Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2014 12:00:42 PM EDT
Got some high grade cream.

Added a little cultured buttermilk and let it sit for a day. It got thick like creme fraiche. Tasted good.

Put the cream into a stand mixer and started mixing.

Some buttermilk started to separate after a few minutes but not much.

Whole thing then turns into whipped cream/creme fraiche combination and has not changed for over an hour of mixing.

No butter. No buttermilk. Just slightly sour whipped cream.

WTF?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:13:21 PM EDT
[#1]
You need a  quart jar, some raw cow milk and a plump, gentle elderly lady in a front porch rocking chair humming "Rock of Ages".

At least that's how I remember my grandmother making it.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:14:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You need a  quart jar, some raw cow milk and a plump, gentle elderly lady in a front porch rocking chair humming "Rock of Ages".

At least that's how I remember my grandmother making it.

View Quote

This, sans the gentle elderly lady.  You can do it yourself.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:24:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Try lighting a few candles next time to get your self in the mood, you might be more productive that way
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:27:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Got some high grade cream.

Added a little cultured buttermilk and let it sit for a day. It got thick like creme fraiche. Tasted good.

Put the cream into a stand mixer and started mixing.

Some buttermilk started to separate after a few minutes but not much.

Whole thing then turns into whipped cream/creme fraiche combination and has not changed for over an hour of mixing.

No butter. No buttermilk. Just slightly sour whipped cream.

WTF?
View Quote

Use the lowest setting or, get a hand-powered mixer?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:27:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah. I know you can shake it.

But, many recipes online are using stand mixers, food processors, and blenders. I have a stand mixer so I used it.

I know some recipes say that it may go through a whipped cream phase before the separation, and many whipped cream recipes warn that overwhipping can create butter.

I've been whipping the shit out of this cream for nearly two hours and all I have is whipped cream.

The cream was not UHT pasteurized.

Is there a fix? Should I put in some ice cubes? Refrigerate it? Heat it? Pull a vacuum on it to force out the air?

I am totally stumped.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:31:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not a master butter maker or anything, but from what I remember, to make butter you needed to really beat the milk around. I made mine in a glass jar and shook the hell out of it for about 5 minutes. Just using a mixer might not be a violent enough process to separate the milk into butter and buttermilk.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:33:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I have put it t in a mason jar with a marble and just shake it, it may take longer but it works

I also have an old butter churn that I have used once but it looks like I'm jerking off the damn thing lol
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:48:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Keep everything cold. Bowl, beaters, and cream should be kept in the freezer until well chilled.

We never cultured it, though. Just used cream and whipped the snot out of it. It'll go to whipped cream first, but if you keep going, the air gets forced out and the fat molecules glob together. Then just press out the water with a spatula.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Shake it baby, shake it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:55:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:59:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I just put unhomogenized milk in a quart jar and shake it well for 5 minutes.
I mean, it is so simple....
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:05:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Why in the blue fuck did you put buttermilk in it????  It sounds like the "culture" made your cream into crap.

Don't do all that dumb shit. Cream - jar -shake

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:07:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I think the mixer is likely to just whip the cream and not allow the butter to congeal, and even if it does, you'll end up with whipped butter. I've tried a few different methods using cream from raw milk, including a food processor (my recollection is that I got whipped butter and a nasty mess to clean up).

The fastest and easiest is definitely the jar shaking method. I also found that warming the cream made it turn into butter faster (put jar in a bowl of warm/hottish water).
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:22:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Not sure what the problem is. Everytime I make whipped cream with the kitchen-aid and get distracted I end up with butter
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:25:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not sure what the problem is. Everytime I make whipped cream with the kitchen-aid and get distracted I end up with butter
View Quote

It really is strange.

Still mixing. No change.

Too light and fluffy like whipped cream to shake in a  jar.

Maybe I will try some different temps and a blender.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:27:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Buttermilk fucked it up. Next time whip until the milk fats separate. Drain. Add a bit of water and whip again. Drain, chill, enjoy
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:32:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Why in the blue fuck did you put buttermilk in it????  It sounds like the "culture" made your cream into crap.

View Quote

This. You're trying too hard. We made butter like this in kindergarten for a project. It worked.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:03:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:10:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I use a food processor and I get the heavy cream close to room temp first. Some on here say cold, not me.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:35:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This. You're trying too hard. We made butter like this in kindergarten for a project. It worked.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The purpose of the cultured buttermilk was to make cultured butter. It would make no sense to make sweet butter when the goal was to make cultured butter.  

Anyway, I think it got whipped up too much, so, I give up. Failure.  It still tastes good though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:47:17 PM EDT
[#21]
My Kitchenaid has a mixing piece and a whipping piece. You want to use the mixing piece to make butter. Just use cream. The jar thing sounds less messy to clean though.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Set the cream out overnight at room temperature.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oropJD0CUxI
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top