Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2003 2:00:27 PM EDT
I can't wait until the gubernment has all of my details in a nice database!!!

The article focuses on the fact the the information could be used to open credit accounts.  What about the fact that someone has a list of 500,000 names, addresses and SS#s to be used for extortion, etc.?

[url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,74243,00.html[/url]

EDITED TO FIX THE LINK
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 2:23:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Gomer,
Linkey no workey for me.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 2:24:56 PM EDT
[#2]
When has our government ever been a responsible custodian for anything of value? Information being way down the priority list....

money, lives, freedom...

Link Posted: 1/1/2003 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#3]
The same could be said for the private sector.  Your financial and health information is not secure anywhere.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I bet this all started by someone putting their thumbprint on their check at WalMart. Then some MARPAT camo wearing union due paying cashier yelled out some information too loud and someone heard it. It was probably all downhill from there.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 4:42:52 PM EDT
[#5]
gomer,
Thanks, linkey workey now.

Well if that just isn't fuckin' a great!  As a retired military person, I [i]think[/i] my program is managed by Tri West.  I'll have to dig through the file cabinet.  Al least they don't have my credit card #; I pay my premium once a year by check.  Guess I'll give them a call tomorrow. Who the hell am I kidding; like calling them will do any good!![:(!]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:04:25 PM EDT
[#6]
WE got a letter from Tri West 2 days ago about the theft and that they could not tell who's info was on the stolen computers.

The letter also stated that as an active duty member (retired now) who recieved health care from a civillian source within the last three (3) years it's possible our info was on the stolen computers.

The letter also goes on to say the computers contained sensitive and personal information about tricare prime members.

You can call them at 1-888-339-9378 or e-mail at [email protected]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:47:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Shrike9- I'll call 'em tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:00:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I can't understand why we haven't heard more about this on the news, etc. It can serve as a powerful example of why TIA is such a bad idea.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:24:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Very scary stuff... I always thought privacy concerns weren't handled well in the military. When they posted our PT and range scores everywhere with our names and SSN's and really didn't care I memorized the commanders and recited it to him everytime I saluted him. They came down after a few of those...

Shame that our personal information is in the hands of some criminals...
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:29:32 AM EDT
[#10]
That is great...I have had my SSN number stolen before, and it was hell tryin to get it straihtened out. It only took about a year to fix it all!
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:58:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Go here for more info [url]www.triwest.com[/url]

I called 1.888.339.9378 at 10:30 and was put on ignore (hold) for 8 minutes and then I hung up.  Seems as if the stolen info is from the Central Region.  I tried to call the region I belong to (Southwest) and was put on ignore again.  I imagine they're pretty busy right now!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top