Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2003 9:18:43 AM EDT
Been moving furniture the past few days in a cleaning frenzy with SWMBO, and today I must have lifted something the wrong way.  I can feel three distinct points of pain in my back now - one on the spine in my lower back, one right below my shoulder blade, and one off to the side of my spine in my lumbar region.

I know there are plenty of you broke down motherfeckers out there with bad backs.  I've seen you bitch about it.  Help me out here with any kind of remedy.  We aren't done moving furniture yet, and beer is just beginning to take the edge off of the pain.  It hurts to move here, folks, and yet I must continue to move furniture.

I'm being beckoned now to move a California king-sized mattress.  And the rest of the bed frame, too.  [b]For the love of all that is holy, please help![/b]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:22:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Wear a backbrace and lift with your legs, it helps.  I deliver treadmills and other fitness equipment all the time, a good backbrace helps out tremendously.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:40:32 AM EDT
[#2]
STOP LIFTING STUFF RFN!!!!
 Now to remedy it - ice on the affected ares for 24 hrs, then heat.  Naprosyn or ibuprofen, and bed rest for 48 hrs, NO MORE!  Then resume normal activites as much as possible.
 If you have tingling or numbness in the extremities, CALL YOUR DOC IMMEDIATELY!!  This means a herniated/extruded disc and is potentially serious.  Use a back brace for lifting from now on.  IM if you need help.  Ops
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Extra info:

I have been wearing a back brace.  I also [b]ALWAYS[/b] lift with my legs.

The muscles in my back are not very strong in proportion to the rest of my frame due to a drastic growth spurt in my teens - 7-8 inches in about 6 months.

Any over the counter pain killer does nothing for me - built up a tolerance to [b]everything[/b].

I do have some APAP codeine or darvoset around here that I am [b]not[/b] immune to, but I am not going to take them with alcohol in my system.  Maybe later tonight.

Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:46:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Sissy!  Just drink more beer.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:47:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

[beer]

I like you.  [;)]

Are you a [b]REAL[/b] doctor, or did you just stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 10:23:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you a [b]REAL[/b] doctor, or did you just stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?
View Quote

ROFL.  

There's nothing beer can't fix. [;D]

And no I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express, last night I slept in a gutter.[:D]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 10:30:57 AM EDT
[#7]
[b]the_reject[/b], your problem is you have to lift stuff much higher than us regular guys. Aren't you like 6'-9". LIFT LOWER!!![:D]

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 10:53:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

ROFL.  

There's nothing beer can't fix. [;D][/quote[
I agree.
[quote[And no I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express, last night I slept in a gutter.[:D]
View Quote

If beer got you there, that's all that matters.  [:D]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 10:55:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
[b]the_reject[/b], your problem is you have to lift stuff much higher than us regular guys. Aren't you like 6'-9". LIFT LOWER!!![:D]

ByteTheBullet  (-:
View Quote

6'6", last time I was measured at the doctor's office 2 years ago.

Lifting lower doesn't help, as it puts more strain on my back!  Thankfully, there isn't much more to move around...
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 11:06:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 11:33:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Oh did you miss my Sciatica Nerve Thread?? It was my BEST WHINING EVER. I took the advice of my fellow ARFCOMMERS, saw a Dr. took muscle relaxers and Anti inflammatory meds... Then someone here (I apologize to whoever told me because I cannot remember who it was) told me to make sure that I stretch a lot.

IT WORKED!

The back can go out so easily yet we always take advantage of it.

LIFT WITH YOUR LEGS
WEAR A WEIGHTLIFTING BELT

Link Posted: 1/1/2003 11:41:07 AM EDT
[#12]
You need to get laid or get some more. That's what my old man tells me when my back bothers me.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 2:24:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You need to get laid or get some more. That's what my old man tells me when my back bothers me.
View Quote

She who must be obeyed takes care of that on a very regular basis.  No worries there.  [;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top