Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:04:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the link.

I think 1930-1945 had to be the Golden Age of aviation. Such gorgeous aircraft of the time.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:06:48 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:10:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Very cool.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:11:24 AM EDT
[#4]
While I love me some Corsairs and Wildcats, that A-1 Skyraider picture is beautiful.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:11:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the link.  Those are some terrific photos!
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:13:19 AM EDT
[#6]
That P-38 in the foreground...

Is Glacier Girl. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glacier_girl
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:24:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Most of those planes are based out of Everett. Ive been lucky enough to see a fly by from one of those mustangs.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:27:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Awesome photos! Very inspirational work for a guy who shoots aviation photos as well! Thanks for the link!
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:48:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the link.

I think 1930-1945 had to be the Golden Age of aviation. Such gorgeous aircraft of the time.
View Quote

And the interesting part is, for many of the WWII birds, they designed and banged 'em together at an incredible rate.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:24:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
While I love me some Corsairs and Wildcats, that A-1 Skyraider picture is beautiful.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/698237882683278511.jpg  
View Quote

In before the CAS crowd starts the "rebuild the A1's".
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:29:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

And the interesting part is, for many of the WWII birds, they designed and banged 'em together at an incredible rate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the link.

I'm really, really hoping - REALLY hoping - that in the next 20-30 years, rapid prototyping and 3D printing technology gets to a point where making new 1:1 replicas of those old airframes becomes feasible.  Printed Allison and Merlin and Pratt & Whitney engine blocks, printed spars, laser-sintered propellers, extruded skin panels...

The big thing stopping new ones from being built is how hideously expensive they are to build individually versus on a massive assembly line (with an entire country geared up for war production behind that assembly line).  If we can print those labor and tooling-intensive parts instead...  
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:31:27 AM EDT
[#12]
That Corsair is one sexy beast.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:38:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the link.

A real testament to the engineering and manufacturing might thrown behind them
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:02:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm really, really hoping - REALLY hoping - that in the next 20-30 years, rapid prototyping and 3D printing technology gets to a point where making new 1:1 replicas of those old airframes becomes feasible.  Printed Allison and Merlin and Pratt & Whitney engine blocks, printed spars, laser-sintered propellers, extruded skin panels...

The big thing stopping new ones from being built is how hideously expensive they are to build individually versus on a massive assembly line (with an entire country geared up for war production behind that assembly line).  If we can print those labor and tooling-intensive parts instead...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the link.

It doesn't matter how quickly you can actually design and produce something, our current acquisition system has hamstringed our ability to produce weapon systems rapidly and efficiently.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:04:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It doesn't matter how quickly you can actually design and produce something, our current acquisition system has hamstringed our ability to produce weapon systems rapidly and efficiently.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the link.

I'm not talking about weapons acquisition, I'm talking about reproduction - actually, new production - vintage warbirds.  I want a P-38 for a retirement toy.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:09:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

For the uninformed, would some one please describe the armament in this picture. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:09:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm always torn between the Corsair and the Mustang...then there's the Tomahawk, that tub the Thunderbolt, and don't forget the Lightning...oh, they were all cool.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:10:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:13:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm not talking about weapons acquisition, I'm talking about reproduction - actually, new production - vintage warbirds.  I want a P-38 for a retirement toy.
View Quote

I happen to know where there is a P-38 for sale
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:16:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

For the uninformed, would some one please describe the armament in this picture. Thanks in advance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From inboard (I believe) Napalm, 250 lb low drag, 2.75" rockets, blue practice bomb, more 2.75's, and I'm not certain what is on the outboard 2 hardpoints on either wing

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:16:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

3 million?

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
[div style='margin-left: 40px;']

View All Quotes
Quoted:
[div style='margin-left: 40px;']
Quoted:

Well, there are times when...
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:18:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm always torn between the Corsair and the Mustang...then there's the Tomahawk, that tub the Thunderbolt, and don't forget the Lightning...oh, they were all cool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was a big Corsair/Mustang fan, until I learned about the Skyraider. .... If I hit the powerball, I will have one

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:18:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

3 million?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

3 million?

6.7 million http://www.trade-a-plane.com/detail/aircraft/Multi+Engine+Piston/1945/Lockheed/P38/1740958.html
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

From inboard (I believe) Napalm, 250 lb low drag, 2.75" rockets, blue practice bomb, more 2.75's, and I'm not certain what is on the outboard 2 hardpoints on either wing

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Various forms of a 'world of hurt'.  A-1 was a serious workhorse.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:40:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Five of those types were overhead when I was a kid.  Brings back memories.  

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:45:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Didn't make it to my bunk, sorry
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:43:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Thank you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.

The inboard weapon looks like a cannon pod, and I'd love to know what the ones furthest out on the wings are. Chaff dispensers, maybe?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top