Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2003 6:42:47 PM EDT
Well Christmas has come and gone and this New Years day I thought that I would pick up my pipe. I have been smoking a pipe for over 10 years now.

I started after looking at several pictures from the civil war and noticed the large number of soldiers who smoked pipes.

My first pipe was a Stanwell, made in Denmark.  The man I bought it from tought me how to set the draw , and how to break the pipe in and then after it is properly broken in how to smoke it at the right temperature. He also instructed me to only smoke one type of tobacco from each pipe so as not to ruin the taste.

A truly enjoyable experience. I have smoked all kinds of tobacco's.  From Aeromatics to the harshest straight Cavendish.

Smoking a pipe makes the whole house smell good.

Any other pipe smokers out there??
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I love the smell of pipes, but I don't like smoking them.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 6:50:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#3]
You know, ever since I gave up smoking cigarettes, I thought about going to cigars or a pipe.  I hate cigars but have been a little lazy lately.  I did not realize there was that much involved in smoking a pipe though.  Looks like i will have to head to the smoke shop next week

Keving67
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 6:52:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I do!

Pipe is one of the few kinds of smoking that most people actually aren't repulsed by. It smells good.

Personally, i'm happy with a Meerchaum lined Dr. Grabow and some Borkum Riff. I can't justify the high price on some of these pipes. I'm sure they are worth every penny, but i'd rather put the cash towards ammo or new toys.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 6:56:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I do, except I probably do it "wrong;" afterall, I smoke a corncob pipe!
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:00:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My first pipe was a Stanwell, made in Denmark.  
View Quote

I've got two Stanwell's, a Georg Jensen and a Royal Copenhagen - all from Denmark as well. Don't smoke them very often, but I do have some awesome tobacco I bought in Copenhagen this summer.

Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:05:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I enjoy Good Cigars mostly, but I smoke a pipe on occasion. The problem I have with pipes is they project the smoke to the roof of your mouth. It gets pretty hot and burns out your taste buds. To each there own I guess[:D]

By the way I inherited my pipe from my Grand father. Its a Whitehall[;)]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:06:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:09:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought all my pipes right after I started Smoking.

At this time I have my original Stanwell. A Charatan made in London, and my favorite is my Peterson, which is made in Ireland.  

I have settled with a Black and Gold mild Cavendish for the Peterson, a very nice smooth Black Cherry for the Charatan, and my Original Stanwell I smoke anything new through. Just to see if I like it.

Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:11:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I love smoking a long clay tavern pipe when I'm away at Revolutionary War or War of 1812 reenactments or doing personal interpretation for the public as a Redcoat soldier at local national parks, such as Concord North Bridge here in MA. Smoking a clay pipe is about the last type of smoking one can do in public, right in front of the public, without the anti-smoking jihadists getting their knickers knotted up. Lighting the pipe with a flint, steel and charcloth is half the fun- the looks one gets from people are worth the trouble it takes to get the pipe lit!

BTW to clean out these clay pipes, I just put them in a campfire among the coals. Next morning, the old ash and residue are all burned out, and the pipe is almost like new again.

I smoke pipes about 5-10 times a year. Not at home- She Who Must be Obeyed is more anti-smoking than she is anti-gun! [:D]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:16:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I used to, but it's just so much trouble.  Too much of a learning curve.  So now, I'm a big fan of fine cigars.  My favorite is the Oliva 'O' maduro.  Mmmm.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:26:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I like a good cigar. I prefer Dunhill for the smoothness, I like the Romarus and Tabarus. I heard they stopped making those.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top