Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2002 12:48:12 AM EDT
I posted this in the Tactics and Training Forum and am hoping it will get more exposure here.

I was just perusing their website and came across their [url=http://www.gunsite.com/T_DSCRP/TD_223_/td_223_.html]Basic .223 Carbine Course[/url] description.  I have their [i]Tactical Carbine I[/i] video and am starting to entertain the possibility of taking a trip to Arizona for the course, once I finish assembling my M4gery.  I have heard a great deal about their reputation through other people, but have not read much about them here at ARFCOM.  My first question for you guys is: [b]Is the training offerred at Gunsite worth the expense? Why or why not?[/b] I am definitely interested in replies from folks working in Law Enforcement or who are active/former U.S. Military members who can compare their experiences at Gunsite, if applicable, to the quality of training they received in their respective occupations.  My final question is [b]Does anyone know why they specifically prohibit M855 ammunition at their facility?[/b]  I don't know much about this round, other than it is used by our military, and am having trouble thinking of a reason to prohibit its use in a training regimen such as the one offered at Gunsite.  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 1:13:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a number of friends whose department sent them to gunsite for a tactical pistol class. When they came back they all wore band-aids on their thumbs from loading magazines all the time. They all enjoyed it and they also said they learned a lot from it.

From what I hear the Yavapai County SWAT team will go there and act as bad guys every once in a while.

Gunsite is about 45 minutes away from where I live and in the 5 years I've been here I never had a chance to go there. It's a goal of mine for the next 5 years though...
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 9:38:43 AM EDT
[#2]
BTT
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 9:53:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Sent you an IM.

Link Posted: 12/30/2002 2:35:01 PM EDT
[#4]
 I went to Gunsite in 1989 and took basic pistol to transition from the revolver to the auto. If you can get some training at Gunsite, go for it. When I went there were guys from all around including a Seal team and some guys who transport nuclear stuff stateside for the Dept of Energy along with Customs, Border patrol, and other guys. There was also one guy who worked in a warehouse somewhere in California.
 This guy had no draw, couldn't shoot, had a softball Govt model in a holster that looked like it was made from a Tandy leather kit at camp, and had no mindset.
 At the end of the week this guy could stand with his back to some pepper poppers and when the whistle blew he could spin, draw, and shoot down 7 in less than 5 seconds. They taught him that in a week. He was also mentally prepped and had plans to buy a street pistol.
 Most regular LEO courses are virtual sobriety tests and most guys could pass them drunk. They also emphasize liability and dept policies that are not state law instead of a pure win/stay alive mindset.
 If Arizona seems far check out Thunder Ranch. I also hear good things about Blackwater. If you itemize, you can deduct it all as training.
 There is another side to Gunsite training that isn't so obvious until you leave and get in some shit and you feel different than before. It does something to you.

Link Posted: 12/30/2002 2:39:26 PM EDT
[#5]
M855 is prohibited because it tears up the steel targets and there is a heightened risk of ricochet.

Gunsite's training is WAY ahead of anything you're going to get in the military, that's why they send folks to places like Gunsite, MISS, or Blackwater.

Link Posted: 12/31/2002 5:10:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all of your input guys. I'll be visiting my wife's grandparents in Tucson next year and was thinking of taking an extra week of vaction for Gunsite.  It sounds like a great program and I'm getting excited! If anyone else has experience there or knows someone who does, I would love to hear your thoughts/stories.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 10:19:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, it's worth going to. Only you can decide if it's worth the expense.
M855 is prohibited because you wil shoot on steel plates from time to time... I've actually yet to attend a school that allows the use of 855.

BTW: Check your IM.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 10:35:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Anyone know how Gunsite compares to Frontsite?  I live in the Phoenix area, so Gunsite is definately closer.  However, if you shop around, you can buy (usually on eBay) certificates to Frontsite classes for MUCH less than what Gunsite offers comparable classes for.  

Any opinions on the relative merits of the two facilities?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top