Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2003 5:04:31 PM EDT
Well I figured out that I could defrag my hardrive by booting up in safe mode and then restarting when it's done, but it was also suggested that I could run msconfig/ turn off the virus scan, defrag the hard drive and then run msconfig again. Well it didn't quite work that way. Now my computer ALWAYS boots up in "System Configuration Utility", whenever I hit run "explorer" I get "My Documents" folder. WTF? I also get a "Enter Windows Password" promt when I boot up. I just click the x and it goes away, but it's bothering me. What the hell happened to my system and how can I fix it?
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 5:15:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 5:18:56 PM EDT
[#2]
ME (I know I know, it sucks) but it's what I've got.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#3]
To get rid of the login delete all .pwl files, reboot, enter a username with a blank password, then click ok, enter, whatever. Works for win98, not sure about ME. As for the other problems, it might pay to just delete your profile and create a new one. Be sure to move any files you have in your profile folder into another folder before deleting the profile.

Hope this helps...

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 5:44:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Go back to Win98 or get Win2000.
I have no experience with Windows XP
so I'm not going to comment on that.
I went home for Christmas and had
time to tinker with my dad's
laptop running Win ME .  Lets
just say its a crap.  I don't
even know why Micro$oft came out
with such buggy OS.  I also owned
WinMe at one point but I took
it off my PC after using it
for few months.
Win98SE is more stable than ME.
But Win2000 is close to being
perfect in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 5:47:13 PM EDT
[#5]
The thing is...I don't have a profile. (I don't think) It's just my home computer, no separate logon or profiles for different people. I've never seen the Windows Password prompt until aroundthe time I installed ZoneAlarm...going ot check that out now...Thanks for the info, looking into that as well.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, what [b]Graffiti[/b] says...too.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't have a machine with WinME handy.  But I know how to stop the password prompt from coming up.  Go into Control Panel, look under Network or System.  There should a section where you can choose "Network Login" or "Normal Login."  Choose normal login, that should stop the password prompt from showing up.  I believe you have the network login now.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 8:26:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top