Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2002 3:03:30 PM EDT
All I've been hearing on radio and TV today, telling everybody not to shoot the sky at midnight. They don't want bullets falling on top of stuff and things.  I guess some areas have a problem with this.

Saddam sure does make it look fun, shooting from up on his balcony when he's making speeches. How funny would that be if GW did that at the White House? Seems like the VP should automatically take over if the Prez gets caught doing that.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 3:08:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 3:09:35 PM EDT
[#2]
When I was young we did it with shotguns and bird shot. We lived way out in the country.

One new years a few years ago I was at a party with a bunch of cops and they were glocking it so I let off a few with my 45. That was a bad thing to do, as we were in a city and I knew the 300 FPS rule, but I let the booze rule my actions.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 3:09:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 3:17:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Anybody shooting up in the air tonight?

NO
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 3:18:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I word: Blanks.

I took some #8 Birshot Shells and removed the Birshot. Tested them at the Range the other day and the wad flys maybe 5-15 yards before falling to the ground...It makes a small pop when it goes off. I considered loading them with confetti...But, noone would be able to see it in the dark anyways.

I need a BFA for my Rifle...which I don't have. So, that one won't be shot tonight.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 3:19:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Already been covered

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=74&t=162118&w=myTopicPop[/url]

You've got to admit.... tonight would be a great night for a 37mm parachute flare ;)
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 3:23:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone else in favor of promoting unsafe use of fiearms?

Anyone else wish to increase the ever-growing public discontent with gun owners?

Anyone else wish to make an ass of themelves?

No, thank you! [pissed]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 3:34:32 PM EDT
[#8]
sarcasm   Another reason for ballistic fingerprinting.  Every round that was found the next day could be traced to the owner.  /sarcasm
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 3:37:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm definitely not promoting this activity. Just commenting on all the publicity it's getting. [:)]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 3:37:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You've got to admit.... tonight would be a great night for a 37mm parachute flare ;)
View Quote

I used to help drop parachute flares out of KC-130Fs in the RVN with VMGR-152. I think they were something like 50,000 candlepower. A string of a dozen or so would really light things up.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 3:40:42 PM EDT
[#11]
This Falcon can take it.  I will shoot a full mag of tracers in the air tonight.  /////////////i all so live in the contry.

I'll be burning rubber,  u'll be kissing my ass.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 3:43:21 PM EDT
[#12]
That would be a rather stupid thing to do, so, NO! Here in this county they have "devices" that can hear where it's coming from. There is also a law called Shannon's Law that prohibits it. Named after a little girl that was killed by a New Years bullet that was fired into the air.
Happy New Year!
AB
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 3:59:31 PM EDT
[#13]
BAD IDEA

DON'T DO IT.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 4:08:25 PM EDT
[#14]
How popular is this in your area?
In LA, it's suppose to be really popular. In fact, it's so bad they bring in that anti-sniper radar and track the bullets back to the people who shot them.
Here is the story:
[url=http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-newyears31dec31001436,0,3373323.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dcalifornia]The story[/url]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 4:14:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How popular is this in your area?
In LA, it's suppose to be really popular. In fact, it's so bad they bring in that anti-sniper radar and track the bullets back to the people who shot them.
Here is the story:
[url=http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-newyears31dec31001436,0,3373323.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dcalifornia]The story[/url]
View Quote

How about a copy/paste job for those folks that don't have a sign-on for Pravda West.

[url=http://www.kfwb.com/news_local.asp?displayOption=&contentGUID={66DD967A-3517-45FE-8256-91729831E07B}&groupName=KFWB Front Page Local Headlines&siteGUID={3B62BF55-4A93-48E6-A45D-6A495DC423AD}]Authorities Warn Against New Year's Gun Use [/url]
LOS ANGELES (KFWB/AP) 12.31.02, 10:00a - - A rain of lead that has killed and injured dozens in years past won't be tolerated this New Year's Eve, authorities warned.
Revelers who fire guns into the air to celebrate could be charged with a felony punishable by up to three years in prison, authorities said. They have repeated their message annually.

Prosecutors also will bring murder charges against gun owners whose stray bullets kill someone, Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca said.

Last year, a woman in Watts was wounded by a stray bullet on New Year's Eve as she played with her children in her front yard. Two years ago, stray bullets killed one man and wounded five others in the county, including a 10-year-old boy.

"There's no need to fire guns in the air. Quite frankly, it's stupid," Baca said.

In certain areas, the Sheriff's Department will use a high-tech system known as the Shotspotter to pinpoint locations where bullets are fired and will send out patrols to find the shooter.

Joining Baca at the Police Academy Monday were Los Angeles Mayor James Hahn, Police Chief William Bratton, City Attorney Rocky Delgadillo, and prosecutors from the district attorney's office.

More than 50 10-officer special enforcement teams from the LAPD will be deployed on New Year's Eve to crack down on illegal gun play, officials said.

"This is my first New Year's in Los Angeles," new Police Chief William J. Bratton, formerly of New York, told the Los Angeles Times. "I'm still getting used to some of your quaint little customs, such as going to your front door and shooting your gun into the air."

Years ago, when the problem was at its peak, police officers on New Year's Eve duty would park their cruisers under bridges as midnight struck to avoid falling rounds, officials said.

The LAPD began a Gunfire Reduction Program in 1988 after New Year's Eve bullets killed one person and injured five others, including a police officer. The gunfire also damaged four squad cars.

Holiday gunfire calls have fallen in the years since, according to LAPD statistics. There were 788 such reports to city police in 1992 and 393 last year.

The issue surfaces on the Fourth of July too. In one case, a 9-year-old boy died after getting hit on July 4, 1999, while playing on his front porch with friends.

Bullets fired into the air can climb as high as two miles before plummeting to the earth at speeds of 300 to 500 feet per second - - more than fast enough to wound.

Also at the news conference were rows of schoolchildren who took part in a contest to draw posters illustrating the dangers of illegal firearm discharge.

One winner, 10-year-old Amanda Garcia, drew a crayon picture of three tombstones labeled "Mom," "Dad" and "Brother," with a crying little girl standing nearby.

On the poster Amanda had written: "Don't shoot. What goes up must come down and may kill."

"The reason I think no one should do this is because it hurts people and what if those people were important to people?" she said.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 4:15:38 PM EDT
[#16]
It'll definitely happen in my neighborhood and some drunk Hispanic will plough through my neighbor's fence...for those who remember that story.

Bradd
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 4:25:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Why??? The "air" hasnt done anything to me...........yet!

R35
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 4:25:42 PM EDT
[#18]
No [i]Outdoor[/i] shooting...

Several years back I was given a box of "Artillery Simulators"... Those were fun! Wish I still had some.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 4:40:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm taking my .50 BMG out tonite with some brown tip long range tracer and I'm going to fill the sky, like Baghdad in '91.

[size=6]Not![/size=6]

Last dumb stunt was with some fireworks, a bottle rocket, ones the  roughly size of a hotdog, came down and hit a horse giving it a fair size puncture wound. Yes, I owned up to it and offered to pay for my stupidity but the neighbor didn't make an issue of it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 4:41:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Had a neighbor a few years back that decided he wanted to point his 30-30 in the air and say he was "gonna celebrate".  I took my .45 from my holster(No, I didn't point it at him) and told him to put it away or.........

He got the point and put it away. He thanked me the next day.

If I wanna shoot someone I'll do it face to face. Not lob it in a mile away.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 4:45:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Nope
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 6:09:27 PM EDT
[#22]
75Rd drum.
75Rds of tracers.
1 AK-47
and
The Bump Method...
All ready to go ath the moment my watch hits 0:00. [}:D]

Just kidding.  I live in the city now, plus I don't have any tracers, and by then I'll be too drunk to bump anything, gun or flesh. [}:(]

Have a great New Years party and keep your firearms holstered, but let the ladies see your gun. [:P]

BISHOP
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 6:18:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm gonna shoot my tater cannon.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 7:21:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Shooting up in the air?
With all the planes in mid-flight, probably SOMEWHERE there's a junkie in the tail-section with the lock switched to "occupied".   [;D]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 8:50:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Well we aints too smart here in Oklahoma but i fiqures you could prolly get the same kind of sound just shooting inta the ground!

Couarse you might kill a ground squirel or two!

Bob  [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top