Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2003 3:49:51 PM EDT
So I was making some chili this afternoon and realized that I was cutting my vegetables with my pocket knife.  I don't know if this is the most sanitary thing to do, and I'm not sure how long I've done it.  I guess I'm just used to pulling it out whenever I need a knife. Is this normal and do other people do this as well?

edited for really bad grammer.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 3:53:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I use my knife for anything and everything. I do clean it before using it on food though. I think it's perfectly normal.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 3:57:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 4:00:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup. My Emerson CQC7 sees use for any old thing that needs cutting, including the steak dinner we had at the BRC house where there were no other knives.

J.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#4]
man i thought i was the only one who did.i use mine because it's usually the sharpest knife in the house.i use mine to cut vegies and trim steaks.i have also used it to cut steaks in restrants.i really needed it at my wifes brothers house at christmas to cut the prime rib.his knives are so dull.guess i should buy him some for my own safety.i always clean mine before i use it and after if i can.havent gotten sick yet as far as i can tell anyway..
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 4:50:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Its good to know that I'm not alone in the cutting up of vegetables.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 4:52:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Fruit,veggies, liqour bottle seals, beer boxes, egg rolls @ chinese food restaurant, you name it. Stone behind the bar, wash knife in sanitizer after each use when I'm at work.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 4:59:23 PM EDT
[#7]
QuietShootr and I cut our wedding cake with a CQC7 and I have a pink Spyderco that I carry...it slices and dices (oh, and its pretty, too!)  Whatever we are carrying is always the sharpest thing in the house, so why not use them in the kitchen?
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, and on pizza too.

CMOS [:)]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:09:41 PM EDT
[#9]
The college I just graduated from last week, the food was pretty bad from time to time, and so I used to cut the food with my knife...used to freak out the crunchy types...I was over it...
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:12:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:16:26 PM EDT
[#12]
My Kershaw Ken Onion chive makes short work of chives.[%|]

-T.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:29:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I too use it for everything.  I don't bother to "clean" it except for wiping it off after I use it, so as to not pollute the sheath.  I figure the heat used to cook stuff has a purpose.  [BD]
View Quote

Yup. I just use it to cut everything, sometimes people say "ewww." This reminds me of going to my mom's liberal family's Christmas. They were trying to open packages, and none of the pansies carried pocket knives. Somebody said "anyone have a pocket knife?" and I hand them my Buck Diamondback (the smaller version) and someone else says "that's no pocket knife"....jackasses. Well it's a straightblade so that might something to do with it. Am I the only person who uses a $15 Wal*Mart knife? I've had it for a little over two years and it hasn't failed me yet, and I've yet to cut myself with it. By the way, I've been eyeing those CRKT M-16 knives. How much do they go for? Or, how much do other good folders go for? *sorry for hijack*
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I've carried a Benchmade 975SBT everyday for about 6 years. I use it to cut anything non-metallic, including my food. I try to wash the blade with soap and water after use. Sometimes I pull it out and the blade's covered in dust and grit. I'll wipe it on my shirt and slice up my food. Sometimes trying to get cheese off of the blade is a pain. If I have access to real utensils, I use them. At lunch time I'm always using the blade.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:47:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I usually have a few on me...if it wasn't for girls I wouldn't even have kitchen knifes...
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:51:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I use a pocket knife for my vegetables at times. As far as sanitary concerns go, I would think that cooking it would take care of that. Who knows, I might just be sick!
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 8:20:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I was lucky enough to get my hands on one of the ARFCOM Crkt knives. Very nice they are.

-T.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Am I the only person who uses a $15 Wal*Mart knife?
View Quote

Must be...

Edit: Or quotes themselves [;D]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 8:28:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Well of course.  Why else would we carry them around all the time?  And as an added bonus, it's great fun to use it around friends for general food use, as must of them start wondering "how well did he clean that after he field-dressed his last deer...?".  [8D]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 8:59:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Vegetables?  My father yelled at me the one time I did that.  It's rude.  Cutting fruit, on the other hand, is perfectly acceptable.  I don't know why that is.  That's just the rules I was taught.z

Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:18:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Nope!
that is what my pro cooking knives I take to work every day are for! My Wustof 10 inch takes care of all them veggies.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:32:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I too use it for everything.  I don't bother to "clean" it except for wiping it off after I use it, so as to not pollute the sheath.  I figure the heat used to cook stuff has a purpose.  [BD]
View Quote

ditto

Use it for absolutely everything. In fact, had to wipe deer guts off of it to cut a steak... that one called for more than the normal "spit and two fingers" wipe down.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:12:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Of course.  The only thing I don't use it on is stuff likely to 'quickly' dull the edge.  I'm never without it, a habit from childhood.

Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:13:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Yeah, I use mine for fruits like apples and pears.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:33:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Sniper Wolfe, I have a CRKT M16-Z Great knife, IIRC I got mine on ebay for about $35.00.
Before I got the CRKT I carried a Gerber LST for over a decade.

As for veggies in the kitchen, I use one of these [img]http://www.cutco.com/main/images/knife_frenchchef.jpg[/img]

Cutco makes [b]GREAT[/b] kitchen knives, and they are made in the USA!
[url]www.cutco.com[/url]

echo6
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:41:28 AM EDT
[#27]
I used my CRKT M16-12Z---new model zytel handles-to peel veggies for Xmas dinner....until I cut myself.....that SOB is too sharp.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:49:52 AM EDT
[#28]
I use mine for cutting everything
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 10:52:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Sniper_Wolfe, I love my CRKT M16-02.  It has a 3" blade and fits comfortably in pocket with out any discomfort.  I'd buy one again in a heartbeat if I need too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top