Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/26/2014 8:49:08 PM EDT
As a fan which film stands the test of time more? I know Alien is a suspense movie and Aliens is a Action flick but they are after all in the same series.
I like Alien but for me it's Aliens.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:51:29 PM EDT
[#1]
well its been 35 years since Alien was released and 28 since Aliens.  I'd say that both have stood the test of time.  i guess that means that the answer is 'Get Both!'

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Predator
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:52:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Predator
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:53:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I always preferred the original Alien to any of the sequels. I like the others, just like the first one best.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:55:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Aliens...
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:56:06 PM EDT
[#6]
n/m
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:56:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Sigourney in undies for me.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:56:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:56:49 PM EDT
[#9]
As far as my favorite it is Aliens then followed closely by Alien. Aliens 3 had potential to be great but ended up being meh. And don't get me started on that SYFY channel abomination of Aliens Resurrection.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:58:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote
In Aliens as they are getting out of the Sleep chambers when they focus on her leg you can clearly see bush protruding through her undies next to her leg.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:00:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Totally different films, totally different genres that share the same family.  It's sort of asking comparing Heat and The Godfather.  They're both crime flicks, but that's where it ends.  Alien is horror, Aliens is action.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:03:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
In Aliens as they are getting out of the Sleep chambers when they focus on her leg you can clearly see bush protruding through her undies next to her leg.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Niiiiiiicccceeeee!
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:27:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Funny, introducing the GF to both films tonight - Aliens wins hands down.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:53:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Aliens. Not that Alien wasn't a great movie.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:57:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Prometheus
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:00:40 AM EDT
[#16]

I think ALIENS has had a larger cultural influence than ALIEN.

ALIEN had the chest burster, but ALIENS had the Colonial Marines which has been knocked off in tons of video games.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:00:49 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

As far as my favorite it is Aliens then followed closely by Alien. Aliens 3 had potential to be great but ended up being meh. And don't get me started on that SYFY channel abomination of Aliens Resurrection.
View Quote

and the horrible AvP movies, absolute trash

oh, and Aliens for me (but I love watching Alien great flick)

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:02:51 AM EDT
[#18]
take it up with vasquez.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:05:07 AM EDT
[#19]
I like Aliens better for the action, but Alien is a better horror flick. Scared the shit out of me as a kid. Didn't like the one after Aliens.

I always think of the dinner table scene in Alien when I'm helping a patient with a hernia up off the exam table at work.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:08:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Didn't like the one after Aliens.
View Quote

There are no ALIEN movies after ALIENS.

Much like there are no movies after Highlander and Return of the Jedi.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:12:34 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Aliens. Not that Alien wasn't a great movie.
View Quote
This.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:15:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Alien was a better film. I had better writing, directing and acting all around coupled with the fact that it kicked open the door for so much sci/fi horror to follow, there is no way it is not the clear leader.

on the other hand the sequel had a little girl to gush over guns and bombs and shit so it should clearly be better.

I will say the directors cut of Aliens is a much, much better flick than the theatrical version.

Edit to add:
I also happen to be  wearing a NOSTROMO crew shirt while I'm typing this...
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:15:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Filmmaker:  Scott > Cameron

Pop culture:  Cameron > Scott

Alien > Aliens simply because I CANT STAND BILL PAXTON.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:30:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:32:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

"I think this guy's a couple cans short of a six pack."

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:44:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I think ALIENS has had a larger cultural influence than ALIEN.

ALIEN had the chest burster, but ALIENS had the Colonial Marines which has been knocked off in tons of video games.
View Quote

Dunno about that. I was just nine when Alien was released, but I remember there was a metric truckload of buzz and horror over the film, much more so than Aliens ever had.

Just like you never forget your first girl or car, you never forget your first chest burster.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:06:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

.....I like Alien but for me it's Aliens.

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:11:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Alien is the only movie to ever scare me.

The premise, writing, directing, and shooting were better.

Aliens had some great elements, and it was a fast paced action flick. It was fun, but not the same caliber of film.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:23:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Alien was a groundbreaking sci fi horror masterpiece directed by Ridley Scott.
Aliens was a great action sci fi masterpiece directed by James Cameron.

I find them both about equal as favorites.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:27:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Both damn fine movies, I don't either is better than the other.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:32:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Like many have already said. They really are two great, but very differnent movies. I remember the first time I saw Alien, it scared the shit out of me. It was and always will be, in my opinion, a horror movie. Aliens was an awesome action movie. Both were high quality flicks, that have stood the test of time.

Get both?

As for the rest in the series, meh.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:34:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Aliens is the best movie of that universe. No question.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:41:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Aliens is the best movie of that universe. No question.
View Quote

yup
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:52:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Aliens had some great elements, and it was a fast paced action flick. It was fun, but not the same caliber of film.
View Quote

Alien was a landmark in filmmaking.  It had a tremendous effect on people in the theater, one could smell the stink of fear.  I went with a bunch of friends to see it, in the midst of the chest bursting scene the guy sitting next to me stood straight up, groaned loudly, and passed out cold on his feet.  It scared the crap out of the audience!  LOL
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:56:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Hard to say. Alien was a very good suspense movie. Aliens is a damn good action scifi movie and is one of very few movies that should be mandatory for those fucktards in Holywierd to have to study on how to make a sequel. T2 is another of those movies.

3 could have been so much better.
4 was meh.

I got the 4 pack on blu ray.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:58:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Didn't like the one after Aliens.

Amen to that.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:00:06 AM EDT
[#37]
I vote for aliens on the sole fact that there isn't a little girls whining "RIIIIIPPPPLEEEEEY" for half the movie.  Like the scene in Temple of Doom when Kate Capshaw is screaming "INDY" the whole time.  It broke a part of that movie for me.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:10:18 AM EDT
[#38]
I like the second one much better, the action was great, I remember seeing it in the theatre when it first came out and its was like wow.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:12:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Stands the test of time? They're both timeless masterpieces and stand as equals as far as I'm concerned. One made in the heyday of slashers, the other action.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:18:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:19:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:22:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Aliens
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:37:00 AM EDT
[#43]
You really can't compare the two as they are if radically different genres. The original was a horror/suspense flick and the other was a rollicking action flick. Both are excellent in their own way.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#44]
I recently downloaded Aliens Directors Cut version, made it even more my favorite,

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:52:31 AM EDT
[#45]
The first gets the nod simply due to the originality in creating the premise, plus its influence in popularizing the semi-dystopian, grubby and run-down space travel concept.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Watching the making of Aliens Sigourney went down a peg or two in my book

During the segment on how the weapons for Aliens were made she went on this derp fest about how she is very anti gun and so on.

Sigourney Weaver, during initial filming:

"It's actually hard for me morally to justify being in a film with so many guns.

"I just find it... very upsetting. And that's the biggest problem for me, is that I, reading the script, I had no idea how...martial the atmosphere would be, and how much emphasis that would have.

"I give money to anti-gun legislation, and..

"I mean, I never, I never even go to see movies about guns. Especially killing people. I can't, you know, I mean I just think... Oooh, I think it would be verydifficult for an actor. You'd really have to sort of, do a number on yourself, you know."

Sigourney Weaver, filmed during the original shooting of Aliens:

"I don't think Ripley is a gun person. At all. And I want to make sure that in those scenes, although I look like I'm handling it, I don't turn into a Marine. I'm not a soldier. I never wanna be a soldier.

"The thing that scares me about the guns is that after you've been using then a couple of days, you go 'Oh, well, you know, this is...' you know, it, you sort of get into it. And I think that's what happens to people with real guns, and I think, I think Jim Cameron's very anti-gun too, in his own way, but yet I think he's fascinated by them in a way that I'm not.

"I don't like that feeling you get after you've shot off a few rounds of "I'm Immortal" you know. It's just.. garbage."
So, familiarity breeds contempt. Or, in the case of some of the actors, love. For an "anti-gun" guy, Jim Cameron's made some hellacious gun advertisements blowup movies.

Sigourney Weaver, filmed for the 2003 special edition release:

"There were moments on Aliens where I had to shoot stunt dummies who were dressed as aliens. I would have to shoot stuntmen who were moving as aliens. And, um, I always thought it was amazing. We rehearse it, of course, in detail. But then they kinda left it to me. I mean I know they were blanks, but still the.. I mean, what if I'd flamed a real person, you know? They trusted me completely. And I have to say that once you start shooting, you get to lik... you know, the, the target practice alone was, you know, very, like (growls) you know. (With a smile.)

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 11:01:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Totally different films, totally different genres that share the same family.  It's sort of asking comparing Heat and The Godfather.  They're both crime flicks, but that's where it ends.  Alien is horror, Aliens is action.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 11:03:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080105002037/terminator/images/c/ce/Punk_Leader.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080105002037/terminator/images/c/ce/Punk_Leader.jpg

Paxton managed to die like a bitch in at least two movies with Michael Biehn.

The guy who had his heart punched out has had a rather good career, too.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 11:04:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Alien is a genuinely scary movie. Even today.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 11:05:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Aliens, Sigourney Weeaver waking up from hibernation was one of the best scenes.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top