Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2002 5:21:51 PM EDT
With the new scanning machines, and all the warnings about not locking your checked baggage in case "they" see something "suspicious" and decide your luggage needs to be hand searched without you being present, will theft of personal belongings become more common? Of course it doesn't take much brains to not put something valuable in your luggage but that's not the point. In years past several of the TV news magzines have done stories about baggage theft, complete with hidden camera footage. What's to make people think their baggage will be any safer now? Thoughts?
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:33:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I agree and would rather drive than ever fly noa days.

BTW, maybe on Saturday...wil know more later on in the week.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got back from trip overseas.  I heard about keeping the bag unlocked so security personnel can open the baggage during search.  I also heard this new bomb detection device gives false alarm when you have chocolate, cheese, peanut, etc.  I had chocolate and peanut butter in my suitcase but my locked suitcase was not tampered.  If you are worried, and assuming you have a cloth bag with zippers, use zip-tie to lock your bag.  If they need to open the bag, they can simply cut the zip tie.  You also know that your bag was tampered.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 6:47:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 6:51:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Security is definitely tougher now.  I had to take off my shoes and put them through the x-ray machine.  Also USDA (Dept of Agriculture?) lady was walking around with her little Beagle sniffing at everyone's bags.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:19:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 11:25:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to get scared when I visited San Jose airport.  I used my carry-on bag for trips down to the range.  And those guys at the San Jose airport like to swab my bag to test for drugs? or explosives?  They never said anything so I guess its okay.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 12:01:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Is it even possible to fly with guns anymore these days?  This kind of rules out the locked container rule they used to have.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 1:09:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I think you need to declare it at the time of check in.  If I remember correctly, airline makes the final decision whether it allows transport of gun or not.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 3:22:58 AM EDT
[#9]
If you have to fly, ship your luggage via UPS ahead of time. We've done this with our ski gear in the past.
There was an article in the Rifleman? about shipping guns, you can carry a max of 5 in a secure case, must be declared & inspected by airline agent who, most likely has never seen a gun up close, much less handled one.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 4:34:35 AM EDT
[#10]
You guys really think those 10 cent locks on luggage prevent theft?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top