Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2003 4:24:33 PM EDT
Wandering around at work today,  responded to a report of Austin Fire Dept going to a car fire around lunchtime.

Upon arrival,  there is this 2001 Jeep Wrangler with smoke issuing out of the back and doors.  Fireman pretty much floods the thing from the smashed back window, putting it out.

Standing to the side is an gentleman in his 30's,  with a plastic skullcap. Turns out that's his hair melted on his head.  He does not have any eybrows either, and his face and hands are blistered to heck and gone. Some throat damage,  he inhaled a little flame. His shirt is toasted cotton, falling apart as he moves.

This gentleman was attempting to customize his hard top by putting in a headliner.  For this he's using  sheet vinyl, electric scissors run off an inverter, and spray adhesive. A LOT of Spray adhesive.

Did I mention he's inside the jeep with the windows closed? The guy was essentially sitting inside an FAE bomb when it went off. In addition, the spray can he's using and two spares cook off inside the jeep.

He managed to get out, though he wasn't very happy. No insurance either. He's the owner of a toasted/drowned laptop and set of golf clubs too.

Any ideas how much he's going to have to spend to replace the windows, paint job, entire interior, and dash wiring in a 2001 jeep, that he still owes 16K on?
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 4:29:04 PM EDT
[#1]
No insurance on a vehicle with a $16K lien on it? Dope. He's still obligated for the note, unless he wants to just default and have the bank repossess the smoldering remains. Then they'll have his gonads.

This is one advanced thinker, here. If only he had some extra-terrestrial Raelian DNA.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 5:54:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Freakin' amazing that dumbass is still alive.

As my Grandfather (a missionary) used to say "the Lord watches over fools and missionaries".  Looks like there's some truth to it, eh?

-Eric  
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 6:11:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I did something about as stoopid, but I was like 8 years old though.

I was at my uncles farm in upstate N.Y. Hanging around in the garage, 100 years od accumulated farm parts and various other junk. Makes an 8 year old very happy. Well I came across some .50 cal linked ammo, maybe 6-7 rounds. I wanted 1, couldn't take the whole thing with me, but I could hide one round on the plane ride back to So. Cal. I put them in the vise there on the bench and started pounding away on the tip of one of the bullets to try and get it to slide out of the links. Thank God my oldest cousin walks in and gives me the what for! Never did see that ammo lying around again.

Can you imagine what an exploding .50 cal round would do to an 8 year olds face?
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Unfortunately, this stupid piece of crap will probably file a law suit against Chrysler, the adhesive mfg, whoever was the mfg of the headliner material and be awarded some huge judgement. His reward for being an irresponsible moron. Since there is no free lunch we all have to pay, the jackpot for the civil court lotto has to come from somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 6:40:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Like I say, being stupid should hurt. And it sounds like this wiz will be hurt'n a long time.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 8:02:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Who was it that said "Stupidity should be painful."?
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 8:13:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Why didn't you tell me you were an ARFCOM member.  My guns weren't in the car.  We could have gone to the range. [;D]

[pyro]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 10:53:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top