Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2014 7:04:10 PM EDT
If not, I'm declaring this to be it.  

We got a late start this year because I wasn't sure if I was selling the house or not.  Keeping it, so finally got stuff planted over Easter weekend.  Growing season is long enough here I should still get some good stuff from it.  

My meager little garden:

This year we're growing basil again.  Did really well last year and fresh basil is awesome to cook with.

Also have about 8 tomoato plants of various sizes and varieties, plus jalapeno, serrano, habanero, thai, and cayenee peppers, some texas sweet onions, and zucchini squash.  

Planted a little blackberry bush last year that may actually produce this year, and I'm going to start canning this year so I still need to get around to picking up one more container for cucumbers so I can make some pickles.  

What are yall growing this year?  Share some pics.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:09:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I gave up because I got tired of feeding the deer
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Currently growing :

Trinidad Scorpion peppers
leeks
green onions
new Mexico peppers
dragon peppers
Heirloom Radishes
sweet peppers
heirloom carrots
Cherokee purple tomatoes
cilantro/flat parsely/oregano/rosemary /sage /mint /savory /basil
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:43:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

heirloom carrots
View Quote

Carrots and potatoes are both something I've considered.  Thinking about taking a shovel to that crappy no grass area behind the garden and adding a 3rd bed next year.

We've tried bell peppers in the past, anaheims, things like that.  Can never get them to grow big enough to make it worth it, so I'm sticking to small and hot peppers this year.  They seem to grow really well and produce a lot for me.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:48:56 PM EDT
[#4]
8 tomatoes in those small plot? or are they bigger then they appear? I only grow 8 plants myself but they get huge over 8 feet tall and I get some tomatoes last year that were over 1 1/2 pounds per. I also do 3 types of corn, 3 types of potatoes, white and red onions 100 hundred each and 2 types of garlic. I also do 6 bell peppers of various colors and 2 jalapeno peppers. I have 3 blueberries in containers and 100 albino strawberry plants in 2 small homemade towers.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:01:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
8 tomatoes in those small plot? or are they bigger then they appear? I only grow 8 plants myself but they get huge over 8 feet tall and I get some tomatoes last year that were over 1 1/2 pounds per. I also do 3 types of corn, 3 types of potatoes, white and red onions 100 hundred each and 2 types of garlic. I also do 6 bell peppers of various colors and 2 jalapeno peppers. I have 3 blueberries in containers and 100 albino strawberry plants in 2 small homemade towers.
View Quote

Each bed is about 12 feet long ( I think, I'll have to go measure).  Yeah, they get a little crowded in there.  My family has always packed tomatoes in tight.  Doesn't seem to keep them from growing or producing and keeps any other plants from coming up with them.

Mine also don't get 8 feet tall, so maybe if they did I would change my strategy.  5 feet or so is about the max.  Heat down here must stunt their growth or something.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:26:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Carrots can grow like weeds. I have to thin them out. We're planning to freeze some and sweet pickle some.

I'm also planning to turn some radishes into kimchi.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:34:49 PM EDT
[#7]
It's my first year, I have tomatoes, bush beans, sugar snap peas, squash and herbs planted, as well as having just blanked blueberry bushes and two cherry trees. I'll see fruit from those in three years but my house came with three well yielding plums!
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:35:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Official thread? Ill play. We are having another late spring here in North Dakota but we don't usually plant till the end of may anyway. I usually do a little of everything but with the divorce I've had no place to start tomatoes and peppers.  I'm going to try my hand at tobacco this year. I bought 100 seeds each of 5 varieties and figure if it works I might be able to smoke a much better grade of tobacco and save more money than any other type of gardening.  I do a little selling over facebook and cucumbers sold so well I'm going to put in over 5000 square feet of them. I'm lucky that the ex father in law wants to keep me around, has quite a spread and say I can do basically whatever I want. Hopefully the weather cooperates a little more this year, we went 2 months without rain last year.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:37:55 PM EDT
[#9]
74 the heat doesn't bother tomatoes, it actually needs high temps to turn the fruit. It gets plenty hot here in the summer 105 plus and is most days close to 100 or more.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:51:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I heard a 12 gauge solves that problem.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:09:08 PM EDT
[#11]
You've got room for garlic. Just plant it and leave it alone.

Cucumbers in a pot? I'd like to see that!
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:10:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In my experience .270 works too.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:13:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shooting a .270 off your front porch in your underwear and rubber boots isn't redneck enough.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top