Lesabre (which had the famous Buick side ports) last year, even though it still worked (even the clock still kept time and the old-fashioned cruise control still worked).

GunLvr
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:11:53 AM EDT
[#24]
I still have my 85 Dodoge pick up I bought new for 8000. Amazingly it still has the original alternator, starter, front end parts, the list goes on and on. It has 148K on it. I don't drive it every day anymore, but I'd have a hard time parting with it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:11:57 AM EDT
[#25]
My 93 Jeep Wrangler just turned 10 years old according to the build date on the door frame sticker.I bought it new in Atlanta in 93 now has 129,000 miles on it with a new engine(and one new top) less than 10,000 miles ago thanks to the jiffy lube folks blowin up the old one, otherwise It would be pretty much all original. The Wrangler replaced a 78 CJ5 Golden Eagle rust overtook and I just couldnt afford to re-body and overhaul.I have taken good care of it over the years and with good wash/cleanup it still looks as good (almost) as the day it rolled off the dealers lot. Like my old truck it has been all over the country with me it has crossed the mississippi twice and seen every state east of the missisippi from Maine to Fla at least once. Not the most comfortable or speedy highway ride but worth always gets me where I am going. I dont know if Ill keep her forever but I think she'll be around still when my daughter is ready to start driving.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:25:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have a Hyundai Excel that I will probably keep forever, just because no one will buy it.
View Quote

How much do you want for it? I could use something to shoot at!!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 8:31:49 AM EDT
[#27]
1987 Chevy Cheyenne.
White.

2nd Owner....

Doubt I would ever sell it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 8:55:45 AM EDT
[#28]
My '83 Mercedes 300TD needs to go, but I've had no takers.
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=3447[/img]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 8:57:15 AM EDT
[#29]
'73 Dodge Challenger.  Right now I'm working on putting in a 408 stroker with about 480 - 500HP EFI motor it it.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:07:18 AM EDT
[#30]
1982 Chevy K10 with 30,000 miles on it.

1976 Ford Bronco with 22,000 miles on it.

Sell them?  NEVER!
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:08:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
1990 Chevy/4.3ltr/standard with 251,000 original miles.

Like a rock baby![:D]
View Quote

Ditto!  92 Chev K1500/Silverado pkg/4.3ltr/manual trans.  244,000 miles.
Maintenence items:
1 fuel pump (last winter)
1 battery
2 alternators
2 cap/rotor/wires
4 sets of tires
3 exhausts
Lots of oil changes/grease jobs/filter changes!

Edited to add:  TWO idler arms on front suspension...first replacement was defective.
Front end has YET to go out of alignment, been checked twice.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:38:26 AM EDT
[#32]
"91 Citation 85 was the last year they made that one  Unless your talking about a camper"

my mistake. the citation is an '85. the '91 is a cavalier, not a citation.

i agree. the citation, ugly as a rock (mine is a shit-brown, 4-door hatchback), was well built. it just refuses to die!
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 11:09:26 AM EDT
[#33]
1966 Chevy C10.  Grandfather bought it new, still in the family-though in storage for now.  Inline 6 & 3 on the tree, coil springs all around & wooden slat bed.  A real sweet ride.  Was set up as a work truck & always had the vatos [):)] chasing us down wanting to buy it then & there for $$$$$cash as is.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#34]
My 88 Horizon, excluding the recent problem it has operated without flaw for me since 1996. The damn thing just wont stop, through the coldest winters it got me to work and school without a complaint. Gets good gas milage too, around 30 mpg. Like my friend says "that thing has driven you to hell (reference to school) all you have to do is get back out. He told me to this at graduation. Good memories...
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:59:59 PM EDT
[#35]
My 1995 mustang GT. Its not old but I have put alot of blood, sweat and almost tears into. I broke the motor last year with 17lbs of boost on a stock bottom end. So I rebuilt her with tough rods and forged pistons...roller rockers, better heads and intake....I even rebuilt the supercharger which had a rear seal leak. Right now its running only 14 lbs of boost till I get a bigger fuel pump(lesson learned) but Im sure it will handle 17 when its tuned. I absolutely feel a sacred bond with her and Im not sure if we will ever part.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:20:44 PM EDT
[#36]
I had a 92? 93? whatever the first year they put in the new roll bars...Jeep Wrangler Islander, in that really weird blue (which they never made again). Had a hard top, AC, auto. Got in a vaugly serious wreck with it (full-sized fan smacked me, standing still, in the rear...while it was doing around 30. hit on the drivers side, not centered. The NYPD cop who got the there first was amazed that not only did I live, but I walked out..well, crawled out the passenger side..with no damage), and after it was re-straightened (drove it the hour back to my garage right after; gf was in the car with me and she was freaked but that's ok, so was I), I drove it for a while after that.

Then I got a new travelling consultant (conslutant) gig, and didn't see it for about a year...lived in rental cars. Decided (for some INSANE reason) that I needed a sedan, and sold it.

Dumbest thing I ever did in my life, so far. I loved that jeep. It just rocked. With it's 4.0L, it could trash a 'stang to 40mph, even with an auto. It could go damn near everywhere, and once I yanked the back seat, it could carry almost anything.

Anyway, I recently bought a new 2002 jeep, some 7 months ago by now.

can't find my pic of it...but, well, I don't plan on junking it anytime soon. At all. It's too perfect for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top