Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2002 10:40:48 AM EDT
Does anyone have any recommendations for a small monocular for general hunting / viewing use? I want something small and light weight - I've tried some of the small binoculars on the market but have found them to be be not as useful as I'd like them to be (hard to get a decent view through them).    
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 11:53:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Tasco, etc. makes some 10 & 12 power mono's. I bought a couple for Christmas presents & they were well received.

IMO, the top line brands (Zeiss, etc.) aren't worth the extra bucks.

I'd go to some web sites & see what's available. Most allow ordering from the mfgr.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 5:53:02 AM EDT
[#2]
There aren’t many good monoculars out there.

IMHO the Tasco’s are OK for a quick peek at something (and I have a couple), but at about $20 each, you not going to get much and you shouldn’t expect to.  Also, their extremely short eye relief gives me problems since I wear glasses.  

I have a 5 X 10 Zeiss monocular which I really like, but I’m pretty sure it’s smaller than what you want.  It’s about the size of a fat fountain pen and obviously that 10 MM objective doesn’t gather much light.

I’ve never used the larger Zeiss monoculars, but they do seem awfully expensive for what you get.

Incidentally, I just got a small 10 X 25 Minox roofprism binocular from SWFA, which I’m very happy with (though it is apparently missing two of the four lens caps).  

These retail for about $150.  SWFA has dealer samples for $99 at [url]www.samplelist.com/[/url], which is what I got (hence the missing lens caps).  For the price, it is excellent.  

Note that they just changed the above website and it is confusing.  If you decide to check it out, do not click the “manufacturer” button or you’ll only get 10 selections.  Rather, click the “binoculars” button.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top