Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:20:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Does that "line" usually work for you?

You're suspect.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:21:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:21:22 AM EDT
[#3]
You should just lock this now, and send yourself an IM that chastises you for this post, before this thread gets out of control.

[:D]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:21:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I dont wanna know...
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:24:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You should just lock this now, and send yourself an IM that chastises you for this post, before this thread gets out of control.

View Quote

bad Moderator, bad bad.

Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:28:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:34:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There is a SoCal band called the Butthole Surfers.
View Quote

They have been around since at least the mid-80's!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:49:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Band Members

Paul Leary - guitar
King Coffey - drums
Gibby Haynes - vocals

[img]http://www.thegauntlet.com/pix/buttholesurfers2.jpg[/img]

Butthole Surfers were founded in 1981 by Leary and singer Gibby Haynes, who, at the time, were both students at Trinity University in San Antonio, Texas. Haynes had grown up in Dallas (where his father hosted a popular children's TV show), and was a star accounting and economics student. Leary, a native of San Antonio, had been playing guitar since the age of five, and was studying art and finance (in which he almost earned a masters degree). Despite such seemingly straight-laced academic interests, the two were definite square pegs in a round-hole world.

All you Texas boys must be proud.[:D]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:55:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There is a SoCal band called the Butthole Surfers.
View Quote

LT! You're living in the home of the Buttholes AND YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW IT! Gibby Haynes and gang are from Dallas' Deep Ellum. Used to hear them play Club Clearview, Club Da-Da and other cheap dives all the time.  (BTW Miz Arock, also known as She Who Better Be Obeyed, and I met at Da-Da back then.  Never know what trouble you can get into.  Or as another friend says, "Let's go get scared".)

BUT OH MY GOD THIS BRINGS BACK STRANGE MEMORIES.  Back in the late 1950's and 1960's, Gibby's father had a local TV show for kids called Mr. Peppermint.  It was sooo queer.  Candy-striped blazer and smarmy smile.  You wouldn't let your kid CLOSE to anybody like that today, but that was then.

For reference Dallas also had another kids' show personality called Iggy Twerp that had a harder edge.  Iggy was sorta' like Ernie Kovacs put in a day-care.  Iggy was probably the reason some of the seminal punk bands came out of Dallas in the 1960's and 70's.

But I digress.  Half of Gibby's attraction is he's so out-of-character with his father.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:59:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I recently heard of this, but cannot imagine what it would consist of.  Only horrible things come to mind.  Anyone?  

View Quote

Here's your answer.  Butthole surfing is what folks from Texas call a dog that has intestinal worms and slides on its ass to scratch.  We do this in honor of our Illinois brothers.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:59:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I always love those Bios where they say, "he excelled in this or that", but ended up in a band.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 9:30:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 11:13:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Arock I am flabbergasted at your knowledge of the history of the BH Surfers. It doesn't seem like your "kind of music". Then again, I listen to Frank Chacksfield Orchestra every now and then, so....
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 11:15:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Arock I am flabbergasted at your knowledge of the history of the BH Surfers. It doesn't seem like your "kind of music". Then again, I listen to Frank Chacksfield Orchestra every now and then, so....
View Quote

BD, I go back to the 1965 days of Kenny and the Kasuals, the band Johnny Rotten cited as his source of inspiration.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 11:22:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Horrible things come to my mind too.  I picture a frightfully large sphincter.  One big-ass butthole...has to be big enough to surf in.  Then I picture dark waves, crashing and lapping across the butt cheeks.  And on windy days, the stench is intolerable.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 11:23:17 AM EDT
[#16]
WOW! That's really cool. I just decided you were one notch cooler. Thrasher punk nostalgia!

Kenny and the Kasuals were originally from Dallas weren't they? 60's garage band?
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 11:32:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Independant Worm Saloon - the Ultimate BHS CD.

I dont give a f*** about the FBIIIIIII, I dont give a f*** about the CIAAAAAA....

Can I see your drivers license and registration?
Uh Certainly
What you doin?
Chewin chocolate
Where'd you get it?
Doggie dropped it.

[b]punk rules![/b]

edited to add: I never claimed to be normal...
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 11:36:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
WOW! That's really cool. I just decided you were one notch cooler. Thrasher punk nostalgia!

Kenny and the Kasuals were originally from Dallas weren't they? 60's garage band?
View Quote

Yeah Kenny Wayne's first band used to play the Studio Club on Cherry Lane back in the mid-60's.  Texas had some good garage bands around then...  Mouse and the Trapps over in Longview, 13th Floor Elevators (Roky Erikson) from Houston, the albino twins Johnny and Edgar Winter brothers' bands, Janis (and her mentor Chet Helms), Steve Miller from Highland Park and Boz Skaggs who used to jam in each others' bands, then Steve Stills, Ray Wiley Hubbard, BW Stevenson and others from long ago used to hang out together.

We built AM radios that could receive New York stations and listened to shows like "Bleeker Street" on WABC in the early morning hours when they played folks like The Blues Project, Velvet Underground, Leonard Cohen and Laura Nyro.

Oh yeah, our pets are named after the Sex Pistols.  Dog's name is Johnny Rotten and the cat's Sid Vicious.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 11:38:08 AM EDT
[#19]
BHS Rule!!!!  I've listened to them for some time now.  Bevis and Butthead did a lot to get them some publicity.  

Link Posted: 12/30/2002 11:48:05 AM EDT
[#20]
The BH-S song "Pepper" was an anthem at my frat parties. At one time I knew the lyrics by heart.

May be its just me but it always reminded me of a narrative from a Quntin Tarentino movie. Either that or "The Usuall Suspects"...
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 1:30:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Can't remember which one it is, but the father of one is known in the Dallas area for his long running kid's show.  He was known as Mr. Rodgers and his show was Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 2:04:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 2:24:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah Dallas bands.  Like Drowning Pool.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 2:36:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Butthole Surfers - Pepper

Marky got with Sharon
Sharon got Cherice
She was sharing Sharon's outlook on the topic of disease
Mikey had a facial scar and
Bobby was a racist
They were all in love with dyin'
They were doing it in Texas
Tommy played piano like a kid out in the rain
And then he lost his leg in Dallas
He was dancin with a train
They were drinking from a fountain
That was pouring like an avalanche
Coming down the mountain

I don't mind the sun sometimes
The images it shows
I can taste you on my lips and
Smell you in my clothes
Cinnamon and sugary
And softly spoken lies
You never know just how to look
Through other people's eyes

Some will die in hot pursuit
In fiery auto crashes
While sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life
And drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche
Coming down the mountain

Another Mikey caught a knife
While arguing in traffic
Flipper died a natural death
He caught a nasty virus
Then there was the ever present
Football player-rapist
They were doing it in Texas

Holly caught a bullet
But it only hit his leg
Well, it should have been a better shot and
Got him in the head
They were drinking from a fountain
That was pouring like an avalanche
Coming down the mountain

I don't mind the sun sometimes
The images it shows
I can taste you on my lips and
Smell you in my clothes
Cinnamon and sugary
And softly spoken lies
You never know just how you look
Through other people's eyes

-Troy
View Quote

AKA the fake beck song.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 2:42:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm pretty sure it pre-dates Beck.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#26]
I hope the Butthole Surfers and Bare Naked Ladies never collaborate.  Imagine, the Bare Naked Butthole Surfers. [shock]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 3:03:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 3:04:33 PM EDT
[#28]

In fiery auto crashes
While sifting through my ashes

View Quote

Wasn't this somebody's sig line for a while on this forum?

BTW I remember the BH surfers played in Germany around 1986 or so, and the interview with them in the local paper had the headline, in English, "Butthole Surfers-Slogan: Better reach down and grab something brown".  I can only imagine what they were referring to...[:X*]  
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 3:16:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure it pre-dates Beck.
View Quote

Nope

Beck hit it big around 92-93 with loser off of mellow gold

Pepper came out 96-97 on electriclarryland
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 3:18:26 PM EDT
[#30]
I stand corrected. [:)]
Can I go now?

Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:07:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Geez, I can't believe this silly thread is still going.  [rolleyes]
View Quote

These are the things that make AR15.com great.  And this is a MONDAY night.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:40:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I hope the Butthole Surfers and Bare Naked Ladies never collaborate.  Imagine, the Bare Naked Butthole Surfers. [shock]
View Quote

[puke]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:41:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The BH-S song "Pepper" was an anthem at my frat parties.
View Quote

Please say it aint so!!!  You were a frat boy? and to think I used to have some respect for you [:)]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Imagine a collaboration between Butthole Surfers and the Backstreet Boys... naw, I'd rather not.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 5:56:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Horrible things come to my mind too.  I picture a frightfully large sphincter.  One big-ass butthole...has to be big enough to surf in.  Then I picture dark waves, crashing and lapping across the butt cheeks.  And on windy days, the stench is intolerable.
View Quote

[puke]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top