Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2002 5:52:31 PM EDT
We recently threw out a DVD player that STB. Before I could allow it to be thrown out I sat down and took out just about every screw and several small parts and put them in a jar(***just in case***). Does anyone else do this?
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I have parts that I have forgotten what I took them from.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 5:56:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I am definitly a cannibal when it comes to electronics. you should see the pile of junk i've accumulated.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 6:01:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:38:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Used to.

I was to the point of unsoldering resisters, capacitors and such, removing motors and displays, etc.

And of course the cord was still good!

However, it got to the point that I had so much junk that I couldn’t find anything.

It became easier to go to a store and buy what I needed.

So now I just throw the whole thing away.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:43:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Before we moved in October, I had accumulated 20+ old computer towers and several plastic storage bins of various and sundry electronic parts. I had somewhere like 100 modems.

I think my wife was happier the moment I told her I was pitching most of it than she was the day I proposed to her.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:54:13 AM EDT
[#6]
What's the point? Most of the stuff is so cheap anyway, it's not worth my time to go to the trouble. Besides, how often are you actually going to break your DVD player and use parts from you last one to fix it? How do you troubleshoot? Do you have schematics?

I do this stuff for a living, on a larger scale, and I'd rather just buy a new one than mess with trying to figure out and fix a broken one.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:59:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got boxes, cans, and bags of the stuff from my own salvaging and my Dad's business, and I have thrown a pile of it out.  I still have to go to the hardware store to find fasteners that will work; in rare cases I raid my supply of aircraft hardware to fix or build something if I am in a hurry.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 10:22:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Glad to see that I'm not the only one. Like most of you I eventually toss it all out, but I think it's embeded somewhere the the male genes that we must save useless parts of broken electronics, cars, dead batteries etc. etc. etc. It's right next to the "I must fix that F'ing car" gene, and the "gotta have guns" gene. [:D]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 11:58:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 12:11:44 PM EDT
[#10]
That all makes sense if you're doing it as a business venture, or just trying to make some money on the side, but just for your own personal use, I don't think it's worth the time.

How often are you going to need a resistor or capacitor, or motor? You might save 5000 parts before you actually have the use for one of them in your own home. I guess if you're bored or extremely cheap, it give you something to do but it just seems like a big hassle. Hell, I'd rather pay $200 for a new DVD player than attempt to repair a broken one.

If I want to work then I'll go to work. I'd make more money doing it there anyway.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 12:33:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I work on various pieces of cellular infrastructure equipment for a living---Lucent stuff, at the moment---and the last thing I wanna do when I have some free time is sit down and try to figure out why some POS VCR or DVD player doesn't work. It's so cheap it's hardly worth messing with. It gives me great pleasure to throw crap like that in the trash. I ESPECIALLY love to trash old TV sets. People think I have nothing better to do than to work on their old POS televisions. I did it for a while, but now I just say "NO!"
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I work on various pieces of cellular infrastructure equipment for a living---Lucent stuff, at the moment---and the last thing I wanna do when I have some free time is sit down and try to figure out why some POS VCR or DVD player doesn't work. It's so cheap it's hardly worth messing with. It gives me great pleasure to throw crap like that in the trash. I ESPECIALLY love to trash old TV sets. People think I have nothing better to do than to work on their old POS televisions. I did it for a while, but now I just say "NO!"
View Quote

Exactly what I was trying to say...
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 12:55:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I collect old computer parts, but more for intimidation than to maybe fix them.....  If my computer is misbehaving, I show it the old modem or whatever, in a static bag... then leave with it, later I come back with the empty bag or the bag full of broken modem pieces... leave it on my monitor for awhile, and my computer behaves again....   Intimidation works better than yelling at my computer like my other family members do [:D]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 1:00:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
snip>I sat down and took out just about every screw and several small parts and put them in a jar(***just in case***). Does anyone else do this?
View Quote

Always.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 1:03:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 1:06:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We recently threw out a DVD player that STB. Before I could allow it to be thrown out I sat down and took out just about every screw and several small parts and put them in a jar(***just in case***). Does anyone else do this?
View Quote

Yes, I am also a pack rat [:)]  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top