Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2014 6:23:34 AM EDT
Looking to buy a quick access pistol safe for storing my Glock, preferably under $100. I want something that will be easy to get to if something goes bump in the middle of the night.

Recommendations?
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:25:59 AM EDT
[#1]
FAS1 Safe - Over your price range, but worth a look.

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:27:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Recommendations?
View Quote

Spend more than $100.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:34:22 AM EDT
[#3]
You need remember only ONE word:

SIMPLEX

It is a type of MANUAL lock (i.e. no batteries to fail).  Any safe with this type of lock should do.  It is the type of lock pictured in the video above.  There are less-expansive safes with SIMPLEX locks.

Again NOTHING with batteries!!!!
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:44:56 AM EDT
[#4]
V-Line brand with Simplex lock.

Do not get an electronic lock....there are threads all over showing how much they suck when they fail
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:47:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

SIMPLEX

It is a type of MANUAL lock (i.e. no batteries to fail).  Any safe with this type of lock should do.  It is the type of lock pictured in the video above.  There are less-expansive safes with SIMPLEX locks.

View Quote
That.

I have a Fort Knox.

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:48:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got a Gunvault and I've been really happy with it.  Simple and inexpensive.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001C601KA/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?qid=1398696403&sr=8-8&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:49:29 AM EDT
[#7]
This thread is relevant to my interests.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:50:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quick access safe is an oxymoron. Get a bedside holster (unless you have kids in your bedroom of course).

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:50:39 AM EDT
[#9]
You are about to get your ass handed to you about how a pistol is NG for home defence.
It must be an AR or a 12 gauge  (forget pcc's).
Also you will be told that you're pistol is only good enough to get you to your AR.
Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:50:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've got a Gunvault and I've been really happy with it.  Simple and inexpensive.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001C601KA/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?qid=1398696403&sr=8-8&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70
View Quote

I think I just might have to get this....
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:51:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:52:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I recently bought a Sentry Quick Access pistol safe for my nightstand gun.  I got it on sale at Home Depot (about $80, I think).  4 buttons that light up when you press any of them.  Gas strut opens the lid quickly once the combination is entered.  I am very please with it. I don't expect it to be burgler proof, but it will keep my son from gaining access to the pistol.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:53:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quick access safe is an oxymoron. Get a bedside holster (unless you have kids in your bedroom of course).

http://www.tigerholstersystems.com/images/TWS-Bed_full_1911_cant_400.jpg
View Quote

Yep, have a son.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:56:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

SIMPLEX

View Quote

Alternatively, get two electronic ones with a pistol in each, so that if/when one fails, you've got a backup.

Two is one.  

I've got GunVaults already and no real need to switch, but yeah, you really want a Ft. Knox or similar Simplex box.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:30:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yep, have a son.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.tigerholstersystems.com/images/TWS-Bed_full_1911_cant_400.jpg

Yep, have a son.

Understandable.

I would then suggest a simple safe on top of your nightstand. I've had success with one of these at the end of my bed on top of a nightstand:

I like it because it doubles as storage for important things, and it's flat on top so I can put things on top of it too. The "Gunvaults" and "Speedvaults" are nice, but nothing beats a traditional safe. It's just as fast as those "Speedvaults", and arguably even faster because my flashlight, extra mags, phone, etc., are all right there.

Also when not in use, it doubles as an inexpensive decoy for thieves (since I don't store firearms in it and it's hard to tell what's inside because of how heavy and large it is). It's small enough for them to walk away with, but it's large enough to make it the only thing they're able to take. With the little "Speedvaults" and such, if they're empty, thieves can easily tell and will pass them up for your other valuables (this is just my assumption and I have no facts to back it up, but I think it sounds good ).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top