Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/26/2014 6:45:10 PM EDT
The USAF just awarded Boeing/Lockheed Martin a big multi-year contract for 36 launches. It wasn't competitive and SpaceX says that it's existing(and much cheaper) rockets could be used for some of the launches.

The rockets the AF selected are using Russian-manufactured engines, so I guess now is as good of a time as any if Elon Musk wants to file a protest.

The Air Force buys United Launch Alliance rockets to launch school-bus-size satellites for spying, weather forecasting, communications, GPS and other experimental purposes. The government pays the company nearly $1 billion each year whether it launches six times or none.

Musk has taken issue with the cozy partnership and wants a piece of the military's contracts, which could be worth as much as $70 billion through 2030.

"These launches should be competed," he said. "If we compete and lose, that is fine. But why would they not even compete it?"

The company plans on filing the lawsuit in the U.S. Court of Federal Claims next week.
View Quote

LA Times

Youtube link to the press conference
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:52:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Good.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:57:18 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI
Sole source is one of the biggest licenses to print money on a govt contract.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:58:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Good.
View Quote

+1

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:00:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Meh they didnt qualify for the contracts when they were bid, why should I care?
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:01:09 PM EDT
[#5]
A lot of contracts that the government has had over the years with Boeing stink.  

Wonder how many ex Pentagon brass Boeing has on the payroll these days.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm thinking its hard to break into the defense club.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:01:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Good, hope he wins.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:03:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

They weren't bid contracts.  Did you read at all?
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:04:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He did not.  And apparently the waste of his tax money isn't a reason to care.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:04:51 PM EDT
[#10]
He's a foreigner. Fuck him.

Huh, apparently not. He has US citizenship and SpaceX is a US company. I thought he was a Boer and that SpaceX was Canadian.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:06:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes or no is Space X certified to deliver DOD payloads?
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:06:12 PM EDT
[#12]

ULA For The Win!!

Fuck SpaceX.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:09:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I know many people from SpaceX, the company is doing a fine job and in a much shorter time frame than any Govt. run agency could do. They are being "out lobbied" by special interests.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:09:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you know?

And if the DoD refuses to certify anyone else to deliver DoD payloads regardless of whether they have the capability then do you still call it a competitive bid process?

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:09:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The whole point of the lawsuit is that they have been given literally zero avenues to obtain that cert.  They've tried and keep hitting a bureaucratic wall that only exists to make sure the big 3 defense corps get big chunks of taxpayer cash on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:09:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Competition will breed better products.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:12:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:13:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:13:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Do you know?

And if the DoD refuses to certify anyone else to deliver DoD payloads regardless of whether they have the capability then do you still call it a competitive bid process?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you know?

They are in process of being certified when the the Air Force bid this round of launces, to me it sounds like they were late to the party.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:14:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  There is a lot more to sending satellites into space than the initial launch cost.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:15:16 PM EDT
[#21]
In before SpaceX CEO dies from drug overdose, and bored of directors sells it to Boeing.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:16:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

They are in process of being certified when the the Air Force bid this round of launces, to me it sounds like they were late to the party.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you know?

They have already been awarded missions for the DoD.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:18:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Alternatively certification is being slow walked by the military in order to protect their close relationship with U.S. Launch Alliance (i.e. Boeing + Lockheed).

As someone with some knowledge in the industry, let me assure you that anyone that can meet the criteria for launching a vehicle that rendezvouses and docks with the ISS has more than enough capability to launch a DoD payload.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:20:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Alternatively certification is being slow walked by the military in order to protect their close relationship with U.S. Launch Alliance (i.e. Boeing + Lockheed).

As someone with some knowledge in the industry, let me assure you that anyone that can meet the criteria for launching a vehicle that rendezvouses and docks with the ISS has more than enough capability to launch a DoD payload.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Were they certified at the time of the bid ? Because it is a disservice to the taxpayer to accept a bid that is not does not meet the criteria.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:27:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Were they certified at the time of the bid ? Because it is a disservice to the taxpayer to accept a bid that is not does not meet the criteria.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They should of been certified BEFORE the bidding was closed but U.S. Launch Alliance (i.e. Boeing + Lockheed) used there paid for politicians and military commanders to slow down the process.

Its only a matter of time, once they get in the race with the other big 3 the myth that sending things to space costs to much with go away because it was artificiality inflated by the big 3.  They like there government FSA money and will do any thing to keep it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:30:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

They should of been certified BEFORE the bidding was closed but U.S. Launch Alliance (i.e. Boeing + Lockheed) used there paid for politicians and military commanders to slow down the process.

Its only a matter of time, once they get in the race with the other big 3 the myth that sending things to space costs to much with go away because it was artificiality inflated by the big 3.  They like there government FSA money and will do any thing to keep it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I should have been given the contract to build higgen boats, but I wasnt. we can deal with the reality of the situation or space X can waste time and money trying to sue for contracts that they were not qualified for at the time of the bid. The reality is they are just now getting certification for DOD launches, they are free to bid on future contracts.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:32:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What don't you get? If the DoD is slow walking accepting SpaceX as a launch provider then the fact they aren't certified means nothing.  This really isn't that hard to understand.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:33:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have a reliable source and credible inside information  to support your specific assertions of course.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:35:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

What don't you get? If the DoD is slow walking accepting SpaceX as a launch provider then the fact they aren't certified means nothing.  This really isn't that hard to understand.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dec 2 of 2013 "This flight represents one of many certification requirements jointly agreed to between the Air Force and SpaceX," Lt. Gen. Ellen Pawlikowski, SMC commander, said of the September launch.
Seems like they are not certified but on the track to being.

Didnt they just get their 3rd successful launch?

Look I hope Space X can drive down the price, but at the end of the day they were never going to compete or win any of these launces, the next set sure. This is just wasitng time and moeny
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:37:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Government is a bloated good old boy network , color me surprised
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:46:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Dec 2 of 2013 "This flight represents one of many certification requirements jointly agreed to between the Air Force and SpaceX," Lt. Gen. Ellen Pawlikowski, SMC commander, said of the September launch.

View Quote

Third successful launch to the ISS, several prior successful launches that did not dock with the space station.

Ask yourself this ..... as a consumer of launch services in what way is it in your interest to sign a long term multi-year contract just prior to a new provider coming on line which promises to dramatically lower cost?  Why not sign a short term contract to bridge the gap?  Would any company in the private sector do something like this?

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:49:37 PM EDT
[#32]
There is a fine line to be walked here between preserving the industrial base and giving ULA a federal mandate to never try to compete with cost.

The reality is, if SpaceX can get its launch rate where it needs to be ULA is out of business. Atlas V is marginally cheaper than Delta IV, uses relatively cheap Russian engines, and still can't compete on price with a Falcon 9, which might wind up with a reusable booster stage.

ULA is going to have to develop a new launch vehicle to compete with SpaceX (and eventually Blue Origin, and maybe further down the line XCor, and TSC), Just from a fly-to-by ratio standpoint when you're milling out 90% of the aluminum you buy to make your tank barrels and relying on an outside supplier for domes while you're competitor is using stringer and skin construction and flying 90% of the material he is buying and is almost completely vertically integrated you're not going to be cost competitive.

As far as I'm concerned, with the exception of national asset payloads, if it's a U.S. government launch it should be open to competitive bid for US launch providers.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:49:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Third successful launch to the ISS, several prior successful launches that did not dock with the space station.

Ask yourself this ..... as a consumer of launch services in what way is it in your interest to sign a long term multi-year contract just prior to a new provider coming on line which promises to dramatically lower cost?  Why not sign a short term contract to bridge the gap?  Would any company in the private sector do something like this?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Risk perhaps.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:51:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many services providers claim to provide dramatically lower costs? All of them. How many actually meet that pledge? At the end of the day Space X was not in position to bid the contract at the time and today they still arent. They will be in the short future, but wasting time in courts is not going to help anyone. The courts are not going to rule in Space X favor, ULA is still going to get their money. I guess taxpayers can pay lawyers some more cash.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:52:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Risk perhaps.
View Quote

Boeing and Lockheed haven't been risk free in the launch services business in the past and they certainly haven't been cheap.  If you think SpaceX needs another year or two to build confidence, then why not sign a short term contract.  This seems to be a 6 year contract with built in extensions.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:53:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You have a reliable source and credible inside information  to support your specific assertions of course.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would it surprise you any if i handle shipping manifests and other material billing items for the gov and the aerospace industry in my simple job of truck driving.
To have the ability to get the correct amount of insurance you have to know the value of the load.

You would also be amused at how much info about costs to a company you can get from the paper work they stick in a trailer with the load.

So yea i'm sure i have a good grasp on the mark up you get to have when your the only one supplying the gov with something.

Much like the truckers and have certs from the DOD to haul for them, sure Joe blow would haul that gov fright for $3.50 a mile and make a killing but hes not certified with them so the good old boys that are charge 7.50+ a mile.

--------------------

I also have first hand knowledge about how much of a price hike the automotive unions have had on cars and trucks.
But posting proof makes them union boy's froth at the mouth and threaten you.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

ULA For The Win!!

Fuck SpaceX.

View Quote

Based on your location you're not going to be associated with either ULA, MSFC, or Aerojet-Rocketdyne. Personal ax to grind?
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:56:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:58:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

How many services providers claim to provide dramatically lower costs? All of them. How many actually meet that pledge? At the end of the day Space X was not in position to bid the contract at the time and today they still arent. They will be in the short future, but wasting time in courts is not going to help anyone. The courts are not going to rule in Space X favor, ULA is still going to get their money. I guess taxpayers can pay lawyers some more cash.
View Quote

SpaceX doesn't have to claim anything.  They are currently providing launch services to NASA at a much lower cost.  

And you didn't answer my question.  To quote you, SpaceX "will be in the short future" capable of providing these services (in fact they are capable today).  So if the DoD will have another capable launch provider available "in the short future", why let a long term contract to US Launch Alliance?  Why not a short term contract to bridge until your new lower cost provider is available?  Perhaps because ULA has the clout to get a long term contract cut that will lock out their lower cost competition for years and years?

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:00:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Boeing and Lockheed haven't been risk free in the launch services business in the past and they certainly haven't been cheap.  If you think SpaceX needs another year or two to build confidence, then why not sign a short term contract.  This seems to be a 6 year contract with built in extensions.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Risk perhaps.

That sounds reasonable but I'm not privy to the specifics of the launch requirements nor those of the payloads.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:04:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
There is a fine line to be walked here between preserving the industrial base and giving ULA a federal mandate to never try to compete with cost.

The reality is, if SpaceX can get its launch rate where it needs to be ULA is out of business. Atlas V is marginally cheaper than Delta IV, uses relatively cheap Russian engines, and still can't compete on price with a Falcon 9, which might wind up with a reusable booster stage.

ULA is going to have to develop a new launch vehicle to compete with SpaceX (and eventually Blue Origin, and maybe further down the line XCor, and TSC), Just from a fly-to-by ratio standpoint when you're milling out 90% of the aluminum you buy to make your tank barrels and relying on an outside supplier for domes while you're competitor is using stringer and skin construction and flying 90% of the material he is buying and is almost completely vertically integrated you're not going to be cost competitive.

As far as I'm concerned, with the exception of national asset payloads, if it's a U.S. government launch it should be open to competitive bid for US launch providers.
View Quote

Even if the AF stays with ULA rockets then there could still be a benefit if the open competition causes ULA to drop their prices.

In 2006 something similar happened with the US Army and Colt M4s, the Army released a notice regarding a new carbine competition, about a month later Colt revised their prices and the Army canceled the competition.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:05:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Do you know?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you know?

Depends on what Title 50 says.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:05:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yep....and most the cost of the Atlas and Delta is in the Upper Stage.  Most of the cost of Falcon is in the Lower Stage.

Guess which one is easier to re-use?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep....and most the cost of the Atlas and Delta is in the Upper Stage.  Most of the cost of Falcon is in the Lower Stage.

Guess which one is easier to re-use?

That makes perfect sense.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:06:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:09:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

SpaceX doesn't have to claim anything.  They are currently providing launch services to NASA at a much lower cost.  

And you didn't answer my question.  To quote you, SpaceX "will be in the short future" capable of providing these services (in fact they are capable today).  So if the DoD will have another capable launch provider available "in the short future", why let a long term contract to US Launch Alliance?  Why not a short term contract to bridge until your new lower cost provider is available?  Perhaps because ULA has the clout to get a long term contract cut that will lock out their lower cost competition for years and years?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Given the current situation will the courts rule in space x favor? Or will they say the af was ok to issue the contract and ual had the lowest qualified bid? Congress is oversight not the courts. Space x is wasting money and resources.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:10:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Deleted
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:11:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Raise of hands - how many here think that awarding a contract for military launches to a company that uses Russian engines is a good idea right now? Really? Why don't we just send the payloads to China and have them launch them, that would be really cheap.
View Quote

They would probably do it cost of materials alone.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:12:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Given the current situation will the courts rule in space x favor? Or will they say the af was ok to issue the contract and ual had the lowest qualified bid? Congress is oversight not the courts. Space x is wasting money and resources.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it is likely that the courts will rule that the block buy was too large given the expected time table for SpaceX to receive launch certification. If I were a betting man I would guess that the block buy gets truncated to between 15 and 20 launches.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top