Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2003 6:26:21 PM EDT
Just curious what your thoughts are. We had Leiberman in 2000 and now John Edwards in 2004 running for the Senate and a Presidential bid.

Why is this not made a big deal especially in the debates. I would love to hear someone ask these guys "So you are running for the Senate and the Presidency, Which job do you really want?"

I understand if they are in an office but running for two offices simultaniously should not be allowed.

The one thing I respect Bob Dole for is when he ran for President he dropped out of the Senate. I wish more pols would do that.

Anyway what is your opinion?
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 6:37:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Common sense says no, because what if they win both elections?
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 6:52:19 PM EDT
[#2]
In Massachusetts it is not permitted to run for two state governing positions simultaneously.  It would be permitted to run for, say, governor and US Senator at the same time.

For myself, I think that you should be able to run for at least 53 offices simultaneously, and that your opponents should have the opportunity to comment on this as much as possible.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:09:35 PM EDT
[#3]
In Texas that's called the "Johnson Amendment".  The professional pols had to pass an amendment to Texas' State Constitution back in 1959 to allow the rat-bastard Lyndon Johnson to maintain his US Senate seat while he ran for VP on JFK's ticket.  My personal belief is an elected official should have to resign an elected office in order to run for any other elected office.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:14:16 PM EDT
[#4]
No.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:19:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No.
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:22:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:23:25 AM EDT
[#7]
It certainly does create a strange set of circumstances and possibilities. I certainly think it's a bad idea
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 2:53:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I would think that the lack of confidence would cause voter doubt. I mean, if you thought you were going to win one office, would you run for the other just for bragging rights?
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:50:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Hell no.  People like John Edwards remind me of greedy buzzards circling a carcass.  And that prick is a trial lawyer to boot.  Don't get me going... [pissed]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:00:31 AM EDT
[#10]
No - I don't think anyone should be allowed to run for conflicting offices at the same time. And I don't think dead people should be allowed to run either. I don't mean that jokingly either. I mean - if someone dies, you appoint someone else, and reprint the daggum ballots.

To appoint someone to an office that has just had an election is a travesty that mocks the very core of a republic. (There are no elected officials in a democracy, just a long string of voter referrendums.)
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:14:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Who cares/ They will do whatever they want to do, anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top