Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2003 6:12:27 PM EDT
You'd think something like this could be easily found on the web, but you'd be wrong. Anybody know what sales tax I'd pay in lake county if I bought some computer stuff while there?

BTW, anybody notice that yahoo is getting worse and worse at returning relevant results?
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:10:44 PM EDT
[#1]
It was, I believe, 6.75% when I moved happily away from Waukegan in 1993. I am sure it has gotten much higher since.

I still have family in that area. I will ask next time talk to them and post the answer her if someone else has not beaten me to it.

As to Yahoo - their search engine has always sucked. While people poo-poo Google for supposedly being anti-gun, it is still the best search engine by far. It isn't like they filter out gun sites or anything.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:20:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Just checked my Circuit City receipt on a new printer I just bought in Lake County.  The sales tax was 6.5%.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 8:06:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks. 6.5 isn't that bad, it's not too far from what I pay. Was worried it was a couple points higher.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 8:54:38 PM EDT
[#4]
...thus proving the fallability of my memory - unless Waukegan proper has it's own tax on top of the county?
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:07:25 PM EDT
[#5]
It is 6.5%, but a lot of local communities have higher, with Gurnee where Gateway and Bass Pro are at 7%. Vernon Hills, where CDW, I think is, is at 6.5%

The county now wants state approval to add a county tax of .5%, as I understand it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top