Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2001 5:04:19 PM EDT
Sort of OT.
Just thought I would bring us back to our roots for a moment of reflection. It must have taken a hard and determined man to stand shoulder to shoulder with his "brothers in arms" against the disciplined British Army. Volley fire of .75cal musket balls must seem like a claymore on steroids firing in your face. Sure hope that we can make our changes in this country thru the ballot box.

The weapon is a Brown Bess Musket, 75cal.

[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1495478&a=11308089&p=39716094[/img]

[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1495478&a=11308089&p=39715514[/img]
Link Posted: 1/31/2001 5:06:27 PM EDT
[#1]
aim small, miss small
Link Posted: 1/31/2001 5:26:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/31/2001 5:34:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Looking at the Bayonet reminds me of a book I just read.  I've just been reading some John Jakes novels and it had some interesting parts which I didn't know.  It seems that at the Battle of Bunker's Hill (actually Breed's)  most American's didn't have bayonets.  After we held off the British 2 times, we finally ran out of ammo.  They might have held if they had bayonets which the British all had.  

It seems bayonets were a big thing back then.
Link Posted: 1/31/2001 5:50:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Osprey21,
Picked the knife up at a rendezvous near here for about $30.
I am not an authority on the Rev War but I do participate in re-enactments.
From what I have read, many British were slaughtered at Breed's Hill and it was a lack of communications that we ended up there in the first place. I was taught in school that we won the Rev War by sniping at the white crossed straps on the soldiers from behind trees with our Pa. Longrifles. Not entirely true, the musket and bayonet played a large part as you alluded to. The British did wise up and found that their scarlet coats were perfect nite camo without the straps. Not sure if this works, but could we equate a high capacity mag today to a bayonet back then. On an even playing field, that musket and cold steel is a formidable weapon.
Link Posted: 1/31/2001 7:52:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Dont let the democraps see that they might consider you hatchet evil.All of it looks great though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top