Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2002 6:40:11 AM EDT
I have an old magazine from the early 80's (SWAT, Gung Ho, something like that) lying around somewhere that has an article on the Rhino gas system for the AR15. It basically made the AR a gas piston (cleaner) operated weapon, as opposed to direct impingement (dirtier). Anyone know much about them? Where can I find one now? For what price?    
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 7:08:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I do, i'm 39, i remember in the early 80's the big one page adds in shot gun news from spring field armory, m60's nib $2000 and they were also making ar15 and m16's. with the option of the rino gas system on them.
some times i feel like crying, we had it so good back then, but then theres some realy need shit out now.

AREA51 GUNS/THE ARMS ROOM
PAHRUMP, NV 89048
775-751-2254 PST
FFL/SOT2
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 7:20:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I, too, remember the ads. But I never saw one in person.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 10:57:08 AM EDT
[#3]
BTT
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#4]
ABNAK,

Are you talking about this system?

[url]www.defensereview.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=258[/url]

--LS
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 11:24:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't mean to hijack the thread.
But, since you mentioned the magazine Gung Ho.

I have couple of these mags somewhere in storage.
Does anyone know how long they were in publication and about how many were published?
Weren't they a Bi-monthly?
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 11:29:00 AM EDT
[#6]
At first I thought you said [b]gun ho[/b] so I continued reading hoping that you posted pics![;)]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 11:31:08 AM EDT
[#7]
ABNAK the Rhino is no longer available. But dont worry I happen to know that someone is working on a new gas piston AR right now. And yes I have seen a prototype and yes it does work.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#8]
longshot va
   That isn't the specific one I was talking about, but basically the same. I'm intrigued that this is possibly going to be available. IIRC the original Rhino required modification to the front sight to allow a piston of some sort to enter from the rear and be blown back into a "connecting arm" attached to the bolt carrier. Kurt's Kustom said months ago that they had something in the works along these lines. That would solve one of the greatest problems inherent with the AR's design. Maybe a tad heavier, but infinitely more reliable.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 11:38:31 AM EDT
[#9]
theFNG
   C'mon, man! Spit it out! Who is working on the project you mentioned, how far from release, cost, etc. The suspense is killing me!
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 12:01:42 PM EDT
[#10]
A company called Advanced Device Design is working on a system called RROC that does away with the gas tube system.
There was an article about it in the Jan 2003 issue of Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement.
And there are plans for civilian release.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top